So, Triple Screen or Projector?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by taufikp, Jan 4, 2013.

1. MaxLt

MaxLt Registered

I am using a projector set up in a light and sound proof room. Very realistic. The big issue is that most projectors, actually alomost all, have pretty high lag - 25-80ms is not unusual. That makes is much more difficult to drive, especially on tighter tracks.

2. Pits

Pits Registered

Personally I couldn't use the projector, I have tried mine a few ways, it's to much, lap times went south. I did the wrap around and my head did explode, you can have to much input.
    The best setup I've experienced is my friends 45" 3D TV, just outstanding and it makes 3 screens look very average.
    I noted that in COD the rifle would be all the way out of the screen with the end touching the screen, flying games are insane and having the cockpit seemingly wrap around you is amazing.

3. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Can you share details? Screen, projector, rig?

4. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Interesting indeed.

What is short throw projectors? And do we need a special software to flip the projected pictures? Do we still need warping software, can't we use just all the video outputs from the video card?

5. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

You need warping software till laser projectors arrive.
    Short throw projectors have special expencive lenses but you can do without with the software (I think)

6. MaxLt

MaxLt Registered

Sure - 100" 16x10 DaLite HiPower Screen (very much recommend - works quite well even with some external light) and JVC DLA RS25 projector (do not recommend for gaiming - a bit too laggy). I can match the proportions of the road to the view out of a real car in open-wheelers and in some tin-tops (some are just weird no matter what I do), although the steering wheel looks out of place still (bigger than the real one). The rig is something I got on ebay based on recommendations on this forum, but there is nothing special about it.

I started sim-racing to help me memorize layouts of real tracks, so big screen was essential to make sure the peripheral vision is working at least a bit, or at least it was my theory, so that the memorization of visual experience translate more directly to real track. It worked for me - after practicing Watkins Glen, I was rather quick the first time I was there for real.

7. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Ill check your details, thank you!

8. Steve Watts

Steve Watts Registered

Hi,

I have run a 1920x1080 projector, 2560 x 1600 monitor and now run 120hz tripple screens. Projectors give a realistic perspective but I prefer the tripples - in my opinion the image quality is better and the aspect ratio provides more peripheral vision, it depends on what is most important to you.

9. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

there's something i dont understand: if you use a projector with 1920*1080 you dont see more than with a 24'' screen? its just bigger or am i missing something? i choose the tripple setup to get higher horizontal resolution to be able to look into the apex and see my oppenents next to me.( besides the speed feeling you get the side window look)

10. Reprobator

Reprobator Registered

Aspect ratio doesn't mean anything in fact, the more important is :
    The size of the picture/projection and your distance to each side of the width of it.
    If you stand at 1m from your two setup :

You should have bigger fov with 5 m of screen in 1920*1080 than a 3m 5760*1080 if you want to keep it scaled.
    It is true for any aspectratio even 4/3

It is exactly like looking through windows.

my projector setup have a bigger fov than my triple screen setup but has bigger screen space so when you sit in the racing chair you don't have any fov deformation.

11. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

what fov do you use on your 2 setups? i have difficulties to see how you you can get the horizontal angle with a 3 times lower resolution.

12. emilblixt

emilblixt Registered

You guys with projectors; dont you get severe pixelation sitting so close to a 1080p image? I have 3x27" at the moment and was thinking about trying projection but I'm concerned about image quality with just 1/3 of my current resolution.

13. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

With 3 projectors that are 1080p and doing some alignment to make sure everything is lined up properly, you get the same look as you would from 3 monitors. The big difference is that with 3 projectors you don't have the bezels in the middle of your display.

As to pixelation of the image, it depends on how large you are making the image. If you use projectors to cast images that are equivalent to 27" monitors, the image should look pretty much identical with good projectors. The advantage of the projector is that you are not limited to that 27" size. If you wish to have 45" size for each, you can do so and the end result will be nearly identical to the same image at 27".

14. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I think the title should be "So, Triple Screen, Projector or Head Mounted Device".

Well, currently there is no good and affordable HMD available, but i count on the Oculus Rift Developer Device (and later upgrade the display with a higher resolution one)

I will go this way :)

15. Rocksor

Rocksor Registered

Hi,
    I wanted to go for a one projector setup similar to the one in the first post. But I didn't think that projector have that much input lag. My TV screen also has a high input lag and when i tried an arcade racing game with keyboard on it, it was undrivable! And thats not what I want to spend such a lot of money for.

So do you have any suggestion which projectors can be recommended? Is there a projector type that is better than others? Any hint would help.

Thanks

16. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

BenQ W 1100 is highly recommended for gaming, and under 1000 euros.

17. emilblixt

emilblixt Registered

Low input lag?

18. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

19. Rocksor

Rocksor Registered

Thank you very much. I had been thinking of the littel cheaper benQ W1060. I found a test of this projector that measured an input lag of only 14,9ms wich seems not too bad. Do you have more detailed information on the lag of the W1100? Could not find informations on the net.
    But I found another test ofd the LCD Screen I'm using at the moment. Aparrently it has an Input lag of 15,35 measured in average...

20. taufikp

taufikp Registered