ATI and Nvidia

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by SCampbell, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

Say whaaaat?

2. taufikp

taufikp Registered

AMD has released 13.1 WHQL driver. It fixes the ugly frame-time high latency for their Radeon cards.

Full report: http://techreport.com/news/24231/catalyst-13-1-graphics-drivers-are-out

Change Log (number based on AMD tests for HD7000 series cards):
    Enhanced performance in Far Cry 3 (up to 25% with 8xMSAA, SSAO enabled @ 1600p, and up to 15% with 8xMSAA, HDAO enabled @1600p) (AMD Catalyst 12.11 CAP2 must also be installed)
    Enhanced AMD CrossFire™ scaling performance in Call of Duty Black Ops 2
    Up to 10%-15% more performance in Battlefield 3 in most cases
    More than 20% in certain missions and sequences (Comrades)
    Up to 7% more performance in Metro 2033
    Up to 10% more performance in DiRT Showdown
    Up to 8% more performance in Sleeping Dogs
    Up to 12% more performance in Civilization V
    Up to 10% more performance in StarCraft II
    Up to 8% more performance in Sniper Elite: V2
    Up to 5% more performance in Max Payne 3

3. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Holy ****.....

Is this ON-TOP of the performance gains we have seen from the 12.11 beta drivers? or just that 13.1 is the "made official" drivers of 12.11 beta?

4. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Most likely it will give you smoother animation (and possibly higher FPS as well), since the high frame-time latency is fixed now. As reported in my thread GeForce vs Radeon Captured In High Speed Video. :)

Edit:
    Oops sorry, this version (13.1 WHQL) does not include the latency fix yet. Get the 13.2 beta version instead, it contains the more important frame-time latency fix.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2013
  5. MJP

MJP Registered

The so called 'latency fix' in the 13.2 beta only applies to the 3 DX9 based games that gave trouble in the TR test, the tweaks seem to be on a per application basis. There was already a rewrite of the software memory manager in the pipeline which was also going to address issues for DX10/11 games, seems it'll only apply to the 7000 series though.

6. taufikp

taufikp Registered

If I recalled my memory correctly, AMD does planning to release CAP updates after fixing its driver's basic problem, to fix the frame-time latency per application. If this really is the case, then rFactor 2 will be in trouble, IMO, since AMD has no support for rF2 yet.

7. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Tim has mentioned in the past that AMD has told them that rF2 was responsible for making things work with their drivers, not the other way around. This might change in the future, but we will have to wait and see.

8. Favio

Favio Registered

Hi guys, need a hand, I was thinking about change my 6870 ... and don't know if I will buy AMD or Nvidia. I was always a user of Nvidia but I've decided to change sometime ago to AMD, I'm happy with the gfx performance but I heard a lot about the poor support of driver and the sttutering problems with AMD, is this going to change in future? :p
    Now this is my question, which has better price/performance AMD or Nvidia... and which is the best model?. Money is not a problem, but if I can spend less and have a better relation price/performance I'll go for it...
    What do you think?, 670?, 680?, 7870?, 7970?, 7990? ...

9. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

Stuttering is already solved with the beta 13.2 driver, there is already a thread about this in these forums.
    7870 is pretty good in the price/performance and so is 660 TI. But since you already got a 6870 I don't think it is worth to replace it with cards that are not that much faster. But if you say money is not a problem then why not go for the best?

10. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

When it comes to best bang for the buck, I always refer folks to toms hardware. They do unbiased reviews and the information that they provide is invaluable when it comes time to start shopping around.

In that regard, here is a link to what you are asking: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-6.html

BTW, if you actually read the review you will see that the monster GTX 690 performs like a pair of GTX 680's at about twice the cost. Given that information, if you have the slots available, it would be less expensive to get a pair of HD 7970's running in crossfire and you would have the same performance or more.

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

13.2 is just the beginning of this latency thing, AMD also said that improvements are coming to the drivers so that they will generally affect games all around rather than game specific. Plus, I always see improvements in games that AMD have never said they worked on improving, these driver fixes usually have a knock on affect and affect many games, not just the specific games themselves.

Ppl have already reported smoother gameplay with games other than the 3 that were specifically targeted by AMD with the 13.2 beta.

12. Favio

Favio Registered

Totally agree, so I'm thinking right. I see only worth going for a 690 or two 7970 (as Gearjammer said is the best option), but I have only one slot for gfx card, then the CF with the 7970s is out.
    And the 690 seems too expensive right now, I have the money but don't want to burn it lol
    I think I'll wait and see what happens to the market in a few months.
    Thanks for the information guys!.

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

No way, 2 7950/gtx 660 ti/gtx 670 is a wayyyyyy better deal than 2 7970/gtx 680s. You pay such a premium because they are the top models.

Get a new motherboard you won't regret it :)

I guess with only 1 slot you can get the gtx 690 or there are 2 or 3 versions of the "7990" you can check out, but both of em are horribly overpriced compared to 2 7950s/660 tis/670s

14. Favio

Favio Registered

Truth... It's a good place to slowly begin my pc update :)

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

If you have money to burn you could always wait for ivy bridge-e to come out, should be soon.

16. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I was about to call you out on that Spinelli until I noticed the e at the end, whew, glad I caught that at the last minute, hehe. The Ivy Bridge-E should be a nice addition to the CPU market, especially if you hold out for the 12 core ones. ;)

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Haha EEEEEEEEEEEE ;)