Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Just to give you guys the heads up: I noticed, when browsing through the list of available shaders, that there's an effects shader that's called 'Oculus Pixel Warp'. So, I think it's safe to say that ISI have been working on Oculus Rift support.

Granted, this is just 'proof' that they've at least been doing 'something'. A good VR integration is much more than the pixel warp shader. Much of which comes down to making the UI work in VR--which in and of itself is no small undertaking. I suspect ISI will want to at least make sure that all the pieces are in place before they announce/show/release anything.

Personally, I truly do hope that it's ready to go when the consumer version drops; 'cause I'm getting one pretty much just for sim racing.

2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

When Oculus finally gets out, it will be supported by all serious sim racing platforms. Whichever company that does not support it, does not understand its customers.

enviado mediante tapatalk

3. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

As much as I would like naitive oculus support in rf2 in time for when my dk2 arrives, it's still very early days until consumer version is released.

4. capetuso

capetuso Registered

I am selling 2 of my 3 screens and play only with oculus once consumer version is on sale. So I really hope rfactor2 supports it.

5. Minibull

Minibull Member

I feel the same way. As soon as these kind of systems are released and working well, that's when I will be actually piecing together a proper driving sim rig, proper seat and wheel/pedal mounts, etc. Makes sense too, as you just have the headset thing sitting on the desk instead of 3 screens. Means you could package your rig anywhere, even tucked up against a wall.

6. Axe

Axe Registered

I think this could help to see driver's real hands and steering wheel...

7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I think an easier would be to have a webcam in the rift that when pushing a button would show a small screen with what can be seen by the camera.
    Something like this
    View attachment 12766

8. SMOK3Y

SMOK3Y Registered

there is a plugin (whatever ya call it lol) that you can use ive used it with my DK1 & rF2 with an Oculus (even DK1) is awesome :) will be ordering an DK2 in a coupla weeks

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I checked with oculus and the people that ordered in the first batch ( when their website stated July ) still should receive their units in July, hopefully a plugin for the dk2 & rf2 should follow fairly quickly ( pretty please ),
    only so many allocated per country for the first batch not sure if this will effect things

I think the good vittorio will be on the case is it just you vittorio that's doing this for rf2 ?

p.s I hope the dk2 is good enough to take away the side screens on my system too

10. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I will work (and probably release) a new plugin version the weekend after Oculus released their DK2 ready SDK. Even if the plugin got only tested with a DK1 it probably will just work with a DK2 including positional tracking, because in the next SDK Oculus will do the neck model implementation when used with a DK1 and full positional tracking when used with a DK2. So if the neck model works with DK1, positional tracking will probably work too when used with a DK2.

Tridef needs to support DK2 too. So by using Tridef+plugin, rF2 should be ready for DK2 even without released native support by ISI.

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

vittorio brill!

sooooo glad your on the case, I assume you ordered the dk2 (like me ) very quickly thus should also be one of the first to receive, I hope the new SDK causes you no problems etc & the transition from the old to new is an easy one

if it wasn't for you we'd perhaps not have compatibility at all
    ( not sure if ISI are looking into an integrated non plugin support )

12. vittorio

vittorio Registered

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

well spotted vittorio

Pixal warping ......koo that sounds impressive

14. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Here's hoping they're shooting for implementation in time for DK2. It'd be an awesome surprise.

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

just over a month away, I can not wait

although perhaps mine will not show up until end of July so that's 2 months doh!

16. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

hehe, excited too. :p

Really hoping the fact it's a pentile screen won't ruin it but massively looking forward to the lightboost equivalent blur removal technique (and for those who don't or have not tried light boost before, you're in for a huge treat ;)...it genuinely is a night and day difference) and the much improved head tracking with full 6-dof.

17. Adrian

Adrian Registered

So after using the 1080p upgrade in my rift for a few days I thought i'd let you guys know what its like.

Its pretty much all good news, with the increased resolution I can now see far enough ahead to see braking markers and stuff like that, even on long straights (end of COTA straight for example) where its now pretty much as easy as driving on a monitor. It still doesn't look "great" but its enough to be at the stage where you can tell a good texture from a bad one and I think 1440p will be starting to get to where you could enjoy the graphics of a game as well as the experience.

Performance wise also more good news, going from 720p to 1080p hasn't had a huge impact on FPS maybe 15-20%. The stereo rendering and pixel distortion have a much larger impact on performance than resolution so pretty much if you can run the DK1 you should be fine for DK2 (at least in RF2)

Oh and also RF2 is still the best looking, best feeling and most fun thing on the Rift, the Tridef+plugin destroys both AC and PCARS 1st party integration. :cool:

18. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Nice. FYI, it should be 1280x800p on the dk1 unless its your own home built home sourced version.

What's the performance drop like with the rift?

19. Adrian

Adrian Registered

:p yeah but its easier to write 720p and even with a 1280x800 screen your not seeing the top or bottom due to the optics so its probably about 680 view-able pixels anyway.

I get/got 120fps+ @1080p 65-70fps 5760x1080 and around ~85fps 720p rift and ~60-70 1080p rift

20. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Just as many characters in 800p. :p

Hmm, I wonder if that performance drop is due to tridef vs rift integration by developers?

What was the performance difference for ac and iRacing if you don't mind.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.