Renault Clio refections in screen

Discussion in 'ISI cars and tracks' started by ´goggo1peter, Jan 11, 2013.

1. ´goggo1peter

´goggo1peter Registered

2. faro06

faro06 Registered

3. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I am pretty sure ISI will rework all mods when the lightning engine is final.
    But rFactor 2 is a modding platform. You can extract the CLIO_WINDSHIELD_IN.DDS from the clio.mas file, remove the reflection part and create a new component.

4. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

...but that won't work online unless all would be using your modified Clio mod.

5. Tosch

Tosch Registered

yep, maybe it makes sense for a league.

here is the culprit

CLIO_WINDSHIELD_INsmall .jpg

6. Thiago Lima

Thiago Lima Registered

WHAT!?why man why!?!?

Love this effect!!:cool:

7. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

You like having your vision blocked?

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Makes me wonder why everyone keeps mentioning spray from the rain... :)

9. Redpxl

Redpxl Registered

hmmm!
    Maybe it have to do with the fact that these reflections are simply not realistic, you are using a static low resolution distorted image. Maybe a decent quality would make it more appealing. And it is worse when someone use a realistic FOV.

10. ThoKa

ThoKa Guest

+1
    I'm loving this effect too, it adds a lot of immersion to the cockpit view!
    But for the sake of peace and quiet it wouldn't harm to make it an option, eg via the upgrades

11. Tosch

Tosch Registered

The effect is not bad but it is to extreme. Try a race in dark conditions, it will look like this.

[​IMG]

12. kro388th

kro388th Registered

I agree that its a cool feature , I reely like how the sun effects the windshield reflections in certin areas but the static reflections that come from inside and dont move come on a bit strong in certin sitituations .. An adjustment or a slider for users to turn up/down/off would be nice ?

However I think for online races one might have an advantage if his were off while another player was blinded a bit with his on ... so I believe if ther were a way to choose everyone would just have them off all the time .. ;-(

IRL we have to deal with reflections all the time and they change with time of day ..

A good fix for me would be to just turn them down a notch to avoid compleet blindness like TOSH's pic even tho it probly true to real life as we get blinded from time to time but we also have all the other sences to fall back on IRL. not so in our sim cars ;-)

13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I already reported that we might need to check how it works in some conditions. I just thought it funny that obscured vision was mentioned, when spray is asked about a lot. :) Sorry. :D

14. sg333

sg333 Registered

It should ideally be a feature you can disable. I dont feel it 'works' in any of the cars; ive never been aware of those reflections in a real car but its blindingly obvious in RF2.

15. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Yes ironic isn't it ! lol ,however in the rain one would expect to have vision obscured and be prepared to except it for what it is. For the fair weather driving I sometimes feel theirs just a tad to much of the static reflection , It doesn't bother me that much or I have gotten used to it now but I can see why some posters are complaining about it . Maybe if it were just a little more transparent it would be easier on the eye’s and more believable , sometimes when your going away from the sun it looks perfect ,then the angle changes and it becomes more visible or stronger to the point it throws some people off ...

Anyway you said its been reported so we will see how she goes !

Thanks ;-)

16. ThoKa

ThoKa Guest

Yep, slightly increasing the transparency would do the trick imho.
    But for the love of sweet baby Jesus don't disable this effect completely lol....if you want to know how awful it looks to drive without a visible winscreen & windscreen reflections just take a look at LFS

17. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

People want realism - unless it makes it harder in any way :)

18. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

If view obstruction is more pronounced than in reality, then it's not realism.

The problem is that dashboard reflection is painted on one of textures used by window shader. When another car is behind you at night, it will lit your front window and make this reflection texture bright while your dashboard stays dark, because dashboard surface is at different angle relative to light source than window surface.
    Thus, reflection of an object becomes brighter than object itself and that's definitely not realism.

That reflection texture would have to come with object-space normalmap that would tell window shader actual orientation of reflected dashboard to determine proper lighting intensity. In other words, that dashboard reflection would have to come alive within window object.
    Additionally, it would require another texture with pixel's position in object-space for shadowmap algorithm. Of course we would need shadowmaps generated for following car's headlights in the first place.

That's when we could call this realistic. I don't expect many people to follow me on this tech mumbo jumbo I just wrote :) I just wanted to make it clear how far from realistic this effect actually is.

I don't think people will complain having their view obstructed by water spray. I wouldn't complain about realistic view obstruction, but I will not like unrealistic view obstruction.

In this case, we clearily have view obstruction caused by unrealistic lighting of reflected dashboard.
    I think ISI will tune this effect to look more less ok in different conditions.
    This should work for most of us. Perhaps not for me, but I'm spoiled in this way, because I'm a graphics programmer ;) The only thing that would work for me is "live" reflection (showing actual appearance of reflected object, not an approximation) or no reflection at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013
  19. Sam Moss

Sam Moss Registered

It would be realistic if they just had a normal plastic or carbon dash as the sunlight reflects it onto the windscreen. What people normally do is add flock material to the dash, like seat interior trim to stop the windscreen having a reflection.

20. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

We can see through rain drops thanks to wipers so that's reality and it's cool, and that's why we ask for it! ;) Now, reflections have no wipers :( so please, add a reflections wipers inside the windshield or fix the texture, but that's less fun ;)