Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Depco

Depco Registered

2. maniac618

maniac618 Registered

So, I am due to be told I am getting my DK2 next week. I thought I'd revisit this thread.....

ISI could really be missing a trick if they don't have native support any time soon and I'll explain why....

The graphics 'engine' for rFactor 2 cannot really compete with some other racing titles that are pretending to be Sims and that are out at the moment. However, comments slagging off rFactor 2 for lack of immersion due to out of date graphics could easily be quashed and dampened by introducing the immersion that automatically comes in bucket loads from Oculus Rift native support through its introduction of 3D and VR out of the box.

Bring native support like Assetto Corsa, and many comments about graphics will subside, at least for Oculus owners. With Rift strapped to your head you'd be happier playing on lowest gfx settings (not resolution) than someone running max gfx settings without one!

Do I care if I can see a few non AA jaggies or a slightly blocky texture when I feel like I am actually in a 1960s F1 car bombing it around Monaco because I am in VR?

No.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2014
  3. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I guess ISI should consider positioning themselves about if they will provide official support. The question was asked long time ago but I didn't see any answer to it.

My concern is that since 3rd party plugins have already been developed they might consider it unnecessary.

4. capetuso

capetuso Registered

I don't own an oculus rift yet but will get it day one when consumer version is out. If rfactor2 is not supporting it officially or via other plugins in a good way it will make it difficult for me to play it as much as iracing or Assetto Corsa.

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I seem to remember Tim W. mentioning a while ago that ISI would work on implementing support into rf2 if the demand is there.

The demand is obviously here and I'm sure that demand will continue to grow so its a no brainer for ISI to implement

I'm sure its on their list, the DK2's are not with us quite yet, maybe full rf2 compatibility will be included in time for the consumer version.

I agree good compatibility (with VR options in the UI) would be good for rf2

6. Minibull

Minibull Member

The issue I see there is at what point are you judging the demand. When we all can buy one off the shelf? I feel that would be way too late, and you would be playing catch up.

7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I guess that 3rd party developers would appreciate to confirm this in order to avoid duplicity and subsequent time wasting.

8. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Until a consumer version has proven that Oculus will solve the low res solution issue I'd wait if I were ISI as well. Here is what seems to me a decent review. Looks great for all sorts of gaming, sim racing, not so much until things get fixed. If I can't see turns up ahead or read gauges, it's completely useless to race with.

If you don't want to watch it, this guy says it's cool in the beginning but after five minutes the coolness has worn off after crashing because he can't see the turns up ahead and wants to race with his screens.

9. furiousgibbon

furiousgibbon Registered

if ISI provided proper Rift support before giving us decent triple screen configuration, I'd be uninstalling.

I had a Rift, sold it recently. Absolutely hopeless for sim racing. The resolution was so bad you literally could not see more than 15m infront of the car. The field of view was not good either; I liken it to looking through a pair of binoculars, there is basically no peripheral vision. Motion blur is excessive in the original dev kit, and I was one of the few who got severe motion sickness from it. Glad I sold it. Eyefinity with TrackIR is far more immersive.

DK2 might be an improvement, but it has a long way to come.

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I sold my rift ( DK1 ) after 5 days as the resolution was way to low for me (I agree with what the guy in the vid says )
    Although everything else about it to me was amazing

Hoping the DK2's resolution will be just good enough to use as a replacement for my monitors
    DK2 being double the resolution may just be enough (1440 I think will really crack it though)
    Will also buy the Consumer version when it's finally released

All my buttons. Are on my steering wheel & I don't look at them whilst driving

Hopefully delivery is only a couple of weeks away

11. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

I had a DK1 for a couple of months and ended up using it exclusively for simracing. Mainly rFactor 1 and 2 (with tridef) and LFS. After using it a while there is no going back to screens. Resolution limits the tracks you can drive to some degree, and it's hard to be 100% accurate when picking brake markers. Other than that it is an absolutely amazing experience.

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

explains why we haven't heard anything this week re.deliveries :

Oculus VR today has made an official announcement about the shipping status of the first batch of Rift DK2s. The shipment, which the company previously said would be leaving distribution facilities on the 14th of July, has been held to provide Oculus with more time to polish and test the latest version of the Oculus SDK.

Before developers can get to work with the Oculus Rift DK2, the Oculus SDK needs to be in ship shape. The company apparently wasn’t ready to deliver the SDK in time for the first batch of DK2 shipments. They opted to hold the first shipment until the middle of next week to afford more time to ready the SDK. Andres ‘Cybereality’ Hernandez, Oculus’ Community Manager, shared the update in the Oculus Developer Forum

13. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Exactly. This is how I feel. This is the sim racing genre. Where all the games cater to things a WHOLE lot more niche than Rift. Even if it is just a developer kit at the moment. A lot of 'popular' sim hardware is probably gonna have much lower ownership rates than DK2 will.

It's obviously up to ISI to do what they feel is best for them, but if somebody has great support and others don't, it will absolutely dictate which sims get my play time and which are shelved.

14. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I received a mail a couple of days ago that shipments have started but that there are still not enough manufactured Kits for all the preorders.

15. maniac618

maniac618 Registered

Yeah, it's why I am doing my bit to bump this because rFactor2 is the best racing sim out there fullstop, but I feel they need Rift support moving forward. As I previously pointed out, it would level the playing field with regards to graphics. People will be too engrossed by using the rift and having 3D to be too bothered by texture details or which Direct X version is supported!

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

only this week and 3 days next left in this month, oculus are cutting it fine for despatches, hope we get our emails this week
    be great to have our units in time for the weekend !

( & hopefully we'll have something that works with them lol )

17. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Well...yes and no. I think you'll find games that use more geo, and fewer "cheats" (i.e. 3D trees vs. billboard trees; buildings with "actual" glass windows and modeled interiors vs. windows with an interior texture applied to the windows) will feel much better when viewed in stereoscopic 3D. But yes, this comes down more to the content provided rather than the technicals of the game engine.

18. maniac618

maniac618 Registered

Orders are being shipped.

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

thanks the pointer, at long last hey, I hope to be in the first batch

20. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

You must be kidding me, right?

First of all, your point about FOV is absolutely ridiculous when we are talking about sim racing here. You know that racing drivers wear a helmet, and that having it on gives you LESS field of view available than what the Rift DK1 provides (CV1 will have wider FOV). Second person I see that owns TrackIR and complains about realism like if turning your head anti-naturally with trackIR was real

Second of all, resolution. Consumer version will be out next year and will have at least 1440p and much better optics. That will result in almost 4x times the amount of pixels available compared to the one you tried.

Consumer V1 will not only blow TrackIR out of the water, it will provide presence. But I guess if you are so short-sighted you can't even see how this is the future of sim-racing, you will never understand what presence is until you actually experience it. 95 Hz + Low persistence means CV1 will have less motion blur than 120Hz eyefinity aka "world of monitor borders"

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.