Weird looking black ghost shadows

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Jorgen, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

With a clean install of build 134 I'm seeing black shadows on the ground when I'm driving. They pop in and out at random and they look different from the TV cam, the cockpit and the nose cam. Also, the real shadows now "fade" in at extremely short range, about 10 meters in front of the vehicle. The draw distance was much further before. Anyone else seeing the same?

Screenshot

These black things are making it almost impossible to drive, so I hope there is some way to fix them.

Settings:
    Shadows: Full
    Shadow blur: 2 (optimal)

EDIT: Just tested various shadow blur settings, including off, but it made no difference at all. The regular shadows "kick in" abruptly now, and at very close range in the cockpit view. Not nearly as close in the TV cam or nose cam though.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2012
  2. tjc

tjc Registered

Mmm... interesting track... :)

3. BerJupiler

BerJupiler Registered

I have the same problem when i enable FXAA, when turned off the black shadow disappear, refer image below:

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

When i disable FXAA, HDR only cars go transparent:

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Mij settings:

rfactor2: All maxed out.

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 570
    Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.121119-1606)

4. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Hehe, yeah, it's another conversion I'm working on. :)

5. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Interesting. I don't have FXAA enabled though, only HDR. I'll try enabling FXAA and disabling it again to see it it helps.

EDIT: FXAA on or off had no effect at all in my case.
    Observation: The ghost shadows only appear in the vicinity of objects set as ShadowCaster or ShadowObject in the scene file, and they look like real shadows, but drawn in a very incorrect location or something, plus they are solid black in color.

6. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Just tested on Portugal and it's the same problem there. (Only worse, probably because the number of shadow casters is much higher) Unfortunately it makes the game close to unplayable, so unless it can be fixed by changing some settings, I will have to revert to build 125 which does not have these issues.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Jorgen, I've had those 'shadows' before, in 125 (at Malaysia, plus 3rd-party tracks), I reset all my video settings and they disappeared.

8. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

I did a clean install of 134, so I'm not sure what setting could cause this? I just reverted to a clean 125 install and everything looks perfect again. The cockpit shadow draw distance is back too. I am going to try an update through the launcher instead and see if that helps, but that will have to be tomorrow.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sorry, can't remember exactly what I did... hence my vague description... but I had those shadow things every time I went on any track, then changed... er... something... which probably rebuilt whatever and they disappeared... jeez I love being specific ;)

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

We've had this, but I don't think we could nail it down. I've told them about this thread.

11. BigDuke6

BigDuke6 Registered

I had this happen to me one time in the previous build (125).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Only way I could get rid of it was to set Shadow Blur back to "Quality".

Hasn't done it since.

12. DerKutscher

DerKutscher Registered

13. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

I have never seen this before, and I have had the exact same settings for quite a few builds. Same video driver settings and in-game video settings as before too. I hope you can pinpoint what is causing it. Thanks for passing it along Tim!

14. Joe Campana

Joe Campana Registered

I have not seen this happen in all of our testing. Could be a problem with the shader cache - even though you are doing an uninstall then reinstall, the uninstaller doesnt delete the shader cache. You should try to find it and delete it manually if necessary. Located in UserData\Log\Shaders, either in the same dir as rF2 or in your_user_name\My Documents, just delete the entire Shaders dir.

15. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

I removed the entire content in the rFactor2 folder before installing, so that can't be the problem. I'm going to try a clean install again, including a new player file, and see if the problem persists. My ghost shadows look exactly like those in DerKutscher's screenshots btw.

16. tjc

tjc Registered

The little black squares seen on the track walls etc I`ve only seen when I turn HDR off... when I turn it back on they no longer show up.

I`ve never seen the big black sections on the track surface no matter if HDR is on or off...

17. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

When I had it, with the ATI card, it moved when I moved the camera, and actually seemed to be distance related. adjusting zoom could also affect it, oddly.

18. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Had exactly the same in the previous build (Nvidia GTX275, same location at LRP). Switch the shadow blur seems a possible solution, because in earlier builds this would force the engine to rebuild the shaders. I prefer the way to delete the shader cache like Joe mentioned to make sure all old stuff is removed.
    The other possible solution is to switch off bloom in hdr profile. I did a lot of experiments with bloom settings and there are sometimes strange results like white dots in an area that should be complete black.

19. jtbo

jtbo Registered

This is what I have had at night I believe.

Seem to happen even cleared shader cache.

Running LRP in dev mode for this test, I did set longitude and latitude different 64 and 27, time central european around 4 am, date 22.12.2012.

Same happen in single player mode, setting race start time to 1-2AM and driving to that corner should do it.

My settings during test (as you can see, I did run test in windowed mode):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also found another bug while testing, need to write that up next.

20. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned