[Triple Screen] With eVGA 660 ti SC ? Its possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Thiago Lima, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Thiago Lima

Thiago Lima Registered

Is it?

I mean, can I get betwen 30 and 60 FPS with bezel correction, AA level 3, HDR on, AFx18 and everything MAX (maybe shadow at medium)?

My PC:

i5 2400 (with boost) 3.6 GHZ
    4 gb DDR3 1600 MHz Gskill
    eVGA 660 ti SuperClocked 2 GDDR5
    3 x LG 23`IPS (gonna buy 2, if its possible)

2. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

From what I can see of your system, it should do ok. You might have to turn down the AF just a little, but that shouldn't affect quality that much. The main deciding factor is going to be the screen res after you get setup. If it is around 5800 X 1080 it would be alright, but if you have monitors that are capable of running over 2XXX for width, that would seriously increase the total number of pixels to be drawn and thus will increase the load on the graphics card.

There is a slight possibility that you will run out of graphics memory, but you will have to play with it a little to see for sure.

3. Thiago Lima

Thiago Lima Registered

Thanks man!

The GPU memory should work. My friend has a 7970 3GDDR5...and i saw that even with 3 screens rfactor2 only took 1.3 GDDR5 of memory size.

And Im gonna up my PC memory to 8 DDR3 1600 MHZ next month.

In fact, I was thinking `bout selling the 660ti SC and buy a 670, But i dont see the point of spending plus 150 dollars (Im in Brazil, things are NOT cheap around here) to see...like....more 8 frames then the 660ti SC.

I guess Im gonna try the triple head! \o/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013
  4. clock

clock Registered

if you have a friend with 7970, you can compare the settings because 660ti is so much underpower target compared to the 7970, and for example with mine (7970 X-edition) i'm struggling to get good fps with all the overclock that i done (1225 core/ 1625 memory) and still so low fps on starts with 25 cars could be 25 or 30 fps,
    i'm running all maxed except, oponent detail high, shadows high and shadow blur off....
    i think that you will have to play in middle details with the 660ti..
    Memory is still not a problem rfactor 2 only uses between 1.3 Ggias and 1.5 gigas depending on track and cars..Maybe future mods with higher shaders and details, will use a bit more...

Before buying the new monitors, the best you can do is going with you computer to you friend house, and conect to your computer the 3 screens and see how your 660ti work with them, and after trying it if you decide that is good buy the monitors...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2013
  5. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Not sure why you are having issues Clock, what drivers are you running? I say this because I run triple monitors with my 6950 with just about everything maxed and I get some decent FPS, though I don't exceed 60, I don't drop below 30 either.

6. clock

clock Registered

try multiplayer on LRP with 25 cars (skip barber and start on the middle) on the start, and you will see how many fps you have with your 6950 (your monitors are on 5760x 1080) with AA level 1 and AF force to 16x)...you have to force some seetings in CCC to get better IQ (like moving filter to quality, etc), with default ones is not as great, but give more fps,(and ingame you can have full maxed) but really it is not full maxed...

other track like new SPA, from the last chicane until arrive on larouge is near 30 fps...the rest of the track is between 40-50 fps.
    it depends on the track..
    My drivers are 12.11 beta 11, with cap2.

Here some screens with low fps....

http://subefotos.com/ver/?c1c2d19ce267819790d245bb83574ea3o.jpg

And one in single player..

http://subefotos.com/ver/?d9855ad83070fd0feb17db7731f9f2b1o.jpg

P.D: of course multiview enabled...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2013
  7. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Are you using FXAA injector or SweetFX injector?

8. clock

clock Registered

no i dont use them..

9. Thiago Lima

Thiago Lima Registered

Multiview drops the FPS down.
    This friend with (7970) 3 screens runs without multiview, but with bezzel corrections.
    I saw the rig and its quite a good 3 screens setup...no need of multi drop the FPS view

He gets around 38 FPS and 78 FPS.

PS: Why do you have 3 virtual mirros?
    PS2: if i buy GTX 670...things will get better?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2013
  10. Thiago Lima

Thiago Lima Registered

I had tis card and sold months ago. Now, before black friday, im with 660 ti SC.
    YOur comments `bout running triple head with good FPS gives me hope! rsrs

11. clock

clock Registered

Multiview give you the rigth sightseeing while using 3 screens with the two side scrrens in angle, you have a false view if you dont use it..(And render each screens as separates screens)

- I use 3 virtual mirros, because i always play online, and for avoiding collisions i need to see fine the rearside and sides, and with the crap mirrors that we have ingame (and his null possibilitys to adjust them correctly) i try to use as many mirros as possible to make clean races...

