rF2, nVidia Surround 5760x1080 Triple screen, GTX690 - 30fps (if I'm lucky)

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by fred.e, Feb 5, 2013.

1. fred.e

fred.e Registered

Running current rF2 build and my spec below:
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3.4GHz, Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5-B3, Memory: 16GB DDR3, OS: Windows 7 64 Bit, Video: NVIDIA Gigabyte GTX690 4GB

Now I'm no dummy but also no expert - the exact resolution I run is a bezel corrected one so it's a little different to 5760x1080 but can't remember it exactly - however testing showed both resolutions are having the same issue. I've set the ingame graphics to medium levels and some things off and nothing changed.

The FPS goes down to 7 fps coming out of Pits at Portugal, increases slightly to 20ish as I leave and then decreases again on the 3rd corner. I've exited and adjusted HDR, FXAA and Sync that many times last night I lost patience after hours of opening and closing. I ran a different track (the one that came with the Skip upgrade I think) and it didnt drop but sat at 30fps.

I did drop my resolution to 4320 and saw my fps go up over 100fps and all of a sudden my driving improved heaps, started to enjoy it - but was playing with below decent quality video settings.

I'm really not in a position to get a second GTX690 ($$$!) and I've tried every setting under the sun.

If there's anything I can provide or anyone can recommend settings I really want to start enjoying rF2 becasue I keep going back to rF with everything turned up high and getting over 160fps...

Thanks, fred.e

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya

You should be getting decent results with your system even with rf2 in its present state

A few pointers:

It's a total sin not to have your CPU over Clocked (if it's the unlocked version) these i7's & overclocking go hand in hand & an overclock helps a hell of a lot ( I'm running my i7 2600k @ 5ghz cool & stable although I ave a good water cooling system)

Keep your resolution lower 4000 to 5000 x 800 ish , this helps a lot

Lower the fov as much as possible , if your close to your screens it will start to look much better to you

Don't use much AA & AF

Don't render 3 screen sep

Textures set to low , shadows med , effects to med/high , HDR on , reflections etc on, car detail / opponent med (this is reflection sharpness only I think ), track detail to low (small price to pay for big saving ! ) FXAA off

Set in nvida control panel, compatibility mode, performance (not high quality or quality) , max performance ( power saving), AA mode to off (not even multisample )

Hope this helps

A 2nd 690 will not help at all -a 690 has already x2 gpu's, as a test try turning one of the gpu's off & run on just one if you know how etc

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2013
  3. Spyder

Spyder Registered

Fred, I guarantee its Reflections causing a problem, I have to turn them off with my SLI 680s to get rid of stutters. Portugal is by far the biggest offender of this.

4. cbs

cbs Registered

Overclocking isn't going to do a thing. This isn't a cpu issue at all.

I totally disagree with those settings. Any modern video card can handle 16x AF with little to no impact on performance. I run 5760x1080 with 2 660tis in sli and my settings are completely maxed out with fxaa or 4x msaa and it gives me 50-100 fps.

The problem lies in the game itself and the sli profile. Changing the SLI compatibility bits to 0x82482005 helps.. it gives me an increase of about 20 fps but it doesn't solve the problem of severe 2-3 second stuttering at certain parts of Portugal and a couple of other third party tracks. The gpu usage goes down to 20-30% for a second or two and then back up to normal.

5. fred.e

fred.e Registered

Thanks, I will try a variety of the recommendations in seperate steps tonight when I get home. At least now I have some experienced direction. I went with the GTX690 so I wouldn't have to worry about these type of adjustments, but oh well it's all part of the fun....

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

CBS

Re.cpu -I'm only basing this on my own experience, I get better performance all round (including fps) whilst my CPU is running at a higher clock setting, maybe a different result on your system thus you have a diferent experience

Fred

let us have feedback / any improvements on above Recomendations , good luck

7. cbs

cbs Registered

No doubt it will speed things up overall.. unfortunately it probably wont help with this issue.. :(

8. patrod

patrod Registered

I've got the same issue with 2xGTX670 4go SLI.

@cbs : did you make a specific Nvidia profile for rFactor2?

I'm actually using "AFR-FriandlyD3D.exe", but i'm interrested by your setting.

Can you give it to me, please?

9. cbs

cbs Registered

10. patrod

patrod Registered

Thx cbs, i will try this, tonight.:)

11. HelderPimenta

HelderPimenta Registered

You can tweek what ever you want, and gain some fps... but HDR+Multiview doesn't work, if you use this combination you will always have poor performance, enviroment reflections its alos a killer, but it can work.

12. john gianni

john gianni Registered

Guys something is very wrong with Portugal... I got the same problems fred.e has... 60 fps normally and drops to 6 fps at 1st straight, 3rd corner, 6th corner and last chicane... There's some bug in that circuit for sure, with SLI.

13. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

Yes, I think it must be SLI. I do not experience it with a single card. In fact, my performance at Portugal is good with med/high settings at 5040x1050. HDR and high AA will bring my system to it's knees though. With them off (AA on 2) I get 45-60fps everywhere around the track. Into high 60's low 70's in places and down to 38-40 in a couple spots.
    This is with a GTX285 and TH2Go.

Have you tried with a single card?
    If not, and it ain't too much trouble, please try it and see if your performance increases.

EDIT:
    I forgot to add, this is with MultiView enabled.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2013
  14. john gianni

john gianni Registered

Exactly, no issue at all with single card... It's SLI related...
    Win 7, 2 gtx580 latest drivers.
    4800x1024 Reflections Off, All Full but shadows high, multiview off, hdr on, nvidia AA 4x, vsync on.

15. coops

coops Banned

Fred.e this use to happen in previous builds not sure if it still does have not raced that track for ages. ISI knew about this not sure if it was fixed.

16. john gianni

john gianni Registered

Noticed also in IMOLA 2006 ! PLease have a look into it!

17. john gianni

john gianni Registered

A new circuit has the same problem... Searspoint... Here's what happen with SLI... Second card cpu usage drops... Please ISI say something!

[​IMG]

Till now v156 nvidia 580 SLI:

Imola 2006 1.01
    ISI Portugal 1.2
    Searspoint 1.35

18. nipzon

nipzon Registered

Looking at your afterburner screen shot, does it make a difference what the power limit setting is at?

I run everything high, vsync off, multiview off, 5790x1080 res, three screens @ about 70-90 fps. GTX680 slightly overclocked with power limit to 20%

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2013
  20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I had serious problems using 2 or 3 cards on triple screens regardless of game, but on single screen mode the 2/3 cards worked great, even in rf2. It might not be an rf problem, but it might.

Weird how the frames just drastically shoot up when you lower the res just a little, ive seen this same weird phenomenon online with other games as well. Maybe you are going over the 690's memory? Is the 690 a 2 or 3 gb card?

Also, this may help you (the SLI part, crossfire is AMD, SLI is nvidia)...