Race incident! Who is to blame ?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTClub_wajdi, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Duvel

Duvel Registered

Really? Boat loads of smoke from locking up (so he will be panicking), off the track and onto the curb (slippery). He knows someone is behind, equalling more panic. Add all that up and you most likely have a driver who has lost control, maybe not so much of the car, but of his composure.

Sorry, but in real life no one would take a risk to push that hard past someone when no other cars were around them, only in a sim.

2. TTupsi

TTupsi Registered

Did you see the Vettel vs. HRT video which was posted in this thread? :rolleyes:

3. Duvel

Duvel Registered

The person who posted that vid said pretty much the same as i have. I guess i should rephrase - no one who wants to avoid a possible hit would do that in real life, and look what happened in real life in that vid.

4. Provost

Provost Registered

Need to see more camera angels to see who's to blame. BUT from THAT view AlONE it looks like the car ahead should of kept it line to the left BUT the behind car should of pulled to the right abit more to avoid an incident.

5. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I really thought he was definitively out of the track!
    Ps: for that annoying person that all of you know: I'm not whining, I just wanted to make this 3d to discuss about questionable overtaking ! I think that this type of threads can only grow up rF2 community!

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Really I think there needs to be an etiquette guide. It's low on my list, but basically I think this one video points out that everyone needs to give everyone room, and that's good learning. :)

7. Golanv

Golanv Registered

8. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

:cool::)

9. Spadge

Spadge Registered

It was an avoidable racing incident. Both cars are to blame for trying to drive fast and not safely, or as we like to call it here "racing".

But really, the guy coming back onto the track had nowhere else to go and was trying to salvage a loss from a bad mistake, whereas the guy passing him should not have driven through his nose. There really wasn't anything for either party to gain from it, but at that point the guy with the most to lose was the one not giving the guy coming back onto the track room to do so, or spin out on grassy tyres or whatever he was going to do next if left alone.

Both drivers will have learned a lesson, move on and look forward to the next race.

10. PorscheMR6

PorscheMR6 Registered

GTClub_wajdi is right
    + Karti cuts across too soon

11. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

BS - whoever loses it, is responsible for checking they dont ram people coming back on track. SIMPLE>

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2013
  12. Hectari

Hectari Registered

People need to look closer and see that he ran wide but was not at any point actually off the track, 2 wheels still inside the white line.

Wide and off the racing line - yes, out of control - yes, but also ahead in the race and had the right to continue on the track on the inside line, (You're not supposed to stop when out on track and he shouldn't just drive off the track because someone is behind that can go around, the overtaking car needs to take care. Different if he ran wide at Eau Rouge and came back to the racing line at 50mph when you would be much safer off track away from apex) and at the point of contact was still within his reasonable personal space for the corner and was left no margin for error by wajdi. He makes error again and there's no time for either to evade. Pros and aliens make close passes look easy but it is not the way anyone in a pick up race should be doing it if it is obvious the other driver is all over the place.

If you pass too aggressively or bully by people for position or back markers you will at some point be a victim of your actions.. how many of the current crop of F1 world champions have made bad decisions? Or the whole grid of the 'elite'? This is racing, we learn as we go and there are things you can't learn from others, you have to learn through your own mistakes.

'By being a racing driver you are under risk all the time. By being a racing driver means you are racing with other people. And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, competing to win. And the main motivation is to compete for victory, it's not to come 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th. I race to win as long as I feel it's possible. Sometimes you get it wrong? Sure, it's impossible to get it right all the time. But I race designed to win, as long as I feel I'm doing it right.'

Ayrton Senna

Here's a great battle on 2 wheels between 2 world champions:

The aftermath and each rider's attitude:

13. Hectari

Hectari Registered

2 posts for 3 vids :confused:

This GP2 race is a joy to watch. It's not without it's incidents and drivers encroaching on each other's lines. But some of the racing is sublime:

These discussions are positive, it makes us think about our actions and helps us understand how to better our chances of fun each time we set off at lights out. It's also especially helpful for people new to sim racing, i remember when i didnt have a clue, probably still don't have much more of one, always something new to learn or revise! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2013
  14. Tony

Tony Registered

Yea Hectari - you also spotted that the car in front had never actually left the track, as you say - he'd kept 2 wheels track-side of the white line at all times, & he was at the apex first ...in a ****ty sort of way though, lol

Wajdi - you just needed to give him more room- you were past him anyway - so a bit of inexperience made you drive too close to him as he was presumably busy flooring his throttle again :rolleyes:

So no case for protesting from either side - racing incident

I'm admin & one of the stewards for our own league races & we do have racing rules on our forum (most league sites do I think)

Just occasionally a particular driver will keep coming into the "frame" after a race, but he usually changes his racing behaviour when he realises that no-one else is impressed with his racing..

In the end it's how you want to be seen by your peers - a crasher, or one of the good guys

15. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

There is a great series of race tutorials done by iRacing, I wont post the link as that is not the done thing but until ISI do their own this is maybe the best collection of race tutorials out there for sim racers. A search on youtube will find them :)

16. Jos

Jos Registered

hamilton's fault.

17. Novis

Novis Registered

Riding side-by-side is more fun than following each other around.

18. Schueppe

Schueppe Registered

Easier said then done, or in this example, even if he had driven left at the point of the accident and pulled of the track, he would have probably hit him near the apex.

19. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

The Prost approach is usually a good one for results.
    Always weigh ahead of time what can potentially be lost if the pass doesn't come off as planned.
    It's never a bad thing to re-group and try it at another 'safer' place on track.

20. Golanv

Golanv Registered

That is what good racing drivers are able to do, race hard and not cause accidents.
    Like in F1 there is few that are considered such that you know you can drive side by side thru corners and you know that they are not going to do anything stupid to jeopardize the race/health of drivers in question... and then there are the ones you wouldnt dare to try that with, because its a 50/50 chance are you going to able to finish the race after that.

It takes skill, experience and good nerves to be able to do that in real life, aswell as it does in sims. Learning to know your surroundings, dimensions and behavior of your vehicles, use of the mirrors and sounds to locate fellow drivers are the first steps towards safe and accident free racing.