Please sign my petition for ISI to include a realistic clutch option in rFactor 2

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Guy Moulton, Jan 4, 2013.

1. argo0

argo0 Registered

I should add that I'm ok with this, I trust them

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I remember having a debate with you in my room long after petition about not being able to join a room without requiring all content.

I said that was flawed because sooner or later a combo would come up you never had and you would get kicked anyway.

You never agreed, we talked about for ages that night then never again.

Lets leave it at that. ;)

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/3146-Remove-rFmod-Petition

Anyway I held my cool as long as I could waited for 25 pages. lool ;)

Anyways my point was petitions, and here is another .................

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yes, more than one

4. RaceDoedel

RaceDoedel Registered

Yesterday I was on a public server with Cameros at Mills.

I was surprised about the lap times the others could drive. So I watched how they drive.
    Shifting from 6 gear to 1 gear without any probs. Fast shifting like hell.

I can't do that. I was on many many track days with some real cars. I crashed twice my clutch and once a gear box.
    That was so expensive that I learned to avoid that.

This kind of driving is now in my brains firmware. Even in a sim I can only drive in the real way.
    Ok, other people are fast because rf2 allows it.

ISI stated that their only inspiration is the reality and not other sims. So dear ISI devs: Jump into a real car on a track day and try
    out how much torque a real clutch or gear box can handle.

So again: +1 for a realistic gear box handling.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  5. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Agree 100% plus ridiculous setups, left foot braking to rotate etc. etc. And people will say just rev match like they could do that IRL when they've never even driven a real car. Happens in rF1 also which is why I drive offline only although I recently won my first online race in over a year but wasn't ranked so meaningless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

People drive with a ridiculous range of aptitude and a ridiculous range in controllers.

Add to that anyone has a PC does not run rF2 95% fluid in all conditions or even exceed their bandwidths limits by joining a room with too many cars on 512kb

All this can cause sub driving, consistency, braking, reactions, etc etc
    You would not begrudge anyone endures the lower range left foot braking surely.

The best pro are as fast or faster then best aids users in most circumstance anyways.

Whether you offline, League or open room you are free to select conditions that suit you. ;)

If none meet your satisfaction make your own the way you want, like I did for F3 Rookie Training, rather then Offline 100%.

;)

7. aguy0523

aguy0523 Registered

YES!! I can't stand when people use a fault in the drive train to brake quicker, yet argue about physics and no TC/ABS aids.

Crashing 5 gears down and the motor/clutch/gearbox are going to blow up.

8. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

DD, yeah I'm talking about people driving 60s F1 like go kart.

Not the only reason I drive offline, though. As good a reason as any is being able to select combos. [/OT]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

But I don't understand how it's flawed. If you don't choose to download a track then of course you can't race and will get kicked out. Then, you have to manually download it or, if the server uses auto-downloads (AKA getmod), it'll automatically download for you. I don't see the logic in not employing such a system other then for technical limitations of the software.

+1

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2015
  10. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I am one of those guys without the H-shifter installed but unless I'm "subconsciously" racing hard, I often find myself shifting semi-auto style. I'd like to see something implemented, maybe like Assetto Corsa, to slow down the semi-auto shifting of those of us driving clutch+shifter cars as if they were 1992 F1 cars. It is not fair to those who do it "properly" and to those who would love to do it that way, but don't as to not be at a disadvantage during a league race.

11. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

12. TJones

TJones Registered

New transmission model was mentioned at first by ISI, with the release of the Howston's G4/G6 more than two years ago.
    Look's like it had pretty low priority in the past.
    I sign the petition.
    I hope in this connection they also implement flexing (like in IRacing) and this little gap between power-coast, you have usually due to manufacturing tolerances.

13. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

What we need is a shifter that will grind and won't go into gear unless you clutch properly. Kind of a "force feedback shifter" I guess you could call it. Would be wonderful!

And I agree completely. What's the point of having a clutch pedal if you don't even need to use it? With ISI cars I never even have to take my foot off the throttle to upshift and only have to blip to downshift (some modders have done better though). And to "launch" from a standstill I can just hit the gas and throw it in first. No clutch needed. Ever.

It's rf2's one BIG downfall when it comes to realism...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2015
  14. elbo

elbo Registered

15. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

even modern cars when you match the revs with your throttle you dont actually need to use clutch.. one of many driving techniques used in some american series. Its basically like with 50s 60s cargo trucks.. rev match to be able to change gear. So there should be a way how to change gear with no clutch.. but if you fail at matching the revs, you should get the grind ye

16. skipgamer

skipgamer Registered

Not even modern cars, I'd do this in my 1977 Lancer!!! For those who don't know next time you're driving a manual IRL, put some pressure on the gear stick between like 3rd and 4th, then slowly increase/decrease the revs (i could only get it to work between vertical aligned gears on the H-shifter but my brother could slip them sideways even, I imagine it's even easier with a sequential shifter), eventually when the revs are right it'll just click right in. Without some kind of mechanical+software limiting effect on the shifter it's just about impossible to simulate correctly however. And it obviously places more strain on the synchromesh .

Some of the new young V8Supercar drivers rev-match and left foot brake, can't remember which though, just remember seeing it on TV (I really don't watch much) and the commentators were split on whether it was a respectful or disrespectful technique because it damages the car if not done absolutely perfectly. So the people saying it's an unrealistic online-only technique are just entirely incorrect.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2016
  17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

It's very difficult to do a race when downshifting and not using the clutch. You have to be very precise on every downshift. You need to really be good and experienced to do it consistently. I saw (and heard) quite a few cars break because of people trying to do this, more often with upshifts though (more people try doing it with upshifts than with downshifts) but it did happen with the few guys who would try doing it with downshifts. It's very risky at-least in the F1600s, F2000s, etc. I have experience with.

It's definitely possible though but even the instructors and top-class drivers would use the clutch on downshifts as they are very skilled and can apply pressure and come off the brake exactly how they want to with the other side of their foot not affecting brake pressure/movement one bit. They only skipped using the clutch on upshifts as it's much easier, much less risky (still risky though) and gained them time.

18. Minibull

Minibull Member

Clutch cable broke on my bike in town, had to get it home without the clutch. Easy with a sequential box haha.

19. Carra

Carra Registered

20. Rik

Rik Registered