Please sign my petition for ISI to include a realistic clutch option in rFactor 2

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Guy Moulton, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Isarmann

Isarmann Registered

Hey, everybody...

When I first tried the clutch, and saw how rapid the action is, I was also disappointed... But, I also presumed that the current state of the clutch is just where it is right now--- not how it will be forever. I did try to do what I could in the controller settings, making that pedal 200% sensitive... this works somewhat because it flattens the top part of the curve, right up there where you want more pedal movement to equal less in-game input (to make the clutch's friction point broader). It does help, but only a very little.

Well, I recently skinned the Lola, and having to make the template for it as I go, I have been in and out of the game many, many times to look at the skin. Since I have to pull it out of the garage to see it well on the track I favor for this, every time I basically pull out, step on the clutch and hold the brake, and manipulate the swingman view. So, I'm doing this, and I started letting off the clutch v e r y little... I mean little. Basically just "tapping it on the stop", if you will. And lo! I see the RPM's drop a hair and the car starts moving! So I found the friction point, and with the sensitivity set high like that, it's not an entirely bad length of pedal throw--- but it's way too "deep" in the pedal to ever feel real. In fact, the more the spring action of your pedals feels real, the more "in the wrong place" the friction point feels.

And then I found the key.

In your pedal settings, push your clutch all the way down, and back off of it as slowly and precisely as you can, until you are at the VERY spot you wish the friction point would start. Hold it there, and click the "set max" button. You will see that now "the very end of the range" (where that friction point is) is now right where you set it to be... and the 200% curve is at its very flattest (in fact, it's even flatter than it was) right through the friction point!

How well does it work? If this doesn't catch your attention, I don't know what will:

I can pull away in that Lola, without revving the engine... in second gear!

Give it a try. It may not be perfect, but it's a lot better.

2. jackvee

jackvee Registered

I have a mustang GT 5.0 with a 5 speed gearbox and a BMW M3 with a six speed gearbox I would def love and always use a real feeling clutch.

3. BULIT

BULIT Registered

4. Helldriver

Helldriver Registered

Thanks a lot man, that worked very well and shifting feels much more realistic now.:D

5. rer8

rer8 Registered

Just did this... seems to me this "clutch adjustment" will get the job done.

Good job, Isarmann!

6. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

This 'fix' shouldn't be necessary in the first place, I'm sure this entire thing will be properly fixed when they have the time to do so.

7. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

+1 for realistic clutch

8. Rob Berry

Rob Berry Registered

9. clevytr6

clevytr6 Registered

Gear crunch / missed gear. vote. +1

10. jackvee

jackvee Registered

I have enjoyed rFactor since the very beginning. I love the physics and handling in rFactor 2. But the one thing that annoys me so much. No one seems to care about. No matter what manual transmission i drive 4, 5 or six speed gearbox. the clutch is only needed to get out of first gear? Why? No one seems to mind how unrealistic this is except me. If rFactor 2 is to simulate real world driving. Missing a gear is a big part of racing. I don't understand why this seemingly simple task of having a more realistic clutch has not been corrected or even addressed. I'm not asking for advanced clutch wear (although that would also be amizing) . I just want to know when I did not clutch properly and missed a gear. As it stands now I am a shifting GOD. In reality I am not. lol Any responses anyone? Seems like a simple plugin could address this.

11. argo0

argo0 Registered

Tons of us would love this, and feel it let's RF2 down a lot by not having it. However, ISI follow their own path and there seems to be no way of affecting that from our point of view

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

12. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Please sign my petition for ISI to include a realistic clutch option in rFact...

+1 regarding OP

13. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

2 years later... Come on. I can shift any car without the clutch, just by lifting, bliping the throttle.

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Pearce beat me to it. lool

Seriously you guys, you don't give up. hehehe

When someone starts a "What would be nice in RF3" thread they get villifed ? accused of
    thinking rF2 is not good enough and not being satisfied with it. ................ wt lol

When actually what you do here says exactly that, that you are not happy with rF2 and you don't want anyone to think of the future.

Hypocrites.

lol ;)

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Hey !

Lets revive the old ............ " Petition to get rid of mod system and go back to the Old rFactor Ways " .....we can get some more signatures !@!

I know who you all are. lol ;) all those people bashed the system without even understanding it.

Spinelli was one. lol

That had to be about the dimmest move I have ever seen by a bunch of so called enthusiasts

16. Axeslayer

Axeslayer Registered

Being able to just instantly drop 2 gears going flat out at full throttle in a 60's F1 car and the only effect is the car starts to gently slow is just wrong .

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

You're completely wrong...

I never, ever wanted the old RF1 system back. Why would I or anyone not want auto downloads?

The only thing that has to be changed - and ISI were on their way to pursuing that change with the prototype style server option - is not only forcing the server/admin to pre-select their list of tracks, but forcing every player to have to have every single track on that list if they want to be able to join. That is obviously completely illogical and completely pointless and therefore it must be the result of some current technical limitation with the software/coding.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2015
  18. RaceDoedel

RaceDoedel Registered

+1 for the clutch thing.

Has ISI ever fulfilled one wish of this sub-forum "Wish Lists" ?

19. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

As far as I'm aware of a new drive train model is in the works. There is no reason to revive this thread. (I mean, it will not make the development faster.)

20. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

You get a +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk