F2 backflips at Lime Rock!

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Chosa, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Chosa

Chosa Registered

Driving RF2 on Lime Rock-no chicane with the FIA Formula 2, I found a very strange behave of this car...

When the road climbs up to top of the hill, full throttle, the f2 rears up or backflip like the Audi at Le Mans (also when the car is in the air behaves quite unrealistic)...the only way is to lift up a bit before...the "jump"

I tried various combination of wing and bump-rebound settings but it but it happens in any case...

However you can see that effect on this video (0'29):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIqmKhlNMgg

Is that realistic?

2. kiko0602

kiko0602 Registered

yes it is!!
    even gt class cars dont race without chicane.faster cars use chicane when race on LRP.

3. marc512

marc512 Registered

Hey chosa thanks for posting my video :p yes it is realistic. It is because the lack off downforce. If you take all the downforce on the back, the back end lifts up and spins you out and the front stays planted on the floor.

My rF2 setup is 2 clicks down on rear downforce, and softest suspension at front. Helps keeps the nose down :)

Happens in every car :) The ISI cars with good balance, you can take it nearly flat out.

4. Chosa

Chosa Registered

Perhaps the lack off downforce is reproduced in a slightly exagerated, I don't know, but I've never see a modern formula flying like this, or better, not so easy.

Watching it on iracing with the williams fw31, we can see that the effect isn't the same:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdi-FqkWvZE

I've never played iracing, so I don't know how much realistic it could be, but however the car seem to react in another way to the hill.

Maybe we should try lime rock with the ISI F. Master...

5. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

If you keep a car like the F2 floored over that spot you're going to have problems. This is a reason why there is a chicane there. Faster cars that use lime rock will use that layout.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

correct!!

If you want to run LRP with those cars you'll have to use the uphill chicane or just LIFT before cresting. You'll still catch some air though. :p

Once the nose of a modern formula car becomes airborne they are in trouble. Plenty of examples of that on youtube.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2012
  7. brook

brook Registered

8. Rocksor

Rocksor Registered

@chosa: have a closer look at the iracing video you posted. The driver isnt flooring the car up the hill as well.

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The F1 car also uses more groundeffects than the F2, which is effectively a board. Try walking into strong wind carrying a board of wood. :)