Idea for use of the recently released Top Gear Test Track

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Loetkoe, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Loetkoe

Loetkoe Registered

I am planning to launch a site where every single rF2 car would be tested around the Top Gear Test Track in fixed circumstances (green track or maybe some rubber, sunny, some 20 C temperature etc). I have already found me a very competent driver, to whom I will refer to as the Reasonably Priced Driver because I haven't thought of a nickname for him yet (and he's not that expensive either). In the most ambitious plans would be to rent a dedicated server on which drivers from around the world could drive with a designated car in fixed circumstances, bit like the original Top Gear segment star in a reasonably priced car.

Now I'd like to hear the community's opinion. Is this worth the trouble? Would you visit? Would you like to know how different rF2 cars compare on a fast lap around a familiar test track? I also realize that the current Dunsfold track is a beta version, and maybe it'd be wiser to wait until it and rFactor 2's released as a full version?

2. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I definitely would love this. Something I have always wished to do personally, but I suck as driver so it is no use.

How are the cars selected? Every possible car released, or just the top quality stuff? I just wonder as there will be pretty bad mods and conversion for sure which are no use for anybody ever to drive, but where you draw the line... it is difficult.

I will be sad if this idea doesn't work out, it is just lovely.

Would we get a some sort of video footage of every driven car also? :)

3. Loetkoe

Loetkoe Registered

Yes, I thought we'd get a full onboard with telemetry so you can see how the reasonably priced driver drives the car.

About the mods, I think it'll come quite naturally to choose the cars, and if the community is active with the idea, I expect to get suggestions for cars to test even if I didn't need suggestions ;) First I'd do all the ISI cars and then move on to the community-built cars.

4. Jello

Jello Registered

Not a bad idea Loetkoe :). I'd have a crack at it even though I'm just an average sim driver. Maybe run a poll with a list of 4 or 5 cars to see what car you'll run over whatever period you are thinking.

Of course you know it would be fun to actually run the Suzuki Liana, the Laccetti & the C`D ;) if some clever modder made them :)

5. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

I like the idea, but 'fixed conditions' would only last untill next build most lightly. 146 really changed the grip and handling of the cars as an example. But as in To Gear, you might wanna add (B146) as they do with WET, DAMP, SNOW :p

6. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Cool idea, I would like to see this as I love the show,
    Has anyone tried doing a "gentleman sausage" ?? Realroad/Rubber etc I can confirm it is possible LOL

7. Yarach

Yarach Registered

This could be a very nice idea. I am willing to participate as the "video editor". There could be a YouTube page dedicated to this one. You got my help if you want to.

8. Loetkoe

Loetkoe Registered

Great idea.

That would be amazing! :) Yeah I was thinking the same about the YouTube channel.

9. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I'd like to see a leaderboard with comparative lap times by a certain professional sim tame racing driver. The Stigs sim racing cousin? That along with the reasonably priced driver would round off the site nicely. I know id visit the site when a new car was released if there was a leaderboard and specs of the cars. Weight, BHP, torque, etc

10. Jello

Jello Registered

That would be Digital Stig? ;)

11. Yarach

Yarach Registered

I have worked out the concept I had in mind for the YouTube page furthermore. I am able to use Top Gear's original commentary in the videos when the same cars are raced they have and I can find a video of it on YouTube. Basically this would make a digital version of Top Gear. We could even have "famous" drivers here on the forums to race the reasonably priced car.. For example let Tim Wheatly or Petros Mak.

Let me know what you think of this part of the concept.

12. Loetkoe

Loetkoe Registered

I don't want this to be too much Top Gear. I don't want this called Top Gear, nor do I want to use anything from the show in this. Mainly because of copyright issues. BBC has the rights to the name Top Gear and the audio files you want to use, and I don't want to have any problems. Also I want this to be a thing of it's own, albeit inspired by said show. I would very much like to find a good voice to comment on the laps though. My voice is pretty uninteresting :D

Very good.

13. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Very nice OP idea!! I like it. The main problem I see atm is we don't have any point to point lapping, so there is a small room for cheating..:)

The perfect things could be to get a training time and 5/6 laps before to go, then the point to point lap...or something like that.

I have to spend some time to find a trick to implement a similar system...but I hope ISI will implement a proper PtP race in future releases.

The only request I have is to avoid every element covered by copyright, like the original logo, the original music etc etc... I don't want to get in troubles because of this. ;) Stay away from any original BBC material...please.

BTW, if you need any special feature for your project let me know...:rolleyes:

14. MrPix

MrPix Registered

how about approaching the BBC to sponsor it?.... may help with the onerous tasks of avoidance of copyright to some extent....

15. Yarach

Yarach Registered

That would be AWESOME

16. Loetkoe

Loetkoe Registered

Yes, fantastic :) Cheating will be impossible if I personally watch through the reasonably priced car laps and see that there is no cutting etc. What I need for the project.. hmm all I really need is some camera files, even just one camera so I can move around on the track with the in-game commands and record stuff!

Nice thought, but it's never going to happen. I'm not going to use any BBC owned material. I don't want to use the name Top Gear for two reasons. 1) Copyright issues and 2) I don't want to be Top Gear. I want to be my own thing, although of course inspired by the said legendary television show.

17. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Very cool idea, Loetkoe!

18. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Some names idea
    - Top Drivers
    - Hot Laps
    - Driven
    - Can You Beat The Time?
    - Under 3 Minutes
    - Faster than Captain Slow ;D

19. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

great idea. how would you handle different car versions? a car might get an update which makes it slower...

20. Loetkoe

Loetkoe Registered

The version tested would be written into the name of the car