So what does this "download custom skins" do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TIG_green, Feb 5, 2013.

1. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Thank you, I will test this this WE with the Corvette !!

2. goonzo

goonzo Registered

Thanks for the quick reply, Luc.
    So all you have to do really is to enable the option in multiplayer.ini on both server and clients then?
    I tried this and had my skin locally, selected it in the spinner and joined the server.
    I see my own skin ingame but in the monitor I see a red square by my name(no other clients logged in)
    If I understood you correctly, that red square mean the skin wasn't uploaded, right?
    I assume I did everything correct so what could be the reason for the red square to appear?

/M

3. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Give it some time :) . As far as I know, red means the skin transfer is active, i.e. you are either uploading your own skin to the server, or downloading another client's skin from the server.

4. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Thank you for adding the "create directory" button.

5. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

ISI should talk to this guy: www.tradingpaints.com

He has made sharing and seeing custom paints in iRacing a breeze. Run his small footprint program and see all custom skins in each server you join. They are then removed from your HD after leaving the session so your HD doesn't fill up with paints.

6. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Thx for the reply Luc !!.. Im seeing black box's as well after it has been red for a while it simply turns black with no skin loaded so im assuming black means fail . .. ?

I see no box on mine on a server that I uploaded to a day before and ppl see my skin so that part seems to be right ..;-)

And green on the players that I do see the skins on ..

Keep at it ! your close ! lol

thx a million ......

7. ProTraX

ProTraX Registered

Seems like i have a problem with this feature :(
    I use my custom skin on a server where the feature is enabled. Its also enabled on my end.
    Well, problem is: I see custom skins from other persons correctly, but they can't see mine or they see a wrong skin.
    They see either a standard skin or a custom skin that was automatically downloaded....

Does anyone have an idea?

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I believe iRacing now owns that Web site, so I doubt there would be much talking. :)

9. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

That would be news to me. Steve Luvender owns it and runs it. He is not an iRacing employee but works with iRacing to make the program talk with the iRacing client.

Something like this sure would be nice for rFactor 2.

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Ah yes, you're correct, looks like I mis-read the post I saw about the extra work iR put in to integrate it.

I think it's a lot of work for someone to take on. Quite shocked Steve is still doing it really, his bills won't be small.

11. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

He's got advertising - probably doesn't cover much and you are right, I'm surprised someone is generous enough to offer this.

I just wish there was some way to implement something like this with rF2.

12. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

Where is this mythical red/green/yellow box you guys are talking about? In the game server next to player's names? I'm not seeing it and we have it enabled on the server and I have it enabled on my client pc.

13. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Box/flag what ever it is shows next to drivers name in the list .. I see green for all the drivers i see skins for ,no box at all for yourself once the skin loads , red box while its loading ,sometimes with red line under there name also it will blink somtimes .. The grey box ,i think means skin is not active or loading at that time ,like player is out on track maybe before his skin is fully loaded ,idk .. When I see black box the player's skin dosent show at all, its the defalt skin ..

If you have the transfer option selected on the server and the client pc and your still not seeing any flags/box's somthings up maybe you have the line for file transfers 'GET MOD' off on your client rig ? I think this needs to be on for client's as wel as the server but i reely dont know ..just trying to think why you dont see the box's ...

14. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

Thanks - I see the box now, but...

How am I supposed to define MY car. I go to the player profile, for example the Vette and the Vehicle File Line looks like this after selecting the #3 vette (where my alt skin is located):

C:\rFactor2\Installled\Vehicles\ISI_Corvette_c6r_GT2\1.02\C6r_03.VEH

I manually modify that line, adding "\lw_alt.dds" to the end of it.

But as soon as I open the came, the .PLR file changes that line back to the original file, not what I put in there with my lw_alt.dds skin?

15. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

All information are here : http://isiforums.net/f/showwiki.php?title=rFactor2+-+Where+to+put+custom+car+skins

16. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

That doesn't answer the question I asked Mad. Thanks anyway. Anyone else?

17. JGraf

JGraf Registered

why are you editing the vehicles path? your skin installs to the settings path.
    C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\rFactor2\UserData\player\Settings\ISI_Corvette_C6R_GT2\C6R_06\lw_alt.dds

18. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

Why because the instructions in the 146 release notes say something about that path. Do I not edit anything manually?

19. JGraf

JGraf Registered

nope, same ol' routine as always.
    there's a new button in the tuning area (create dir) when clicked automatically creates the folders path in settings for you, drop the skin in, no more having to manually build the folders.

20. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

So If I do nothing other than make sure my alt skin is in the directory, file transfer should work and people should see me? Of course if the server has it enabled and I do.