On that it's easy your friend have more powerfull card than the GTX670, you could only go lower than him..How much lower you will have to see it...
    Remember the best is taking your pc on his home and try it with his 3 screens and you will now, if it can reach your minimun requirements...

12. Thiago Lima

Thiago Lima Registered

Here in Brazil, the 660ti costs almost U$ 600 bucks (from your money), in our money it costs R$ 1200 REAIS.
    Just to you guys know, the minumun salary (is this gramatically correct?) in Brazil is R$ 600 REAIS...or U$ 300 bucks on your money!!
    Even my english...i had to pay to learn.

It took me a lot of work to finally buy everything that i needed to race.

Now I dont know what to do. If I try 2 more screens and the VGA did not handle it im gonna be very frustrated. :/
    I was thinking of buying a single 40/42" screen and ajust the FOV. Its gonna cost me the same, but that for sure my 660 ti can handle.

13. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Maybe you can bring your 660 Ti card over to your friend's (the one with tri screen setup) and try it there, if he didn't mind about it.

14. Thiago Lima

Thiago Lima Registered

He`s on the other side of my country now. :/

Its like...New York and New Mexico! :eek:

Im really thinking `bout just 1 big screen + Track IR.

Something like 40" / 42" screen.

15. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

If you are really thinking about triple monitors, I would consider getting them and seeing how it performs. If you find that you have to turn some things down to get smooth playable frame rates, then do so and save up for a second graphics card to run SLI in the future.

Don't get stuck on the numbers btw, what you should be concerned most with is that you have a smooth experience with little to no input lag. If your system can achieve this and only run at 30fps, then that is better than 60fps with some stutter or input lag. With normal Large format televisions btw it is not uncommon to have a little bit of input lag.

16. Pits

Pits Registered

With all the posts about running 3 screens there aren't so many clever posts going on here but ppl willing to spend other ppl's money like it wasn't their own.

For every one person that seems ok with triples there are 5 that find them unusable, not an opinion just read this forum.

I7
    gt670
    16 gig
    128 SSD

Utterly hopeless with 3 screens for frames

17. Thiago Lima

Thiago Lima Registered

So i guess if I try a large screen 36/39/40"...what do I have to look after?
    I mean, the specs of the screen?

Noob question: Forget about 3Dvision.......Is it possible to buy a 3D Screen (LG Samsung etc) and force the 3D from television and not from the VGAcard?

18. Thiago Lima

Thiago Lima Registered

Im really tended to go with one big screen (acctualy a TV LOL) + track noIR (is this working on rf2?)
    Racing is just a hobby, decided not to spend money and space with 3 heads.

PS: "Utterly" what does it means??

19. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Unfortunately Pits, Thiago is the one that is considering triple screens so we are giving advice, not trying to persuade him to spend tons of money unnecessarily.

Had he asked which way he should go, instead of was it possible to do, then the replies might have been a little different.

@Thiago Lima: From what I have been hearing around different places it is impossible to tell for sure if the TV you purchase will have issues with control lag until you have purchased it and are using it. What we would look for in a computer monitor would be response time rated in GTG which I believe stands for Grey to Grey, but not positive on that definition.

Also, I don't think that have a 3D television is going to change anything with the game because the TV needs the information from the game about the 3D. Typically this would be because there are actually 2 sets of images sent to the TV for every frame of video that is being seen. One for the right eye and one for the left eye, or one for red and one for blue, how ever it is done by the game.

20. Pits

Pits Registered

"PS: "Utterly" what does it means?? " lol I'm sry, you could replace Utterly" with "Almost Completely" but that makes it more emotive.

"Had he asked which way he should go, instead of was it possible to do, then the replies might have been a little different."

I think since one leads straight to the next anything said will be helpful, everything is possible but not everything is clever to do, I was saying in this case some have found it not very clever at all and like myself have spent a lot of money doing what it's told to take to achieve the desired end result, with poor results.

With the 3D my experience is the game itself seems to have very little to do whether it works or not, it's to do with the compatibility of the glasses to the screen.

Thiago Lima, if it helps
    1. Triples have been a nightmare for me (just not enough frames per second)
    2. I now use a standard 40" Sony Bravia LED TV @ 1080 and it's fine
    3. With a 3D TV you lose 1/2 the frames again as it splits to make the 3D, but it looks amazing for sure. A very costly way to go as well.