gearbox problem

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by eddie9, Dec 9, 2012.

1. eddie9

eddie9 Registered

hi champs.i have a problem.i am trying to lay with clutch when i change gears but i can change them and without clutch.
    anyone who can help me?????:confused:

2. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Thats how it is, you can change gears with or without clutch.
    You do need clutch for starting at grid and when you spin out.

3. eddie9

eddie9 Registered

thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2012
  4. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

english language forum here :)
    afaik, no sim has clutch fully implemented, I asked many times why so, I still havent got a reasonable answer :)
    (maybe hardware limitations?)

5. jtbo

jtbo Registered

LFS has had that for years, I think 6-7 years at least? Their model is such that you can overheat the clutch, also box won't let you shift 'wrong' way.

You can still shift without clutch if you do it properly, at least my memory lies me it was like that.

There was bit of complaining when it was introduced, people had to learn how to shift correctly with sequential boxes for example and many did fry their clutches by doing flat shifting and then whined about how they can not exploit missing feature anymore.

6. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Now, why I distinctly remember I could do perfect clutchless changes at LFS with my h-shift?
    Nvm, I am not installing again just to see this.

7. jtbo

jtbo Registered

There is now even NEW version of it (still no new car, or track or physics), go on, you know you want ;)

You had auto clutch on or old version I think, but that is only one I know that has had it pretty good for usage side, maybe simple in simulation side, but that is bit difficult to know.

Oh yes, you can also start a race without clutch in rf, just plenty of revs to engine and shifter to 1st gear while keeping throttle floored, tires will do the slipping instead of clutch and as there are no damage from such it does harm only sim experience.

8. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

I would love it if this was implemented in rFactor 2. At the moment I use my clutch anyway and pretend it is useful

9. Marcel Pfister

Marcel Pfister Registered

Yes would be nice if the gearbox make loud chrrrrschhhhrr sounds or something when you shift wrong and when you often shift wrong the gearbox is damaged. Was it in GTR2 that when you often shift without cloutch the gearbox takes damage? Im not sure if i remember it right.

10. Rocksor

Rocksor Registered

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There won't be a 'proper' solution until FFB shifters become common. And ultimately manual shifting will nearly always be slower than sequential/paddle shifting, and a game can't be completely sure which one you're using (which makes a slower sequential-mode a waste of time) so unless you're more interested in driving properly than racing chances are you wouldn't use the option.