Licence terms for modded content

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cracheur, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

Hello,

a pretty basic question: are mods created by external groups under any kind of licence agreement from ISI? (do they have to be free, any other restrictions? etc...)

Could I, as an example, create a mod and sell it? Would I have to pay ISI something(shared revenue model)

If any "rules" like this exist, where can I find them?

Thanks

2. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

The EULA should outline that. However, Alles and his team are making mods to sell, with WIPs posted on this forum, so ISI seems to deem it acceptable. Note, though, that if you are selling mods they must either be 100% fictional or you must obtain the proper license from the rights holder(s), which is often very, very expensive.

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

No.

Everything you do in modding is your responsibility.

4. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

A very nice and modding/customer friendly approach! I'd be willing to pay for high quality mods and this model might encourage some talented modders... let's hope;)

5. lbird

lbird Registered

I would put it this way: It is the best and smartest approach to keep ISI out of copyright and infringement problems. It would be a very high risk to get royalties from modders and rely on them to do proper licensing of their content. Once money is involved in modding content it gets very very complicated. Just ask Tim about his time spent running around and getting proper licensing as a company.....

6. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Money doesn't even have to be involved, but the issues tend to show up faster if there is money involved.

7. Max

Max Registered

edit

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2013
  8. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Thats not just your two cents, its a full hate attack, maybe just cool down a bit?
    Sounds like you own BMW and complain about missing profit (which is peanuts for them anyway).

9. Max

Max Registered

edit

10. Max

Max Registered

I also believe Tim wrote:

"No.

Everything you do in modding is your responsibility."

What do you think that means Nikos? Anyway, enough, I said my piece. And BMW will say theirs lol

Bukovci 87a
    2281 Markovci, Slovenia
    UnitedRacingDesign@gmail.com

Tel: 00386 41 283 533

Any other info I can get will help out in contacting BMW with their licensing department. At the very least I am curious. Perhaps they won't do anything, and they don't care about it. For me it's a curiousity kinda thing more than anything else. Cause if they don't care, I will release fully fledged BMW's for this sim lol

11. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

Any moderator please edit it here bit. Thx

12. Max

Max Registered

lol I was waiting for you.. I am a grown up, kid. I am 43, any other nonsense? you have? I am no child, and you calling me one, does not make it so Alles. It's not about making better cars. It's about your attitude about it, and the smug way you come off and the way, when you don't like something, you call people a kid. Call BMW a kid when they contact you. Let's see how long your "mod" sticks around while you're charging money for it.. You post what you want to about this, I feel I can do the same. Behave like a kid/ That's all you got? Is that what you will say when BMW get involved in your life? lol And you sent me PM. To answer your question, you did nothing to me. I just don't like the money grab and am curious about it and its ramifications. That's all. That's not being a kid. I am not calling you any names, I can do without the kid comments myself. Anything else? I'd prefer to drop it now, and let what happens, happen...

13. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

LOL. THE worst sim racing "news" site on the internet.

14. Max

Max Registered

Wait I just read at the end of your post Alles

"You cant force anybody to do mods for you for free and really get over it."

Is that what you think I am doing? I am sorry you see it that way man, I don't mean it that way at all. I see why you're all hot and bothered by it though. I am not attacking your work man, at all. It's fine, really. It's the approach of putting money on it. I as you have a long long time in modding, not just this game here, but in the past 10-15 years, lots of games. I made tracks, cars, etc for me and my buddies over the years. It's not about attacking your work, I have no issues with it. It is just the money approach, and if you had proper licensing, I again would not complain at all. I hope I made you understand a little better. I am not asking for you or anyone to make me a free mod... I think that is our basic misunderstanding Ales. Well that and the kid comments rub me the wrong way :)

15. UnitedRacingDesign

edit

16. UnitedRacingDesign

Ive done to alot in the past and usually time beat me to do more. If this is the way i can do it full time and do more, ill go that way.
    look around, there are like none mods anymore.
    Some people say yeah they will come, when?? Will they ever? Look how many are announcet and never finished, happened to me to you know. Its the only way i see and i really dont ask for to much if i can keep it to quality and regulary deliver new cars.

17. Max

Max Registered

I know man, I know.. I am glad we hashed it out here. I am not attacking your work, I am sorry if it came off that way. I am a rather BLunt person at times, too much so for some. No hard feelings man, just making a case about paying for a mod. That is really at the bottom of this.

18. UnitedRacingDesign

Okey

19. Max

Max Registered

I agree with all you wrote man.. I hear what you're saying. I am backing off of you :) You are a very good modder. And for the record, I also don't condem what you are doing. Okey, move on people, all is good here

20. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned