New AMD driver to reduce frame latency issues.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nand Gate, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Novis

Novis Registered

With the next generation of cards put on hold, there is only one new card expected this year and that card is the Titan (see below). Yes, you could save yourself a few bucks by waiting, but when you finally update the performance gain will not be that much compared to what you get today. If you thinking of an update it's not that bad to do it now.

Go for the single card. Only do SLI/CF if the high-end card isn't enough.

Why would you want to buy a SLI/CF today? Wait a month and get the Titan instead (unless you're a AMD guy). GeForce-Titan

2. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

Huh?

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-HD-8990-Rumored-2013-Launch

"Sea Islands is the successor to the Southern Islands architecture used on the 7000 series. It features an improved Graphics Core Next GPU processor architecture based on TSMC's 28nm process. With that said, the chip will draw less power and be faster on GPGPU workloads thanks to several efficiency tweaks. Graphics cards based on Sea Islands will support DirectX 11, and will be available early next year" (Q1/2 2013)

"...newly leaked Radeon HD 8970 will use the "Sea Islands" Tenerife GPU. New information seems to suggest that AMD will actually brand it the Venus XTX for 8970"

"
    Tenerife offers up some impressive (but realistic) specifications, including 2,560 shaders, 160 texture units, 48 ROPs, and a relatively massive 384-bit memory bus. Also impressive is an alleged transistor count of 5.1 billion, which puts it a great deal above the Radeon 7970's 4.31 billion transistors. This rumored Tenerife/Venus XTX GPU (whichever AMD ends up calling it) will have a 250W TDP and will be use in the 8970 flagship graphics card. Venus XT/Pro will scale back the chip a bit by featuring 2,304 shaders, 144 texture units, and 32 ROPs. No word yet on what the TDP will be."

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2013
  3. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2013
  4. Novis

Novis Registered

That is an old article and was a rumor at best. Every report I have read lately says the same thing, next generation of cards delayed to the end of the year. Even Robert Hallock product marketing manager at AMD is supposedly twitting about it. :) I love to be proven wrong as I should be shopping a new card myself.

5. lopsided

lopsided Registered

Hi Novis, Well I'm not actually the one interested in SLI, just a personal preference. And the Titan is more $$$ than I'm willing to put in my system. That being said, I don't play any other games, just race sims, mostly rfactor 1 & 2 because of league involvement and always on triples.
    Is there good reason to believe I would not see enough of an improvement in rf2 to upgrade to a 670/680/7970 from a 6950 2gb?

6. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Hey Bailey that 7970 should be a monster for this game. If you overclock it just a little it should really do the job with your triple-screens. I got a 7870 powering my 3 recent screens and it's doing pretty well. I may not be able to max everything in rFactor2 but I can max enough stuff to get a great visual experience.

7. Novis

Novis Registered

The 680/7970 should probable give you another +50-100% fps so it depends on where you start. Hopefully someone with experience of such an upgrade can fill you in.

8. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Given the performance difference shown in benchmark tests, you should see a noticeable difference switching to any of those mentioned by you. The jump from the 6XXX series to the 7XXX series was impressive and they can be overclocked nicely if you wish to go that route.

Keep in mind however, the jump isn't going to double your frame rates, it is just going to be noticeable. You will likely see about a 15% or more increase in performance, especially with the beta drivers that have recently been released.

9. lopsided

lopsided Registered

Is the difference between Nvidia's and AMD's memory bandwidth enough to give AMD an advantage being that I'm running 5760 rez? I'm confused as to whether it holds enough importance here to go with Nvidia. I don't have much experience with GPU's as I built my very first gaming computer just last year, so not a fan of either. Just looking at specs. I see AMD has more bandwidth, but reading actual GPU reviews it appears Nvidia has more 5 star products than AMD (reading on Newegg 670 vs 7970).

10. Novis

Novis Registered

The trend in benchmarks is that the higher the resolution the more it swings to the 7970. That is probably because of the higher memory bandwidth. I wouldn't say that the difference is enough to dismiss the other card but the more graphic features you turn on the more importance the memory bandwidth will have.

I wouldn't go after buyers rating. Most people rate their own card as the best. On the GPU side fanwars are common to say the least. The difference between cards isn't that big so any card will be a great buy I think.

11. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Reviews on sites like newegg are less likely to be accurate than on sites that specifically deal with testing hardware. There has been an issue with frame delay on the ATI cards, but that is being addressed with the current beta driver that is available. As to the bandwidth of the memory, that will primarily play a role in how quickly the GPU is able to get and put out data, which in the long run actually should give the ATI cards the advantage in more demanding roles. This is why the ATI cards show better performance at higher screen resolutions in pretty much all hardware testing at the moment. I would suggest you compare the 7970 against the GTX 680 though as that would be a closer match. The 7970 is still a faster card, but it is a lot closer.

The one area where nVidia holds a clear advantage is in power consumption. Their 6XX cards use less power by quite a margin than the 79XX cards from ATI.

12. kr1nz

kr1nz Registered

Since we are talking about reviews...I like to use techpowerup website to compare new graphic cards performance to my HD6950@6979 (Bios flash). In every review they have a graph with the performance of differente graphic cards.

13. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

a 7970 on triple screen for rF2 does the job... but Rf2 needs to gets less performance hungry if you consider the actual GFX detail/quality. (> project cars looks much better and is more fluid.. but still without the same level of physics)... I just hope that we won't have to decide between GFX quality and physics accuracy...)

14. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Just curious Cracheur, have you seen any widescreen screenshots from PCars? If you have, do they list the system specs they were running when they took the screenshot?

15. SQUIRRELBONG

SQUIRRELBONG Registered

I currently have the 5970, would i see much of a gain going to the 7970?

16. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

In a word, Yes. :) Especially if you get a card that has 2Gb or more on it. Normally I would not recommend an upgrade on a card that is lower than 4 tiers difference between the 2, but the jump from the 5XXX series cards to the 7XXX cards is rather a large jump as compared to other generations of ATI cards. For that reason alone I would recommend making the jump unless you are satisfied with the current workings of your system and are just looking at upgrade paths. If you are in no hurry, wait for the next gen ATI cards, if you are in a hurry, get the 7XXX cards.

17. SQUIRRELBONG

SQUIRRELBONG Registered

Cheers for the info man. Im in no hurry at the moment this card is doing quite a good job and with a future optimization coming, hopefully for rfac2, my 5970 which isnt even OCed will do an even better job fingers Xed. But the time will come one day when ill be looking at an upgrade and the Graphics Card will be the most likely candidate.:eek:

18. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

Yes - a lot. 5970 is what I would call minimum for this software. 7970 is minimum for running it at full.

19. Novis

Novis Registered

No, I wouldn't do it. Expected increase in frame rate with that upgrade would be in the range 0-30%.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/587?vs=508

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2013
  20. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered