CPU a bit hotter since the last update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ProTraX, Jan 1, 2013.

1. ProTraX

ProTraX Registered

Hello and Happy new year fellas!

Since the last update (or maybe the second last, i can't really remember), my CPU gets a bit hotter while racing, maybe 4°C more.
    Before the update i had temperatures around 41-42°C while racing on max settings (all on max, AA etc...)
    After the update, my CPU got 4 or 5°C hotter while racing in the same settings. The temperatures are now around 45-47°C.
    Well, the temperatures are good and doesnt hurt my CPU, but i really wonder why it got hotter since this update. I really have no problems with that.

I'm using a AMD Phenom II X6 1045T @ 3400 MHz (exact PC specs should be in my profile)
    My GPU temps are the same and still pretty cool 57-59°C

As i said, i really have no problem with that, but i want to know what they did change in the last 2 updates to make my CPU 4-5°C hotter on the same settings?

And also, if you experience the same problem, please post your temps before and the temps after the update(s) and your CPU name.

Please no flaming or spam.

Peace and love is the key :cool:

Regards, and i wish you a great new year!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2013
  2. Minibull

Minibull Member

What have your ambient temps been like? If the air temp is 10deg hotter, you may notice higher temps all round, obviously.

In terms of the game....they have shifted a bit more computation to the CPU? New background features of some sort? Better shadow management? I dunno lol.

3. ProTraX

ProTraX Registered

The air temp is pretty much the same since 2 or more months. Dont know the exact temp in my room, maybe 20°C or a bit more.

4. Armando

Armando Registered

Have you noticed an increase in FPS?
    If your graphics card is now able to show more images per second, your CPU will surely have to work harder. Basically, you would have to check if your CPU load is now higher.

5. ProTraX

ProTraX Registered

FPS was increased some months ago but the CPU was 4°C cooler as now. No increasements since the last 2 updates for me...
    I didnt check the CPU load at all, but will do today.

I guess the pink bar is my CPU usage, because the green bar always was on 100%
    The Pink bar never was over 50% in 40 minutes of playing.

[​IMG]

I had 90-105 fps all the time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2013
  6. Armando

Armando Registered

Both bars represent CPU usage, the green one for graphics thread and the pink one for physics thread.
    If the CPU load is the same, maybe the system temperature has increased. Have you checked other temperatures?

7. ProTraX

ProTraX Registered

Yes i have. My other temperatures are still the same. Only the CPU temp has changed.
    Maybe any Dev could post in this thread please?

8. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I haven't noticed anything. Have you tried the obvious and clean the dust out of your tower and cpu cooler?

9. ProTraX

ProTraX Registered

Yep, every month :p

10. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Pink bar probably is also higher than few updates ago?

I have my suspicisons that something in code has changed and causes more physics thread load in some conditions, which conditions I have not been able to isolate yet. It can be something else too, but that is what I suspect that might be cause. Still until proven can't say it being really change in code.

Your cpu heating can be of course completely unrelated to that, impossible to know for sure until the next build, I believe :)

11. ProTraX

ProTraX Registered

I'm not sure. I never checked these bars, just found out that this tool is existing today :D

12. joedeath332

joedeath332 Registered

slightly off topic here , but what is the car in the screenshot :)

Thanks

13. ProTraX

ProTraX Registered

14. joedeath332

joedeath332 Registered

Ah thanks for the fast reply ,,will have to try that out :)

15. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Hi ProTraX,
    have you changed your gfx driver settings? I have some strange behaviour when i change the pre rendered frames in Nvidia control panel. If pre rendered frames is set to "1" my cpu load (i5 2500k @4.2Ghz) is around 20-25% in game. When i set pre rendered frames to a value greater than 1 the cpu load goes up to 80-85% in game. The performance (fps) will increase by only 5% so i leave the setting at 1 because it makes no sense in my eyes to burn 50 watt for a 3 fps gain.

16. ProTraX

ProTraX Registered

Nope, i didnt change anything on my PC. And its only rF2 where i get a hotter CPU...

17. jtbo

jtbo Registered

That is interesting, I have to do some testing as weather is now getting colder (no more snow bending trees over power cables, so I actually have electricity reliably again, yay! )

18. Tosch

Tosch Registered

So you live in a country where electricity is for free or does your Mum pay your bills?:rolleyes:

19. jtbo

jtbo Registered

No, I live in country which still at 2013 has no reliable powerlines. Our powerlines run middle of forests and when it snows trees fell over powerlines, whenever there is snow storm or temperature rises so that snow that fells is heavy and wet, we get blackouts usually completely random and can be 5min to 12 hours, also can be more than 30 in a day, so there is no hope of using any other computer than a laptop despite having UPS.

When weather gets cold problem is bit less, can be even a day without blackouts, but usually at least one short one every other day, but UPS takes care of that.

In our world's best country we also regularly have no meat at shop, one has to know which day go to shop to get meat. Well, mostly rural area issues, our cities are different country I think :p

1 person likes this.
  20. smithaz

smithaz Registered

I think rF seems to use all 4 cores for me now whereas it used to use only 2. I haven't double checked so maybe wrong but it could explain increased temps maybe.