Frustrated. How to install mods?????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aidylad, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

For some laps in Skip at Croft you need to install the Skip Barber Formula 2000 mod by ISI

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/1396-Downloads

and Croft

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/2974-Croft-Circuit-UK-WIP

then you can use All Tracks & Cars to run some laps
    (remember to filter the opponents allowing Skip only)

ATM ISI is releasing mods as rfmods (and with some dependances between mods) because the goal is to test all the availble materials.
    So a good thing to do is to install (and update) all the ISI mods.

Later, cars and tracks will be released as components, so to avoid the install of all the contents.

2. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Everything is in the downloads thread stuck at the top of this forum. You should have all of it during testing.

It's really quite simple. Put those files into the packages directory wherever you told the installer to place data. Run rF2 launcher, go to manage mods, and right click to install, right click again to update.

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Not if people actually give him an answer to his issues, which is that he doesn't have the stock ISI content yet. Telling him to uncheck things, etc, isn't step 1. Step 1 is to install the ISI content being referenced.

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Pain will go away no medication needed. :)

I got to say no one really explained it properly though.

Download 2 torrents, 1 for all ISI and 1 for all Add on Tracks, place all files in Packages.

*** DONT download the OLD track version torrent.
    Everyone should be directed to use the LATEST versions only.
    Abriel finally took my PM advice that he rejected for 6 months and split the track torrent.

Run Mod Manager

Click on all CAR packages one at a time from the first to last in list
    Go back through them and install all car updates.

Now Untick "Show Mods Only"

Install every track in the list and the extra sound for Indianapolis ( down bottom )

That is it ...( foc ) .......5 minutes you have completed a FULL rF2 install. p

You cant do that with rFactor or any other sim I know of.

pCARS is one click yes ......but it takes 5 times as long.

6. Tripp

Tripp Registered

i did install build 134 today and added mod tracks in packages what i wonder what tracks and mods comes with build 134 ??
    seems when i open modmanager after install just the build 134 that i have mods and tracks in the game
    then i add tracks and more mods in C:\Users\Trippa\Documents\RF2\Packages so i have all rfcom and updates of mods but in game it not regognize the updates im stucked at V.1.0 on all mods not sp good when online servers use for exapmle 1960 f1 mod v.1.1
    anyway i have here
    so how fix this start over with build 1.07 ? and add update after update ?
    rFactor2 Content Inventory @ dec 27 2012 23:57:29 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mod "-IsR-LolaT280-Test-Tracks2 1.02" references a non-existent component "LOLAT280 1.0".
    Mod "-IsR-LolaT280-Test-Tracks2 1.02" references a non-existent component "LOLAT280_Sound 1.0".
    Mod "-IsR-LolaT280-Test-Tracks2 1.02" references a non-existent component "LolaT280_talent 1.0".
    Mod "LOLAT280_PIXSIM 1.0" references a non-existent component "MonteCarlo1966 1.1".
    i use windows 7
    Mod "T280 Historic Tracks 1.0" references a non-existent component "MonteCarlo1966 1.1".
    Mod "1960s World Class Racing 1.0" failed to verify, removed from inventory
    Mod "Formula Renault 3.5 1.0" failed to verify, removed from inventory
    Mod "Renault Megane Trophy 1.0" failed to verify, removed from inventory
    Mod "1960s World Class Racing 1.1" is an update to a non-existent base mod, removed from inventory.
    Mod "Formula Renault 3.5 1.1" is an update to a non-existent base mod, removed from inventory.
    Mod "Renault Megane Trophy 1.1" is an update to a non-existent base mod, removed from inventory.
    so wierd i have all tracks but not MonteCarlo1966 1.1 i have MonteCarlo1966 1.0 and can not install the lola mod
    they most crazy stuff is that i not can upgrade the mods to v1.1 ?? ? i use windows 7

7. Domi

Domi Registered

I'm tired to explain all the process to a bunch of new users, friends etc, and they all come to the same conclusion; the current system is bad and makes no sense. A game must be easy to use, and rFactor 2 is really far from being easy for the random player. Not everybody will come to the forum to ask why their mods aren't working, and who knows, maybe some of them will just uninstall the game and go to other sims.

