Questions before getting rFactor2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eamorris, Dec 29, 2012.

1. eamorris

eamorris Registered

Hi everyone, this is my first post on here and I have some questions before purchasing rFactor 2. My first question is, and sorry if I overlooked this info somewhere, how exactly does rFactor work? I know there's the trial version and you can purchase the game afterwards but does that include all available tracks, cars, etc? Are there subscription fees like iRacing has? Do I have to purchase extra tracks and cars? These are the two sims that I'm currently contemplating. I'd like to get all this information before making a purchase of a game and a wheel and pedals which leads me to my next question.

Which wheel would you guys recommend? Right now I'm looking at the Logitech g27 and Fanatec 911 GT3 RS V2 bundle. I'm leaning towards the Fanatec because of the CSR-E pedals with the load cell brake and I've read the FFB is smoother with the Fanatec. I'd also like to have the sequential shifter. My hangups though are that the Logitech might have a better build quality and their customer support is much better. I've read that Fanatecs quality control might not be the greatest so I'm looking for personal reviews with each setup. My only real virtual racing experience is countless hours on Forza 3 and 4 but I will be making the switch to PC to get the full sim experience. Any help is much appreciated.

2. Nige

Nige Registered

Hi Eamorris, I'll try answer your questions best I can, anyone else can chip in and correct if Im wrong.

First one : Prchasing of the game has two options, one a lifetime (this allows you access to online for lifetime) the other is a 12 month/yearly fee which you would have to pay to keep access for playing online. Both purchases includes cars,tracks etc you dont have to pay for a car or track separately when ISI releases a new MOD/Track, I doubt they will ever go this route. Just check the downloads link then you can see what MOD's and tracks are available at the moment. And since its still beta if you purchase it but dont like it you can get a refund longest its within the first two months of buying rfactor 2.

Secondly : I have a standard G27 at the moment and works fine but from reading around I hear the Fanatec is better for rFactor 2. I've only really had Logitech steering wheels so someone else with more experience on that can help with steering wheels :)

Hope this helps.

3. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Rfactor works like a standalone game.. Currently its in beta (has been around 10 months now) with releases and updates around a month.

You pay for the game and play offline with any car / mod you download, then you pay for online access - you can pay yearly .. or lifetime.. Most people just paid for lifetime as with both game purchase and the lifetime membership it was still cheaper than most PC games.

For this you get all ISI content (Game offline - everything, Licence to play online). Currently Formula Renault, F2's, Clio Cup cars, Meganes, Nissan 370z & GTR, and some content shortly of GT cars.. Likely more to come aswell. There is also around 8 tracks currently that ISI have out with more coming.

Now the story with RFactor & RF2 is that the game is "open"... it allows the community to make their own cars and tracks and put them straight into the game (Its like open source).. so for example with RFactor their is thousands of tracks, and cars... and as RFactor 2 progresses there will be the same. Currently there is another 8 great tracks already released by the community and heaps more average tracks... but you get the idea.. as people make content for the game and release it free you can play it.

The online racing is not like I-Racing.. people around the world run their own servers and their own leauges and set whatever race rules they like for their leugue.. there is a lot of very professional leauges out there in all countries.. They run seasons on a certain mod (Cars)... with a select sereies of tracks... normally nominated before the season.. and you turn up on the given night and race.
    You can also logon at anytime online and go to a public server and race, but you will need to have downloaded whatever car/mod they are running on that public server.

I-Raciing is different where its all controlled by I-Racing, so its often just click an play and theres always a competative race to join.. The downside with I-Racing is you continue to pay forever and pay for all new content.. Where RF is free. Also i have found if you join an RF league in your country you have a much tighter community - get to know those people as you race with them every week.. you can get the same in I-Racing, but i find as your racing different people often, its not quite as close nit.

One other point RF has no licence testing.. so if their is wreckers on the track.. they arent penalised.. unless a admin is online and kicks them.. I-Racing on the other hand will take licence points off and limit them for racing poorly.

Summary

RF - once off buy fee & licence for online.. all content and user made content..public servers or join private league, and download mods and tracks required for server/league.. Lots of content forever expanding - community made

I-Racing - Pay ongoing for all content and for each bit of new content ... Races all day any day.. Less content released regularly but normally consistent quality as made by i-racing team.

A lot of people play both games.. some of the guys in our league do.. Most prefer the FFB in RF2, some prefer I-Racing.. personally i think RF2 feels way better on FFB, but thats my opinion.. And i also like to build tracks.. (Which i cant do in I-Racing).. so i play RF and RF2.

I run a G25 on RF2.. i love it.. i have used my mates fanatec and it feels awesome. but for paying 2x as much as my g25.. i would expect it to do so.. depends on how much cash you have.

1 person likes this.
  4. eamorris

eamorris Registered

Thanks for the info so far guys. I think I'll be getting the Fanatec wheel as I hope the 2 year warranty will suffice for any issues I might encounter and it sounds like it's my best bet for both games. I also think I'm leaning towards rfactor right now as it may be hard to justify paying for iracing while I'm still going to college. From the videos I've watched and the reading it done it sounds like they're both very similar in terms of gameplay and graphics right now. Any other opinions are definitely appreciated.

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

First; There is NOT a free trial, or any trial of rFactor2. There is a trial of rFactor1, which is a different product. :)

rFactor2 is a product not yet released, but if you pre-purchase it now, you get access to it while in development, which is what you can download from this forum. This includes all the tracks and cars which we (ISI) want to test, and have released on this forum. When you pre-purchase, you get the software after development is finished, you get access to it now, and you get all the cars, tracks, addons and content ISI will release for it in the future (for no extra fee).

I use a T500 RS, I like it a lot. I previously used a couple of Fanatec wheels, and I like them, too.

There is a two month limit on getting a refund for rFactor2 if you decide it isn't something you want to wait for/keep.

6. Minibull

Minibull Member

Should I...should I read into this...while reading between the lines...while stroking a beard I don't have? XD

7. eamorris

eamorris Registered

Thank you for this information. I just ordered my GT3 from Fanatec and as soon as I get it I will definitely be grabbing rFactor. Hopefully it will be sometime this week.

8. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Deffinetly a beltdriven wheel is the way to go, and rFactor2 brings it to its best potential. Best ffb and physics I have ever seen in a sim racer.
    Let us know how it turns out :)