So what does this "download custom skins" do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TIG_green, Feb 5, 2013.

1. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Does it let me to choose from custom made skins when joining a server or do I just see custom made skins on other players?

Also, no idea how to make my own skins...how to get started?

2. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

3. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

There is only how to name them and where to put them etc. but not anything about the actual making process (painting and with what program). Doesn't ISI give us tools for this? Do I have to have photoshop or something else similar? I only have paint and some simple microsoft program :p

4. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

Photoshop is the primary tool, use search, there were some discussions on how to do it.

5. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Ok, will look. Thanks again Abriel for an answer. You are always helpful :)

6. Axly

Axly Registered

Photoshop or equivalent, no matter what program you use you will need a DDS-plugin or a program that can handle DDS-files. For Photoshop it can be found by googling "nvidia dds plugin" (it doesn't matter which graphics card you use). As Abriel said, there are threads here about which settings you should use for DDS-export and how to handle the files, also in the release notes for 146 there are instructions on folder naming for the skins.
    Good luck!

(Also, make use of layers.. Hidden layers will not be exported so experiment away)

7. noroardanto

noroardanto Registered

8. tjc

tjc Registered

I`ve just started to skin myself and will hopefully have my first skin ready in a day or two. :)

Google for skinning tuts TIG... you`ll find some very informative videos on youtube and also find some good PDF files to download.

There`s a good tut here

It`s for Race07 but will work with rf2 no problems...

As I say, I`ve only just started myself but if I can help out in any way, I will.

Luck. :)

9. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

TIG, if you need help, get with me and I can arrange for us to get on a TS server to talk you through things. If you don't have any other graphics program, I would suggest GIMP. It is free and very powerful and there are dds plugin's available for it as well. I have used both GIMP and Photoshop for my skinning work.

10. noroardanto

noroardanto Registered

Got it! I can see the alt skins now

11. tjc

tjc Registered

Never knew you were a skinner Gearjammer...

I may have some questions for you... ;)

:)

12. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Thanks guys! Will look into your suggestions and ask further help if needed :)

13. Fergy

Fergy Registered

Does the feature work? If I enter a room where a driver has a skin I now automatically download it, is that correct? Like LFS..

14. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

That's what it's supposed to do, yes, if you have enabled the feature both on the server and the client, either by setting the value in the multiplayer.ini or enabling it in the UI settings page.

15. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Link deleted.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2013
  16. Fergy

Fergy Registered

Thanks Luc

17. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Its working, for a few of us , were getting the skins however not the window files atm on ours , could be somthing in the fotrmatting to include the windows ? or is it just us ?

example of the files i have ,

in the player/settings/renalt Clio folder > Clio_17Alt2.dds , Clio_17Alt2window.dds and Clio_17Altextra0.dds

I see the windows off line in game and in the spinner , also have them when choosing the skin in the online spinner but once in the game it only shows defalt windows ..

I noticed some players skins wont load or somthing as the box/flag blinks from grey to red and then eventualy ends up black , while others go from grey to green and you can then see the skin .. one team mate has the same style /name (less then 10 char) skins , 2 of us can both see each others skins and i see a green box on the players i can see and no box for myself , 2nd player sees a green for me and himself ,the 3rd players see grey for both of us while his box goes grey to red untill it finaly gives up and stays black and no skin lol .. any ideas ??
    do the clients have to open some ports now if the skins dont send or somthing >>??

Edit* the player whos skins wont load also freezes trying to exit everytime and has to ctr,alt,del to get out , i tried his skin and had same result , with the freeze , i did it like 5 times while renameing his skins and tring anything i could, I had to ctr,alt,del everytime to leave game , works in single player and you can see it your self while in mp but the box/flag stays red and skin never loads to clients .. his are named exactly like the ones above only #15 not #17 ...

thanks ..

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2013
  18. goonzo

goonzo Registered

I think there still are some unclear instructions.
    I've enabled "download skins" in the multplayer.ini on both the server AND clients.

Let's have the following scenario:
    We have two drivers, both with their own custom skin they have produced and they want to race each other(seeing each other's skins)

* Do I have to put both custom skins on the server?
    * What skins must be placed on the clients? Is it enough to have only your own skin locally at startup?

19. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

The clients will automatically upload their skins to the server after they've joined. No ports need to be opened on the client side. Not sure about server-side settings though. I'd say if HTTP transfers work (Get Mod), then skin transfers should also work :) ?

If you join a server that already has your custom skin from a previous event, no box will appear. It doesn't turn green because no upload was required. So either a green box or no box at all in front of your name is what you're aiming for as a client.

I think windows and extra texture sending is currently not supported. Imagine a server with 30 people joining with their own custom skin. That's quite a bit of up/download traffic. A window texture and some other wildcard textures would almost double that. Let's see if the current system is robust enough before possibly expanding it :) .

20. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Thanks for that response Luc.