Why can't I get into Nords?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kknorpp001, Jan 4, 2013.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I didn't see any harm in the posts. Everyone makes offtopic posts in replies, and they're a part of human nature, and so is the odd joke here and there... :)

2. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

+1

I'm with you Kknorpp. I've tried for years to "get into" the Nurburgring. Yes it is a huge challenge, difficult to even learn and far more difficult to "master". Yes it has so much history (and I am a huge lover of histry). I've reached the point where I can occasionally get some pleasure for a while trying to better my pitiful PB. But after an hour or two I've had enough and abandon it for months, usually until I have a pending race which requires me to brush-up on it again. But racing there... I hate it. It is so dangerous that I find that I never really "race" but only tool around trying to not crash. And I rarely succeed in that. If I do it is extremely boring as I'm running totally alone just looking for the lap count to reach the end. The race winner has usually gone off for dinner before I cross the line.

Edit: I must add that I did 2 laps there in real life in a rental car (as usual, tooling around relatively slowly trying not to crash.) Even so, that was probably the most exhilarating 20 minutes of my life! I mean that literally. Those flying past me were most definitely not "tooling" around.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013
  3. mianiak

mianiak Registered

I find that making the suspension really soft (especially in the rear) and lowering the tire pressure a bit helps make it an easy drive. It's not the fastest setup by far but it makes the car handle better hence less chance of wiping out and a more enjoyable scenic drive until you get used to the track, then you can tune things up and get a bit faster. In rF1 I like using the GTR in NAGT for this, because its AWD and a lot easier to control.

4. rhamm

rhamm Registered

All I've got to say is I'm glad it's not Circuit de la Sarthe since that puts me to sleep.

5. Traveller

Traveller Member

Maybe you don't "get into" it because it's not your thing. There are very few mods and tracks that I'm "into" in sim-racing.

6. PorscheMR6

PorscheMR6 Registered

Don't take him seriously. I think he's one of cdnracer's fakeaccounts with which he's giving himself rep, because nobody likes him.

1 person likes this.
  7. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Your the only one complaining, it's just some friendly banter. Lighten-up.

Back on topic...

My theory you don't see a whole lot of Nords server being that it's such a long circuit and one mistake on the out and your back to square one. Spa (as fun as it is) is sometimes bad enough in that regard, lol but Nords feels like an eternity in comparison.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013
  8. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

i think the fun at the nordschleife starts once you know it very well.
    Trying to set a perfect laptime around it is one of the hardest things - nearly 8 minutes of doing everything perfect and keeping the tires in the window is super hard.
    And also, once you know the nordschleife very well you can race other people on it. You have to know where you can overtake and you have to know with which line you have to take for that.
    So what i'm saying is, that the nordschleife requires you to race completely different than you do on other circuits. That is the fun of it. One other great thing is the satisfaction you get, when you start to remember all the crests and corners better and better over the time...when you know, when you have to lift of the gas, so your tires don't start to slip.
    But don't try to learn the nordschleife with the old version we have right now. Even though i love the nordschleife, i really can't get into that version also. Looks bad, drives bad. They should re-loft the complete race surface...then it would maybe at least feel good.

1 person likes this.
  9. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

This!

10. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

The Green Hell is a bitch to learn and difficult to learn to love. But if you stick at it there will come a point where things will start to click. once that happens it can become very addicting.
    Its not everyone's cup of tea of course but if you like the huge challenge (and are trying to go faster as aposed to trying to stay on the track) then there is not much that can challenge the Ring imo.

I've raced the Ring in every sim/game i had for decades and even in Gran turismo2 or 3 it was huge fun, just because of the different approach innit. not to be compared to simracing of course but such is my addiction, i will also race it in arcade games and i bought that version of Gran Turismo because it had the Nordschleife :)

Even the version we have now in rf2, bless the guy whom made it, is frigging awesome because its rf2 and rf2 rocks :)
    And it can only get better.

But it takes huge effort. after all these years i know every turn like the back of my pants so for me its all about attacking the track like we do with normal tracks. once i load it up and take a few turns i just cant stop myself anymore. This track has got everything.

