Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vittorio

vittorio Registered

The human FOV actually is 270 degrees:

"2.2. Finger Exercises
    Lest there be any doubt about the fact that the eye normally sees a very wide angle, we have devised two simple finger exercises. The first (Fig. 2) involves wiggling your fingers at arm's length on opposite sides of the head, 180 degrees apart. Looking straight ahead, people with normal vision can see both fingers wiggling. If we add the capacity of the eyes to swivel approximately 90 degrees, we see that the entire field of view is in fact 270 degrees — entirely without the benefit of head motion."

For the perception/feeling that you are "in the world" and not being outside and looking thru a window into a world, the FOV which eliminates the stereo window is important. It's the FOV where an object can't be seen by both eyes anymore. For this the FOV needs to be > 80°.

And the feeling that you are in the world is absolutely incredible.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2014
  2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Drivers wear helmets. 100 is enough IMO

enviado mediante tapatalk

3. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/facebook-to-acquire-oculus-252328061.html

[​IMG]

4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Facebook acquiring oculus .....they have nothing else do with their investers cash I guess

hopefully will be a good "partnership"

p.s I guess oculus are now indirectly investable

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
  5. vali

vali Registered

I hope they don't force you to have a fb account to use the thing or they will not see my money.

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

just thinking, oculus now empowered with some serious clout

this may delay consumer version -but good news as they'll maybe be producing their own super hd screens perfectly suited for VR instead of making best if mobile phone screen etc

eg good news for us

7. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

8. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

To me they already lost it. I will wait for Sony device now.

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Facebook have some powerful visions I'm sure
    (as well as a pile of cash to throw around)

a connection of people through VR in virtual meeting places, including sound & of course full VR vision on the Facebook VR platform

very exciting stuff ( especially for people unable to leave their homes etc )

with this sort of investment I think the news flow over the next couple of years will be very interesting

10. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Its weird how people are getting so worked up about this, especially on the oculus forums all the 'devs' cancelling their games, they must not really care about vr as much as they professed to :).

Also notch is a baby. What sort of person announces a product just to cancel it.

The best thing about this is the fact people are canceling their pre-orders so that means I should get mine sooner.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

11. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

LOL. ;)

Yes, notch is a baby and too quick to judge. Ever read his "unlimited detail" blog? Quite a distasteful read.

12. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

Their focus will be in facebook and whatapps users not gaming i think. I think they won´t put much work in getter better or wider FOV anymore. Maybe something lighter(less weight) i think.
    I didn´t make any race with dk1 so weight or sweat was not an issue. Should testedd more before selling.

ahaha, agreed with Hitler

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2014
  13. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

With facebook ruling the company this should be not an issue anymore. I bet they will sale more.

14. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Why would palmer sell his company (and dream) to someone that was going to destroy it? Also Facebook aren't going to waste $2b, the only thing that makes sense for them to do is let oculus make the best VR device possible, if they wanted to crank out something crap then they could just make their own now.

Also as their target audience doesn't know who oculus is then they won't be getting any brand name recognition like they did for Whatsapp or Instagram.

15. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Mate it isn't weird at all! NSABook FBIBook. How much extra development before a quick retina scan cross referenced to your ip address. Next thing you know your halfway through a race and your door gets kicked in because you:

are behind on your taxes.
    publicly disagree with Murican foreign policy.
    don't like apple pie or know the star spangled banner.
    pissed them off in some way.

Hell they don't even need to kick your door in they could just blind you.

Sure it sounds a bit tin-foil hat but not if you look at the evidence.

I called it the other day but had hoped for Nvidia or AMD or Intel, it may and probably would have gone the same way but Facebook!? I am gutted. I personally will have f all to do with it now, and happily be called crazy. I don't like or trust Zuckerberg or Facebook or the authorities that will now have control over the product, I don't give them any money if I can avoid it. I am not surprised some devs are dropping it. Some people still have moral principles that will override the need for the furthering of VR. It doesn't mean they don't care about it, it means they DO. They want it done right. How does Zuckerberg want it, right for you? Or right for him and his pals?

16. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

All I'll say is "choose your battles" and perhaps wait to see what the final product comes bundled with before righting off wanting one because of issues you have with a different product from a company now associated with this one.

17. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

We will see, or perhaps we won't until it's too late. :rolleyes:

18. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

I think Facebook is disgusting, but I have to admit this is a clever move on their part. I also think the buyout could end up being good for us as gamers, because virtual reality has a higher chance of succeeding. Facebook has massive amounts of cash and a frighteningly tight grasp of a billion people. Facebook has already demonstrated an ability to change people's behaviour to serve its interests. I have seen friends and family members attempt to resist but ultimately collapse into the clutches of facebook. With this development the future of virtual reality is now certain - it will be forced upon the world and you will like it.

19. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

I disagree but not like other nut posts. I will wait to read Vittorio´s opinion on this.

20. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

Forget to say: i don´t think is that easy. A lot solutions and problems solved come from software. It´s not only rebuilt the hardware.
    Destroy seems a strong word to my vocabulary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.