AA Black Screen and beyond...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Golanv, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Just picked up my new GPU from the post office, installed it and went to play with the gfx settings since now I can have more pretty and more fps, so I wanted to know how much more.

Well everything was fine and dandy till I started playing with Anti-Aliasing.
    With my previous card I couldnt use AA without turning v-sync on or I got just a black screen with buttons and driver list when I loaded any track to drive.
    I dont like v-sync. (input lag, useless framerate eater etc...)
    Now with this card if I use AA I have to have hdr on or I get black screen. I dont like hdr, it has good things and bad things, and the bad is when its sunny out it makes everything green look too bright and light green, like 80's pants from miami vice, and rest of the stuff that sun hits gets up to neon light bright.

Questions:

I want AA on so I turned ingame AA off and nvidia AA forced on, that didnt give me black screen with or without hdr so technically theres your problem and solution right there, but is that it?
    Also is there hdr profile that can be applied to all tracks with one file, rather than making one for each track, or is this profile mumbo jumbo only for LRP for now?
    HDR in Croft makes the trees all funky with the transparency being all screwy as it seems. Is there something Im missing here, maybe settings from the nvidia control panel concerning AA transparency?
    Why doesnt Tim have a cat?
    If I come up with something else I'll add later.

Then some results that I should prolly post on some of the already existing posts but I'll throw them here for now since Im... here.

Old card nvidia gtx460 1gb:
    Everything else maxed out and turned on, except AA off (FXAA on), hdr off, shadows=medium, shadowblur=off.
    Croft: ~60-110fps depending on traffic.

New card nvidia gtx660 2gb oc:
    Same settings.
    Croft: ~100-160fps
    Turning on things like max shadows and such, no real effect on fps. Didnt try shadowblur.
    Everything maxed and on.
    LPR: ~70-100fps

2. taufikp

taufikp Registered

AFAIK, a good general HDR profile can be used in all tracks without problem.

The problem is, at least for me, I have to copy this general HDR profile into all track folders (under player > settings folder).

Now, when I have 20+ tracks installed, well, you get the idea.

3. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Yeah that just makes it feel little like micro managing. Have the default HDR for all tracks and as LRP has the realistic, and what ever the other one is called, to be track specific. I just dont see why wouldnt they all be for all tracks tho, I mean you get realistic color and light scheme right once, why does it have to be messed with.
    We are at beta so this isnt a complaint, more like food for thought, and Im sure theres alot in ISI's sleeve concerning this matter.
    Mostly Im interested why is AA behaving as it is?

4. zeXav

zeXav Registered

Black screen with buttons and driver list ?
    ALT-TAB => Windows => Return in game => Enjoy

Same problem here and I didn't search another solution than ALT-TAB.

5. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Interesting... do you play in window mode cause I do?

Today no black screen no matter what I do with the settings. I didnt do any alt-tabing which is a nobrainer.
    Are we talking about here the ISI engine having AA issues or nvidia, question remains unanswered.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2012
  6. zeXav

zeXav Registered

Nop, fullscreen (No HDR / GTX 570).

Sometimes no black screen et sometimes I have to do this ALT-Tabing.
    It takes me 2s. That's why I never tried to really solve this problem (and I don't know if I can ^^).

7. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Yeah I meant to throw in after the "nobrainer" that I cant believe I missed that one, but I seem to have missed that one aswell. :rolleyes:
    Since that "fix" is so simple I dont think anything above that is needed, Im just curious.