Damage Suggestions (number of debris parts, fixable debris & deformable suspension)

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by moseisly, Dec 28, 2012.

1. moseisly

moseisly Registered

INCREASE NUMBER OF PARTS/DEBRIS
    I've gotten pretty good damage for formula cars in rfactor 1 by using all 12 parts/debris allocated to break off by the game engine that provide the most visual feel of a damage. My only wish is that this limit of 12 would be lifted or increased. I know having a big crash in a large grid would mean A LOT OF flying parts but on high end machines this most likely won't be a problem and by all means the default can remain 12 but if it's not a game breaker to increase this limit and allow those who wish to have more parts, to be able to do so. Realistically, I believe having up to 20 or 24 parts that can break off is good enough.

front wing main plate, 2 end plates, 2 winglets = 5 parts
    2 rear wing end plates, top plate, 2 bottom winglets, main column = 6 parts
    2 side pod winglets = 2 parts
    nose cone, antenna, t-cam = 3 parts

that's about 16 parts and add some more aero pieces and you get around 20 that results very realistic looking damage when you calibrate the values well :) and spectacular crashes.

ALLOW DEBRIS/PARTS TO BE FIXED IN PITS
    This would be required if you had front wing lose end plates or winglets. Currently you would get a new main plate in my mod but if you had end plate missing it would remain missing because that piece is defined as debris :(. So if this could be fixed somehow.

SUSPENSION RODS
    If there was way to get suspension rods to deform or bend? Not as important but would be nice..

PARTS HIERARCHY (suggested by Ales Ogrinc)
    Ah one more option would be good like on front wings if you have it whit diferent parts and the main holding parts breakes away, than others should do.
    I remember years back when i did some testing whit gp4 cars in rf1 nose cone broke away but the wing stayed on like in air.
    Maybe a tree like system would have to be coded into gen files for that. Would probably work but it would take a hit on fps i guess.

PARTS TO SHOW IN COCKPIT (suggested by Ales Ogrinc)
    Plus it would be good to have an option for debris parts to show up in cockpit view to. Right now only some parts how up in cockpit.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2012
  2. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

I'd say, even more than 20-24 would be good. For road cars, it's not that difficult to utilize 20 parts as detachable. 30-40 though should be enough for most cases.

3. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

An option for that would be good but it can overload youre memory. Whit each part you need to add lods and whit 12 parts you allready have to do few of them, than you can calculate how much would that be overall on 20+ cars...
    But yeah and option to add more of them than we have now wouldnt hurt.

Plus it would be good to have an option for debris parts to show up in cockpit view to. Right now only some parts how up in cockpit.

4. moseisly

moseisly Registered

I never made LOD-s for the debris/parts. In formula cars case they're mostly aero pieces and are not that poly dense anyways. But I guess for road cars some pieces you might have to if they are poly dense. In the end they disappear after certain time and you're not adding more polys to game, it's just detaching group of polys from the car. So I don't think LOD-s would be an issue.

5. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

Yeah in formula cars there is not so much of problem but for closed cars it could be. Option to add more debris files would for sure be good, atleast i missed out atleast 2 for my cars and the show in cockpit options im hoping to be added.
    Ah one more option would be good like on front wings if you have it whit diferent parts and the main holding parts breakes away, than others should do.
    I remember years back when i did some testing whit gp4 cars in rf1 nose cone broke away but the wing stayed on like in air.
    Maybe a tree like system would have to be coded into gen files for that. Would probably work but it would take a hit on fps i guess.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2012
  6. moseisly

moseisly Registered

Oh I forgot that, too! For me, the rear wing top plate would sometimes remain while rest of rear wing had fallen off :D. I've tried to counter that by finding a good damage base area value and multipliers but it can still happen here and there if the damage hit point is far enough from that part yet it takes out the main part.