If you need all ISI mods, just put them on the installer, and one problem less...

8. Bram

Bram Registered

Amen, its horrible to keep trying to explain the same process over and over again even to average and even experienced rFactor users. Newbies are completely lost how to install modifications as its way too hard.

9. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Well, just install ALL ISI content and THEN install mods people...

If you have problems, uninstall game and start fresh with proper order!
    First ISI content, check that it works ok, THEN mods, this is the way to go atm.

10. Domi

Domi Registered

I'm sure the random user prefers to do 1 click and wait more than having to figure out how to install a mod, or why his mod isn't working, etc.

iRacing, SRW, pCars, rFactor's SimSync ... come on, everybody goes for the "Install everything with one click". And they don't have annoying questions on the forums, because it simply works.

11. Magzire

Magzire Registered

Agreed.. atm its a big ball of mess. I couldn't think of a harder way to get this game running, but ISI manage to pull it off. What was wrong with the old way?

12. taufikp

taufikp Registered

On the plus side, once you get all the stuff installed and running well, it's quite easy to update things now. :)

13. lespaul20

lespaul20 Registered

Having a Mod Store/Marketplace in place of the mod manager would be useful to alleviate any qualms about installing mods. I have no trouble installing mods but I would like an ISI maintained repository for both official and unofficial RF2 mods rather than links on webpages(forums or otherwise.) The mobile OS platforms seems to have made this concept work well and I think making mods synonymous as apps could work just as well.

14. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Careful what you wish for ISI is listening :D

15. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

ISI if you are listening make an API for all the actions in the mod manager so we can mod that too, for example create a different program interface to better guide new players into what needs to be done (mod has an update - install it, some content is not installed, reasons why you cannot install it, etc).

PS: Same goes also for the MAS2 tool.

16. Nibo

Nibo Registered

I came here today to open a new (100th) thread about this, and see this one, so I write here.

I am admin at autosim.ru league. Just yesterday we where explaining to newbie who just bought rF2 why he can not install some mods (because of dependencies on other mod) and why he can not see .rfcmp in manager by default. Everybody in our community sees this new mods system as more complicated and not needed in a first place, everybody writes "I wish they make things an easy way, like it is in rF1!". As for admin, I wrote on this forum many times, it makes my life harder not easier.

The most important bit: there were 2-3 people in my admin experience with rF1 championships, that constantly were having mismatches with rF1. This people where not technical, did not know how to unzip archive properly, how windows file system works. They made wrong paths, double paths etc. We were helping them by remote connection with radmin tool or step-by-step guides. This new system changes nothing for them, they still will not be able to unzip mods in a proper packages folder, they will confuse .rfcmp and .rfmod, virtual mods an not virtual mods, all this stuff with which now every second guy at a forum has questions about.

I remember Gjon wrote that every car and track should be released as a component. I thought that that must be written somewhere in a big letters, because its the most important thing for now. But just 3 days ago new (and I must say fantastic) mod Lola T280 was released and what did I read? - IMPORTANT, you need to have installed the 6 following tracks! Why? Why should I have them??? This is nonsense. And people where not able to install this Lola, because they had Mid-Ohio v1.9 but Lola was packaged with v1.91. So now people have Mid-Ohio v1.9 and v1.91 in their rF2. But can not remove v1.9 because other mods depend on it! Gjon, Tim, don`t you see where this going? What growing mess will it be with every new mod?

New system must go or be changed radically, thats still my opinion after first year. Please, at least remove ability to tie tracks and cars together and add ability to race offline without selecting all cars and tracks.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  17. LowRider

LowRider Registered

18. Andreas67

Andreas67 Registered

19. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

im on teamspeak atm trying to explain to 10 people why we cant quickly swap to a different track with our cars of choice even though we all have the track installed...not fun

20. Neuro

Neuro Registered

I am also a league admin so I can't say more than...

+1 to Nibo