Changing Steering Wheel Sensitivity Can Make You A Better Driver?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taufikp, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Hectari

Hectari Registered

I've now tested steering rates of 1% and 100% and there is absolutely no difference on my G25.

How did you come to the conclusions of your test? Who is 'we' and what wheels were found to make use of steering rate?
    Just coming in and saying this is wrong and we did this and it is right doesn't really get us anywhere, people reading this thread will only be confused. I was confused but i now know steering rate makes no difference to me so i can disregard it.

Yes DrR1pper thanks for clarifying :eek: i meant anything that is a 1 button per direction input as being digital. I'll refer to my wheel as a digital-analogue replicator from now on ;)

EDIT:
    Oh and i just did a quick test with keyboard and steering rate at 1 & 100%. I suggest you try it for a laugh! (i've found steering rate to change how fast the wheel turns when a one button digital input is used)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2013
  2. JGraf

JGraf Registered

Steering Rate is for steering with buttons, like keyboard, it has no effect on a wheel.

3. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Perhaps I mismatch with another option in rF that manage the linearity of the wheel :(

4. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Yes and Ackermann steering geometry has it's effect too so for example when starting to turn left from center then the left wheel's turning speed is accelerating. However right wheel's turning speed is decelerating (and if turned far enough starts to accelerate after reaching "apex" or 0 degrees. Like this:

[​IMG]
    (original image at http://yantrix.wordpress.com/tag/power-steering/)

5. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

^ Neat animation for demonstration there!

6. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

And for things not being too simple Wiki says:

"Some race cars use reverse Ackermann geometry to compensate for the large difference in slip angle between the inner and outer front tyres while cornering at high speed. The use of such geometry helps reduce tyre temperatures during high-speed cornering but compromises performance in low speed maneuvers."

:)

7. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

8. Karoly Mayer

Karoly Mayer Registered

Logitech Profiler

MOMO FFB Black here. There is a Logitech Profiler software I have, see below. Does anybody know and use this?
    View attachment 5746
    Also possible to adjust sensitivity. Default is 50%.
    With this I cannot get a right steering feeling. To compensate this I used ingame 15-20% Sensitivity (Skippy). If I put this higher (40-50%) I cannot get good laptimes and no smooth steering there. (I dont talk about 85-100% at all).
    The thread is very interesting for me, because Im quite sure my gap (2-3s to best laps) will be caused by sensitivity problems.
    Any comment to this?

9. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

I never knew this and never tried it. I will experiment with it tonight when I get home from work.

10. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Seems I'm wrong on this.

11. Hectari

Hectari Registered

What degrees of rotation do you have set in game? Your wheel has 270? Set to 270 in game, de-selecting vehicle set if it is green in game settings if not already, it should match what is set in the profiler/default for that wheel. Then change steering sensitivity to 85-100%(<-in-game, the 50% default in profiler should be fine for your wheel)(if you can't use near linear setting for this in-game, something is very wrong, or your wheel is from another planet lol).

Go to garage settings and lower steering lock, i used to use 330 degrees for every car and lowered each cars lock considerably to give the right feel(clio down to around 17.5 or 18.5 and F2(modern) around about 12). Lowering the lock you should aim to keep around the same steering ratio as a guide. This makes a huge difference in driveability for those with less degrees of movement.

Work this out by taking the default car set degrees of rotation, divide by 2, then divide by default steering lock. This gives steering ratio, then you need to divide your degrees of rotation by 2 and divide this by the steering ratio you just found out to get the lock to use that gives same steering ratio as the default.

Skip for example: 407 is default car set degrees of rotation, divide by 2 to get 203.5 divided by 19.4(default lock) gives 10.49

270 divided by 2 gives 135, divide this by 10.49 and it comes out to 12.9 steering lock. With this steering lock it will be much smoother to drive with lower degrees of rotation.

This might not be any help but it is what springs to mind when someone is having trouble with a wheel that has a lower range of motion. It sounds like you have something set wrong that is throwing everything off.

Having ffb set wrongly can make cars handle horribly in turns. Use pedal overlay http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/7546-rF2-Pedal-Overlay-Plugin to make sure ffb is not saturated and clipping forces, a range of different forces will all feel the same if it is and essentially makes the ffb very numb. It's the yellow bar, i set my ffb so that it is never full or lower it a bit more for some cars for a nice feel. Hope this helps you, it took me a while before i had 330 degrees running very nice, im now just using default for each car again.

12. Karoly Mayer

Karoly Mayer Registered

Hectari, I appriciate your detailed infos. Ive learned from it. :)
    Well, my wheel is a 240 deg one, if im not wrong. I use 270 deg under settings/controls.
    If I keep 50% sensitivity in the profiler and put the ingame steering sensitivity 85-100%, my car will be hard to steer. Possible, aber far worst than with a sensitivity of 20-30%.
    Do you use speed sensitivity? Mine is between 25-45%.
    I checked the ffb issue as well, there in no prob, I have a smooth ffb with 0.7x and 8-11 smoothing.
    Sometimes I think I have to invest a G27.

13. Hectari

Hectari Registered

No speed sensitivity for me, mine is at 0%. Tried it before and it was horrible, didn't think anyone used it, maybe that is causing problems?

Wheels can be a real headache to figure out settings for!

14. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

I wouldn't recommend a G27,I have one myself.
    It has a 'center' problem.
    It's caused by one motor stopping at near center when going from one side to the other.
    You can feel it in flip flops and chicanes.

It's a known 'problem',Logitech could maybe release a firmware update that stops this issue but I don't think they want to.

15. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Edit: Keep the sensivity in your logitech profiler at 50% I believe that is linear.

As far as sensitivity in game you might have to play with it a bit to find out what works for you. In your case I would say you turn off "vehicle set" in the controller options and just manually put 240 degrees. Then play with your in game sensitivity to find what works best for you.

A DFGT is an excellent low budget wheel btw. You don't have to get a g27. I've heard many owners of both who actually prefer the DFGT.

I agree with Hectari, turn off speed sensitive steering.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2013
  16. Karoly Mayer

Karoly Mayer Registered

Hectari, meanwhile I understood the way you suggested. To Clio works perfect, I have lower the steering lock to bottom, then I have a smooth drive.
    But in case of Skip Barber the math looks like this: 407:2:19,4 = 10,48 -> 270:2:10,48=12,88 for steering lock. Setting the sensitivity betw. 85-90% I have some steering problem in the straights at high speed (eg. finding the right apex in the last corner at Lime Rock Park is difficult.)
    The dilemma is: setting the sensitivity lower (20-30%) gives good steering in straights but the wheel will react heavily in cornering situation (oversteering because of parabolic characteristics of steering). By setting a V-shaped sensitivity (85-100%) will make steering linear, so cornering much better, but on the other hand hard to steer in straights (finding the right apex at entering the corner).
    I have to refine further but I made a big step forward regrading competitive setup for my steering device. Thanks guys! :cool:

17. Karoly Mayer

Karoly Mayer Registered

OK, Ill try with 0% speed sensitivity, see you on the track!

18. Karoly Mayer

Karoly Mayer Registered

Thanks for hinting DFGT, its a half price solution, so I will consider. Meanwhile I did some laps with no speed sensitivity. I have to admit, it was wrong with adjusting the speed sensitivity to avoid this steering issue above. Now I have a better feeling of racing, but this must be practiced now. After a few laps I experienced a more competitiv racing, less mistakes.
    Thanks guys again!

19. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I don't think you can really go wrong with DFGT, I rather like it myself/