Omg my pedals are not moving anymore. really not. Oops!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Whykonen, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Whykonen

Whykonen Registered

I have a laminate floor. So I thought I should stop the moving around of the G25 pedals, somehow really fastening them to the ground.
    So I taped the four sides of the pedalset with regular double sided tape, and did some driving.
    It's great!

Now I had the idea to reposition the pedalset a bit to a place under my desk where I don't mind it being for a longer time. So I wanted to use some new tape. Problem: Can't get it off anymore! Can lift the entire floor, it's really properly fitted to the floor now haha.

Anyone knows whether normal, cheap double sided tape loses its strength after a while?

2. D!2T

D!2T Registered

Just LOL'd violently.......... Eucalyptus Oil is good to remove tape, it may help?

3. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

4. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

I'd get a prybar, a piece of something to put under the bar to protect the floor and a hairdryer.

Carefully warm a corner (one corner at a time) and apply gentle prying pressure to see if you can slowly lift the pedals free. Once you get the pedals off, you should be able to remove the tape and adhesive with Goo Gone (a mild solvent - test on a scrap or hidden piece of flooring first to see if the finish will be damaged). I like the oil idea above though... soften the adhesive with baby oil and see if you can rub it off.

Your chances of damaging the floor are probably about 80% unless you call in a flooring expert.

Double-sided tape on a floor... you're going to be smacking your forehead about that for years and years.

5. coops

coops Banned

( try in a small section first ) use nail polish remover the acetone should dissolve the glue and hopefully not hurt the laminate floor.

6. Whykonen

Whykonen Registered

Ill start with trying the nail polish remover tomorrow. It's not an area of the floor that matters to much, under the desk. I think i'll get a anti skid carpet anyway (or how do you call that, the thing that can also be used to protect against scratches from chair wheels. Then eventually expand it with the smart wooden rectangle solution.

But ehm hey, it works, tape on the floor! I underestimated it, thought it would not hold.

7. Whykonen

Whykonen Registered

OK i first looked in my toolbox, cheeze im a lucky guy. Use a chisel, because the tape is still thick enough to push it to pieces, without touching / applying force to the floor. So that's for the next googler. So any other (el cheapo) solutions then the simple wooden square?

Now i just got to get the tape left overs of the floor for which i can indeed test some stuff, starting with the lightest, normal cleaning stuff for the floor.

8. Whykonen

Whykonen Registered

of course hot water and dish soap :) magic! thx for all the tips, now i will choose a better solution for moving pedals

9. Whykonen

Whykonen Registered

@KeiKei So I could make a similar frame, with a square where the g25 pedals fit exactly. Might consider just using the wheel desk chair for extra comfort, just put two front wheels in the box.
    That ought to do the job in a cleaner way then tape? And it's relatively easy to store behind the desk, lack of room here.

10. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

blow dryer hi heat would work...maybe :D

11. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

12. Golanv

Golanv Registered

I have that stuff that Whiskey man there advertise for the wheel/pedals/etc... I dont need it anymore with my current setup but its great stuff. Also if you have a little rug to use, put that stuff under the rug and the pedals on the rug, since they have those spikes it stays still well on a rug.
    If you wanna build a pedal stand, theres alot of ways you can do that, imagination and what do you have at your disposal are your limits. From a simple but effective like keikei, to more complicated, as long as they stay still and you can reach them comfortably, its all good.

13. Whykonen

Whykonen Registered

one of the rubber things worked a charm :) 4 euros at DIY store

14. Whykonen

Whykonen Registered

15. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Yeah should work...

...but that perhaps does it with less effort. :) What is that stuff?

16. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

They are often sold as something like 'Anti Fatigue' mat or similar. Used when standing on concrete for long periods of time in front of machinery or retail etc.

It is made out of rubber.

17. Whykonen

Whykonen Registered

yeah it's rubber, on the bottom it has little dots that make it stick to the wooden floor. (And it's against the wall)
    I was looking for four parts of wood, but the guy told me he would not saw it in four pieces for me and I didn't bother to take the 3 meter. A bit crappy service I think. Quite happy when I spotted this :)

Perhaps when I've got some more free time I'll create a reverse mounted pedals setup, but this does the job with no effot.