Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

Yeah, and not only lighter; now it has 2x1280x800 pixels, but they are going to upgrade with 2 panels of 1920x1200.

2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

That new res will be nice but i read that since the fov on this one is already much bigger than the oculus, the effective screen density is even lower than the oculus rift with same 800p displays, so i'm not sure if the 1200p displays will make it look better than the oculus but perhaps on par with the oculus in terms of pixel density quality.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2013
  3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

is this news official ??????

4. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

Yes, in this forum:
    http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=18369&start=0

A member asked to creator:
    Have you considered using 5.5" 1080P screens or similar sized FHD screens?

And the InfinitEye developer (foisi in that forum) answered:
    Yes, two 7" 1920x1200 (better than FHD) would be awesome ! I'm looking forward to seeing if the new Nexus 7 panel could be usable.

5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

What is the FOV for the average human eye?

6. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

More than 180, try look at sides, you can see even slightly behind your shoulders.

7. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

The human eye will be limited to no more than 180 fov and when combined for stereoscopic vision it will still be 180. But your fov reach from a stationary head position is going to be more than 180 because you can direct your eyes to the left/right which will increase the overall fov reach. But still, your eyes will not generate an image more that 180 degrees fov at any given time.

8. superbike81

superbike81 Registered

I'm primarily an iRacer, ESPECIALLY since they released native Rift support, I haven't even touched another racing game. Going to give this latest plugin for rF2 a try tonight though. I can't stand using that POS Opentrack for head tracking, no matter how much tweaking I do, it still sucks.

So thank you Vittorio, thank you so much for giving me another racing game to play. It will be nice to be able to see how rF2 performs in the Rift on my system.

9. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

You mainly play with the Rift now? How? I can't even focus on the track (both iRacing and rFactor) due to the low resolution. It's fun, but not a permanently replacement (yet).

10. maniac618

maniac618 Registered

ISI really, really, really, need to jump into Oculus Rift support full on. I tried the dev kit a few days ago (my uni ordered 2 and they are the low res ones). It is amazing, simply amazing, and would bring so much to racing sims!

Proper Oculus Rift support =

> no more triple screens set ups
    > less graphics card high spec requirements (VRAM)
    > more immersion
    > better simulation / gameplay
    > OVERALL CHEAPER FOR THE CUSTOMER & A BETTER EXPERIENCE!

It's just so much of a win win scenario it's great!

11. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

New beta for TriDef, includes rF2 profile and headtracking..cant wait to try it tonight

12. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Thats great superbike81. I'm a rF2 user since first release and lately joined iRacing because of Rift support (which is really good) :)
    If you have any problems I'm happy to help.

13. superbike81

superbike81 Registered

Yeah, I won't go back to playing on a regular monitor, it just feels so.....fake.

I find it's more difficult to be consistent and hit my braking points at first, but after some practice I'm just as fast (not very) as before. So yeah, I've ditched my triple screen setup completely and solely use the Rift.

14. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

vittorio, will your rF2 plugin work for things like Formula Trucks? I just grabbed Formula Tucks 2013 and it's lovely and would love to look around the cabs but I cant get any head tracking working.
    :)

15. vittorio

vittorio Registered

AFAIK Formula Trucks is rF1 based and i've read that rF1 plugins should work, so the rF2 plugin won't work. But I'm trying to release a rF1 plugin later. Just need to find some time to work on it again and fix one major problem.

16. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

Thanks mate :)

17. smbrm

smbrm Registered

rF2 is CPU or video card limited depending on where you are starting from. 3 monitors seems to rely heavily on video card power and ram. I suspect one should wonder whether a 2GB video card(in the nvidea 700 series) will be enough going forward for a 3 monitor system? A better question might be whether a 2GB video card have a longer life span powering the lower pixel count of the oculus rift?

18. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

I think future devices like oculus should have the triple screen resolution or even higher. It's so close to your eyes. So in that matter I would expect the life span is about the same (I guess).

19. elbo

elbo Registered

I've played it for a couple of weeks now and my views are mixed.
    For rf2 the current hardware shows promise. The inside the car feel is unsurpassed. I swear I could pick out the car stepping out much more than on my projector setup. The looking into corners is also a real game changer. glancing over at adjacent cars....incredible.

the draw back remains the resolution. I had forgotten just how much you have to give up to play with the rift. I went back to the projector and was shocked at how pretty Longford is on screen versus the rift. you also loose all details as concerns tire wear, marbles, ect.

also drift, hopefully this will be addressed soon. playing a shooter, it doesn't much matter what direction you are facing but sitting at the wheel it gets odd quickly as you have to hold your head at an angle to your wheel.

My feeling is that the real promise for simracers will be the next higher red iteration of the rift.

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Oculus rift -over 10,000 pre-ordered already ...ISI supporting??

interesting, I would have thought that the movement of your viewpoint would be taking away the visual cues regarding grip/car behavior.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.