Racing Car Setup Guide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taufikp, Dec 25, 2012.

1. taufikp

taufikp Registered

2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

thanks taufikp

3. JGraf

JGraf Registered

4. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2012
  5. taufikp

taufikp Registered

6. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Building Stable Setup - David Cater

Interesting video on making stable setup for a NASCAR car. It's for iRacing though, but still, the basic understanding of car setup is applicable to any sim IMO.

7. taufikp

taufikp Registered

you're welcome mate :)

8. taufikp

taufikp Registered

9. taufikp

taufikp Registered

10. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

I think ron jeremy change his name. Anyway, i must confess that my biggest frustration with sim racing games comes to how to setup a car.

11. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Me too. When I looked at Motec, I feel lost, what should I do with all these nicely presented data? I just understand few of them, not enough to set the car up properly IMO. :D

12. DocJones

DocJones Registered

I read quite a few over the years. The best overall (that is available on the web) and a good starting point imo is the Série Internationale Du Mans Setup Guide. Especially the part on dampers is highly recommended.

1 person likes this.
  13. lespaul20

lespaul20 Registered

This is where tool tips in the garage would be beneficial. I know it's been mentioned before but this is what made NR2003 so easy to get a acceptable setup. It would be cool if this was car based where the tool tip data was a part of the cars data files. But I'd be happy with just a generic blip about that adjustment.

BTW, Thanks for the links. I think this info is sticky worthy.

14. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I wouldn't get too hung up on setup for road racing. Set it up so it's balanced for your driving style. Here's a video that might pique your interest in the basics. Some basic knowledge goes far.

For me some of the default setups in rF2 are too aggressive. Nissan gtr for example feels like an alien setup to me. I always start by softening the springs in that car for more mechanical grip. Also adding a touch of rear toe helps get the power down on exit easier.

Edit: You can fast forward the video to 1.50.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2012
  15. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

That is a really good one. I don't recall ever seeing it before. Full of great information.
    My transformation to ALIEN begins;)

16. taufikp

taufikp Registered

17. taufikp

taufikp Registered

18. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Taufik, just for the record, i choose one aspect of setup (brakes) and start with Lola on Sebring testing values (only in garage, not during lap) and lap times.
    Fuel for 10 laps and 19 AI to rubbering the track. All ais are visible (good to know distances and brake points - not ever) but set my car to not destroy and go to track.
    After that change transfer wieght a lit bit to front or back (a lot in the first time to realize what the setting is doing with car and if fits what i think its the right brake point if possible with that setup, withou messing with no other values until i understand quite right what is changing in car behaviour). Takes time but i´m finding this very cool.
    I´m using interactive setup guide that Jgraf posted.
    Thanks.

ps: who is cleverleyson?
    ps2: my back hurts for the tension when i made a good lap. Thanks god i don´t have a motion simulator. >:

19. taufikp

taufikp Registered

SLuis, I found that testing the setup for a particular car in a particular track is almost as fun as driving it and getting a better lap time than with previous setup. Takes time indeed, but the result is worth the hours spent isn't it? :D

20. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

A lot of time and that strange feeling when you give up to drive all others tracks and cars available.
    It´s hard to stay on one particular car of one particular track because i think all sim racers trust in his ability at driving and want to show that in a race (on or off line) where the most part of fun happens.
    But to be competitive on line and with Ais at least at 100% strenght, only the presumed ability its is not enough.
    I´m conscious that setting up brakes weight transfer at this conditions, with that car in this particular track only will work for that especific conditions, but learning how the setup works i can adapt to any car an observe how they react and use to correct responses or setting up to my driving style with other cars.
    I know its only the first steps (and probably at least one year i think to start to understand all settings acting together) but i´m there is a setup thread to do the dirt work and go online or just drive new circuits, with good or bad setup, always you will fighting with some one in same level. There always a competition. For the first time among all racing games i have played, now i think its worth to learn. I blame triple screens, Lola T280, Nvidia for gtx 680, and the recent updates in rF2 for that.
    I agree with someone who suggest servers with the same setup just to compare how people manage same car not suit to his driving style or with more grip , but i´m not put this in wish list. And you know why: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...nd-wheel-reset?p=126465&viewfull=1#post126465

lol

write too much, sorry for the english.