Paint Guide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Feb 9, 2013.

1. jamesowen

jamesowen Registered

Ok, thanks.

2. FatCity

FatCity Registered

I don't know if this has been asked before, but are there any driver templates? What I want to try and do is put my face on one of the ingame drivers.
    Don't know if this can be done, but what the heck, I want to be famous and win a race lol.

If there are no templates, how can I do it with the current cars so it won't cause any mismatches.

3. Aleksi Elomaa

Aleksi Elomaa Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2013
  4. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

For which car?

If you're looking for the historic cars, there's a face image in the cars' MAS file that gets used. It's the same for every car, though, and editing it will cause mismatches. Only way would be to make your car 'standalone' as its own component and then modify it, AFAIK.

5. FatCity

FatCity Registered

Thanks to Aleksi and Ryno for the info, completely missed the driver templates post and have seen the drivers face in the mas file, thought that it would be the same for every car.
    So I will just have to see someway around it as it would be good for leagues to allow car and driver supplied skins if possible.

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Wanted to finaly start painting but I think i'm missing something, cant get it to work, halp!

Trying to paint a new Nissan GTR GT1 skin.
    created Dir in rf2. (settings/ngtr_car/NGTR_02/kikkoALT.dds)
    plugged a new skin from someone else just to see if it worked.
    reload in rf. neither custom nore renamed skin appear. original skin keeps dominating.
    Re-painted with random colours, save/check/nothing

Went through rf-guide, same as before. went through this thread, nawt.

I have auto-downloaded skins before. checked that as well, was a Howston skin. can even open the dds in photoshop and see how it looks.
    But in-game nothing. also when I got that skin I could not see the driver himself using it.

Probably a facepalm-solution but I don't care :)
    What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2013
  7. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

In case this is a "facepalm" thing... did you click the arrows at the bottom to cycle through different skins on the correct car?

8. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

9. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Reloading isn't working, you need to restart rf2 to see changes. Hopefully it's as simple as that and they appear when you check again.

This issue needs fixed though, reload used to work.. a while back.

Edit: A newly created dds appears for me when I reload, but any changes to an existing dds do not appear unless I exit and restart rf2.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2013
  10. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

Renaming all DDS files of the skin and hitting reload works as well. It's annoying and time consuming though.

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/16574-Build-342-Reload-button-in-car-spinner-doesn-t-work

11. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

When you created the folder, did you manually create it, or did you go into the game and choose to create directory with the button? If you manually did it, delete the folder and try by using the button in game.

12. Hectari

Hectari Registered

13. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Thx for the replies guys,

I did both, neither work.

Did all of the above previously and again today. renaming files, reloading skin, restarting rf2.
    I even updated DDS plugin from 8.23 to 8.55. (using CS3)

But I cant even get a custom skin from someone else showing. as said, from an auto-d/l and also grabbed a skin from the forums.
    Oddly enough I auto-downloaded skins before for the F3 and those I could see in-game.

I kinda forgot in which setting I opened dds files, the new version window could be set wrong?

Attached Files:

14. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Ran an event tonight, same driver I previously auto-got skin from was there. didn't show. went out, deleted his skin from settings, back in, icon next to his name was grey, then blue, then green. indicating transfer was successful (I assume)
    Still could not see his skin, others could.

Same with Hoover joining in with his custom skin.

I'm not even a hardcore painter either, just like to do teamskins so I think I will wait this one out. Poke me when its fixed :p

15. scott420247

scott420247 Registered

Hello Guys Had a buddy paint me a skin for the C6r Corvette and i was hoping someone could help me Name it right so it will show up in game,its meant to be a alternate skin for the #06 Vette any help would be appreciated thanks....

16. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

You can name it whatever you want, just add the "_alt".
    scottC6R_alt.dds as an example. Then you put the file in documents/rfactor2/userdata/player/settings/ISI_Corvette_C6RGT2_2009/C6R_06 folder.
    Then you start game, go to #6 Corvette, click Tuning, and browse variants until you find your scottC6R_alt skin.

17. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Ive followed the guides that I can find, and created my first clio skin.
    I can race offline with it no problem, but when I connect to my own server, I get booted saying vehicle not recognised...can anyone help please?
    Allow skin downloading is ticked in the dedicated server setup.

18. scott420247

scott420247 Registered

Thank you Hedlund got the file named used the ex you gave exact but it still doesn't show up when i added it to the folder there are 3 other skins that downloaded from others in servers. those files look like painted templates mine does not it shows the windows photo viewer icon,,also looked and all the alt skins in folder are 5.33 MB and mine is 10.6MB not sure what the problem is If anyone wants to take a look at it to see if there is a problem PM me and and ill send it to them..Thanks for the help
    also the guy that painted it does not have RF2 he paints alot of stuff for iracing so maybe something is different from what hes used to i dunno

19. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Was it just a new skin or did you create a new car/driver with it?
    Because the new car / driver does not work in Multiplayer (yet)

20. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

I used the option in the game to create a new driver and team...
    Not sure how to do it apart from that way :(