How do you reduce world movement?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by elindok, Dec 4, 2012.

1. elindok

elindok Registered

Like somebody else posted before on the same (but forgotten) topic "it makes me feel sick & dizzy after awhile and I have to stop driving". My experience with RF2 has been a never ending test to see how it compares to other racing sims and though it is fairly good in the FFB and physics department, I find that over and over again I must quit playing after a while because the shaking on the rest of the world as viewed from inside the cockpit is nothing but an unrealistic earthquake like shaking. If this happened in real life every time I drive a car I'd be a happy pedestrian no matter what distance!!
    I know about "Real head motion pluggin" but that does not quite ends the shaking without compromising the car's movement.
    Hope somebody at ISI can do something about this, or at least let us hear about the reason why it has to be this way.

A SLIDER ON THE GUI IS WHAT I WANT. (Didn't mean to be so loud)

2. Traveller

Traveller Member

There is a slider in the GUI, "Head Movement" or similar on the Settings/ Control page. It is to the right of the steering wheel graphic.

3. SVO

SVO Registered

You can also go into the player.ini file and reduce or change the cockpit vibrations to 0. I believe default is 31. I was racing last night before I changed my values. I've had a nasty head cold for a few days so it was all I could take not to hurl before I finally quit and changed settings.

4. Slothman

Slothman Registered

TO be honest. I just usually stop drinking and try to sober up. Once I get to the point where I have to ask the planet to stop so I can get off...its usually enough.....

:p

5. elindok

elindok Registered

Do you mean the player.PLR file? Tried changing all vibrations but those only change the car movement relative to your head,the "world" stays (moves) the same,it is the same as moving the "Head Movement" slider under controls.

6. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Exag. Yaw is default 25%, I set that to 0 and head movement to 0, which makes camera to move with the car, tilt my head and lean into turns then when driving :p

7. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

You can use the plugin created by Sébastien Tixier (magicfr).
    His website for DL: https://sites.google.com/site/mididrumcoverpartner/rfactor2-realheadmotion-plugin/real-head-motion-for-rfactor-2

Here are the forum threads: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/3005-Real-Head-Motion-Plugin-0-1beta
    and later http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/3743-Real-Head-Motion-Plugin-1-0 when he released v1.0 now v1.01

It was converted for rF1 so there is a thread in that forum too: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/5157-RealHeadMotion-1-0

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2012
  8. SVO

SVO Registered

I'm sorry. Yes, I meant plr file. And also what jtbo said. Doing that lessened the effect greatly for me.

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

You would probably have a very difficult time racing racecars in real life then.

Other than not really having the natural ability to "lock" onto an object to keep it, for the most part, relatively centered in your view like you would in real life, the rest of the shaking and vibrating is much worse and chaotic (for the most part) in real life, nevermind rf2.

Geez, here I am thinking RF2 way over-did the toning down of the vibrations and shaking, compared to rf1 and even cpmpared to very very early versions of rf2 beta, yet its STILL too much for some.

You get beat up in race cars, i mean that literally, bruises all over, headbouncing and banging around everywhere, the gauges and the entire car vibrating like crazy, all through you body aswell, to the point where you cant even read the big number on the nose of the car behind you thats filling your mirror, etc.

10. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

The world doesn't shake though in real racing cars, the cars and your body do. Given no static racing sim rig can do this then the options are to show the car moving or to shake the view.

For me the world movement approach doesn't work because our eyes are very good shock absorbers. Shake your head up and down and read this - you still can even though you can feel your head moving.

So having a still world and moving car works best for me. The view needs to be how I would see it and simulating me head doesn't work because that is attached to me! Others find they can correlate the shaking world view with the sensations they feel in a real car.

Therefore I think the option to adjust it to suit is correct and there is no right setting.

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

You're obviously right in your points, but so was he I think... Greger Huttu threw up I think, and you often hear (especially at trade shows, where people are running a racing game/sim for the first time in their lives) of motion sickness.

12. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Exactly, and thats why the Real Head Motion Plugin exists:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/3743-Real-Head-Motion-Plugin-1-0

13. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Especially in stereoscopic 3D the default settings for shaking can make you feel sick quickly, luckily there are options in the PLR file. i use these settings to minimise shaking:

rFactor2\UserData\player\player.PLR:
    Cockpit Vibration Mult1="0.00000" // Primary vibration multiplier affects eyepoint position (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit file)
    Cockpit Vibration Freq1="0.00000" // Primary rate of vibration affects eyepoint position (higher framerates allow higher rates)
    Cockpit Vibration Mult2="0.00000" // Secondary vibration multiplier affects eyepoint orientation (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit file)
    Cockpit Vibration Freq2="0.00000" // Secondary rate of vibration affects eyepoint orientation
    Car Vibration Mult1="0.00000" // Vibration multiplier affects cameras attached directly to the car

14. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

Anyone here who has spent any reasonable amount of time in a kart will know that real life is much, much worse than a sim.

In karting, hitting the curbs is often the fastest way through a lap. But the impacts from hitting curbs are so severe that you can completely lose your vision temporarily as your eyes judder, get bucked out your seat, get winded, and lose grip of the wheel.

It is less severe in tin tops, but equally as violent in open wheelers.

We have it very easy! However, the portrayal of vibrations through a screen is not a realistic representation of the above, imo.

15. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

That is why I said there was no right answer ;)

We are all wired differently and how our brain matches what we see up to our inner ear inputs affects us to the point it can't be trained. This is why budding fighter pilots fail to make the grade regardless of dedication and training.

Some of us get motion sickness with physical motion some due to a lack of physical motion to correspond to what we can see happening. Michael Schumacher suffers from a mild form of simulator sickness which is why he can do less training using it. Some of us can deal with a mismatch between visual motion cues and inner ear whilst others just can't. Hence the lack of perfect settings in an environment where the mismatch is huge.

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

If i grabbed your head and rattled the crap out of it I can guarantee you you wouldnt be able to read your screen. Your view rattles and shakes like crazy in real life. Your view isnt so nice, sharp and focused in real life like it is in the sim. I guess it doesnt matter, just play the game and be happwith your own settings is the most important thing, I was just telling you what it's REALLY like in real life.

17. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

In my younger days I did some rallying on rough enough roads that anything not bolted down hard enough fell off and my hands became numb with the vibration from the wheel. I know what it feels like to land after a yump hard enough to break the front suspension. As I recall the world never shook and not for one moment did it feel like it had.

18. Spadge

Spadge Registered

Motion sickness happens when your inner ear and eyes aren't getting the same signals.

Easy way to test this is ... next time you're travelling on a bus or train, close your eyes and imagine you are moving in the opposite direction. You will start to feel queasy quite quickly.

The body reacts like this, I am told, because it assumes you are under the influence of some sort of poison.

19. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Yeah I was feeling quite ill first few time I tried triples but don't even notice now. Was a weird experience though.

20. kmw

kmw Registered

But spinelli, the point is, the HORIZON does not move in real life. I suffer from car sickness when playing these games, but not when I was racing irl. The real head motion plugin cures it, because it sorts out the motion so that the horizon stays still and the car moves, instead of the other way round. :)