We used to have a Nordschleife event in every championship we organised in RF1 but the numbers decreased graduately. the task was just too daunting for people, some would join in anyways because of the championship, others would skip it and we had to take it off the schedule.
    And we organise an annual Nordschleife event on top of that but even that one is likely to be skipped for the first time this year, we simply cannot get enough members to join in. big dissapontment for me of course, and the few other maniaks.

One of the reasons we added this event to our schedules was in an attempt to slowly make them comfourtable with the track and let them experience that point where things become fun instead of just frustrating, it never happened :-(

Anyways, its an acquired taste i guess, you do have to put the effort in and be patience with yerself, there's loads and loads of laps to be done before it starts to make sense. It might never start to make sense and then i would just stay well away from it and save yourself the agony, but once it does makes sense there is not much out there that can be compared.

/end bias reporting

:p

1 person likes this.
  11. Martin Keets

Martin Keets Registered

GT5 still has the best version IMO. Especially with the weather and day/night cycles. Take a road car around the ring on GT5 and it's very hard not to fall in love with the track..I could lap it all day!
    It's a real drivers track, I too once hated it but now I love it regardless of the sim I use to drive it.

12. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

With the Nordschleife, it is definatelly NOT like with every other track. It's not like going out with friends from time to time. Everything is easy and everyone just have fun. With the Ring, it's like you met a girl once you think is an interesting person. You feel something but still not fully understand, why and what is that... but yet you want to try.
    Then, you take a few deeper approaches and you mostly failed... but even though you didn't succeed, it is definatelly not over yet. She gives you another chance and hell, you feel she says: "take it easy, stranger. Calm down and try again once more!"
    ...and so you are trying, harder and harder, yet you still don't fully understand why, and have no idea, how it ends.

Eventually, you feel it's getting better and better. You are much more comfortable now, more relaxed and getting even more into that weird relationship. You still sometimes wondering "what the hell am I doing?" but you like that and want more of it and after even more time spent with her you finally realise, it is just pure love and you can't live without each other to the point it becomes an addiction :D
    That's what Nordschleife is :)

And you know what the best part of that? The real track is even more beautiful and rewarding!!

Oh, and one more thing. If you want to learn the track well, practice on the GTR: Evo conversion for rF 1 as it is better than the Nor/Com8 version.

EDIT:
    I mean, how one may not love it? That's @ Adenauer Forst:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2013
  13. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

It took me hours and hours and hours to learn it.
    One tip: take a slow car that is easy to drive. Don't start with a 500hp beast that brakes out on the slightest error.

While waiting to get a proper version in rF2 and if you have GSC2012: http://www.racedepartment.com/2012/11/gsc-2012-nurburgring-nordschleife-v2-0-released/

There are also some good rF1 versions out there > check rfactorcentral.
    Norschleife in rF1 with HistorX is just fantastic. I don't consider it to be a good online racing track.
    Once you know the track, it's however a very good one to learn a new car....

The track won't change a lot... the time spent in rf1 or GSC2012 won't be lost...

14. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Thanks to all for the very thoughtful and articulate responses. I am going to put this track toward the top of my list and probably start with Historix 911R or GSC mini how that I am crazy about that. Thanks again all!!!!

15. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Here's another post you can report!

*edit... couldn't resist

16. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Good girls go to Paradise, bad girls go everywhere :D:D (dont resist, go for it :D)

17. vittorio

vittorio Registered

"call in sick and spend an entire day with it" isn't enough for nordschleife, weeks would be more appropriate. But as a former poster wrote, after some point practicing it feels better and is more fun with every lap, and then you are addicted :)

(RF2+Nordschleife is my favorite topic and i wanted to write a lot more but the attitude of a former poster ruined this thread me, thank you sir!)

18. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

When I first started driving the Nordschleife, I was watching this video for hours and hours literally. Hans-Joachim "Striezel" Stuck is the great grandmaster of the green hell. Even though this video is pretty old it will not help with the version we have in rFactor2. It's just not the same track and feels entirely different. I don't like it very much myself.
    There used to be a version of this video where the man is commenting how to drive each turn etc. but I couldn't find it.

Still, the video is always worth watching.
    Please take notice, he's doing all this with a H-shifter!

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2GtYYGJHw38[/video]

Now that I've watched it again after a few years, I remember how much this has helped me. It's basically been my training video when I was pretty new to sim racing games. Ah, the memories! ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2013
  19. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Amazing video!

20. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered