Optimization coming?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ccjcc81, Jan 26, 2013.

1. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Updates isn't rule by whining anymore. This job was taken by Assetto Corsa announcements.

2. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

"At least here we have a Sim that will be with us for some years and okay I choose to believe it is going to be the first half of this year that it gets the main flaws sorted, things like tire models may change (look at iracing, still updating basic stuff like tires and sound...another open Beta?)"

Heh I beat you to it LOL

3. Diablo

Diablo Registered

Damn, I just saw that.

4. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

It's been 18 months since the release of iracing 2.fail and they still don't have tire wear, I hope ISI develops faster than them.

5. Diablo

Diablo Registered

No tyre wear?! Last time I checked, which was yesterday, the Tyres tab in the garage told me how much tread was still on them. That also influences the ability of them holding the temps, due to the reduced heat capacity.

6. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

How many laps can you do before you blow out a tire? Is the tire wear realistic?

The tire wear isn't complete there. I know that for a fact. The tire model over there is complicated just like the rF2 tire model and development on such a project takes alot of time. Please put your iracing bible down as I don't want to get an argument with you about this. I know ir fanboys are just like religious fanatics and will swear up and down without any facts. ;)

7. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

LOL
    http://i.imgur.com/oXCOzqN.jpg
    He came with the "fact" about iracing and now that.
    Master trolling post.

8. Diablo

Diablo Registered

LOL, read again, what you have posted earlier, and my reply to it. You claimed
    and I replied that there actually is tire wear. I didn´t say that it´s perfect or complete. We are talking about modelling tires, which is a very complex task, so it will most likely never be finished. Just like everything else simulation, it will only ever be as close as you can get with the equipment at hand, you do want it running in real time, don´t you?

But yes, just play the fanboy card.

Tyre design and simulation, intersting read, and it is not iRacing this time. ;) But the LFS developer has been working on that for how long now? Ah right, more than 4 years and still no release. I´d rather have a constantly evolving tire model or product than vaporware.

9. 10speed

10speed Registered

You really should have a read about software development states ...

The fanboys seem to like this argument very much. So if I buy a new pair of shoes at ebay for let's say 40 € and it turns out I get 2 left shoes and the sole falls of after one week everything is fine because the shoes were cheap. :confused:

Yes, brilliant argumentation! :rolleyes:

Tire wear is nearly not existent and temperatures are only depending on sliding friction. To be honest that is not a usable basis and of course the "constantly evolving" thingy is utter bull**** because there have not been any improvements in this area since the first beta. That also applies to most other features of rfactor2. Just have a look into the forums yourself, see current and archived bug reports and how many bugs have been fixed so far.

10. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I really do hope ISI has some hidden suprise to stop all this speculation and get us do things that helps the community and rf2 as a product...

That said, I expect something HUGE to be released at the end of the week... if not, then I just have to swallow my disappointment and move on. In any case, great things are ahead of us.

11. Domi

Domi Registered

You can't really talk about fanboys, mr. negative reputation :)

Some cars in iRacing have a very noticeable effect of tire wear, like the F1 for example.

12. Domi

Domi Registered

They can't be compared, rFactor2 doesn't bring any structured service with scheduled competitive and clean racing (most of the time) every hour of the day.

13. Diablo

Diablo Registered

I did:
    which implies there are usually features added during that stage. As opposed to beta, which is basically feature complete. So tell me, if we are post-beta now, as some people claim on this very forum, and the "evolving product" is just an empty marketing phrase, how come we have Wish Lists?! The very existence of that sub-forum, either implies we are still somewhere pre-beta - because you usually don´t add features in beta, right - or we have something different entirely, which is neither beta nor alpha nor anything, it just does not fit the "traditional" definition of development states, and ISI chose to name it "evolving product".

ROTFL, you nailed that example mate. That would entitle a troll to a refund, wouldn´t it? But anyway, how come I am the rFactor2 fanboy now. Some posts ago I was an ir fanboy, or was that supposed to mean infrared CdnRacer? Which I am actually a fan of ... sort of. Or maybe someone is just not reading, what is really posted to this thread? By me that is, the one with the fanboy label on his forehead.

Hmm, so CdnRacer claiming iRacing wouldn´t have any tire wear, was an actual rFactor2 fanboy posting then?
    LOL again, thanks 10speed, you made my day. Now go on and call me what you will, I am out of this one. Maybe I´ll keep reading, just for laughs.

14. 10speed

10speed Registered

That's it, you got it! rFactor2 is not feature-complete (meaning the features included in current build are incomplete) or bug-free. When questioned "why is the beta tag gone" someone recently answered this: "because we are in alpha again"
    What an ironic statement at first glance, but when you really think about it it's perfectly true and (sadly) no irony at all.

So you tell me ISI is as innovative they even manage to develop software which cannot be classified with common development states like any other software? That's just marketing-blabla. ISI wanted to switch to "gold" so that customers who bought the regular version have to renew their subscription earlier. Or why would they ever remove all "beta" notices on the forums without even releasing a new build?
    Any modern software is updated/upgraded from time to time either to fix bugs and/or to include new features. What rFactor2 currently gives us is far from feature-complete. Just to stress the tire example: What happened in recent builds as soon as tires were completely worn? The game crashed. What did ISI to fix this in the current build? The game doesn't crash anymore because there is no tire failure anymore. Instead you can drive forever with one set of tires as long as you refuel. Now that is the kind of bugfixing we appreciate!

Just to give you some other examples what is still wrong:
    - flickering shadows
    - wrong textures (especially windows)
    - levitating, deadly obstacles
    - no damage model
    etc.: again, read the (archived) bug report section

It's the way you argue ... (see above)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2013
  15. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

+1
    Only speculating, since this is the only option left, i think Isi's pace is determined by Asseto Corsa because it appears that will be a hard competition between then. Hope Isi overcome ac in features because i really don't want to have 2 simulators installed. Eventually i will abandon one of then and despite ac looks appears better and they have licensed probably my favorite f1 car, ii still cheer for rf2.

16. osella

osella Registered

Agree with pretty much every word.

To everybody saying that this thread is offtopic, well what the hell do you expect? There is just NOTHING useful to discuss regarding rf2, everything what can be said is said within the first week after each update and then comes 5-6 weeks of offtopic because nothing happens at all.

I'd love to share your optimism KoR, but I personally do not believe main issues will be sorted within first half of 2013, with this speed I'm wondering if gold (aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah wait a second rf2 isn't beta anymore, so now we are at ISI (TM) own stage, called gamma-delta-constant-evolution-stage) will be released in 2014 or 2015 at all.

17. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

I personally have no different when the product will be released in full. Now I'm more concerned with the construction of the winter ice track. I spent 2 days at the racetrack watching the work of icy roads. And I'm still at an impasse, can, at present, implement, standard tools, the work of the ice covering the road.
    [​IMG]

18. osella

osella Registered

^Looks like tons of fun, I hate winter (today it's +9°C which is beautiful, last weekend was -20° tho) but this would convince me to spend a few hours outside.

19. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

it was -24 degrees, the first day of 6 hours in the cold, the second day of 8 hours, and tons of footage for building virtual prototype ..

20. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

I suppose my optimism comes from the fact that I have other "in development" sims, none of them for me have the feel of rF2, this one seems to have that base thing right, everything else is icing, and icing goes on last. It's a personal thing though and I don't expect everyone to agree. :)