Windsheild Dashboard Reflections

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Gilly, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Gilly

Gilly Registered

I find these reflections really distracting are they going to be removed or is there a way to turn them off.

2. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

I agree that they are sometimes distracting (cli especially) and I doubt that they are 100% realistic. (> the reflexions seems to stay the same even if change the seat position).
    Personnally, it think it should be possible to disable them completely... realism is no argument here: you can also disable shadows, hdr etc...

3. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

4. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

I too would like to have the option of having a clear windscreen. In real life reflections on the windscreen do not bother me a bit, in fact I don't even notice them. In games, they annoy the heck out of me and I can't ignore them at all.
    I think it is because in real life our eyes are focused well past the windscreen and thus we don't notice the reflections. We are looking well beyond them. In the game we are looking at a flat image (like looking at a picture) and our eyes are focused on the whole image, not at something with real depth that is a true distance ahead of the car, if that makes sense.

5. Reprobator

Reprobator Registered

i can't drive the megane by night, they seems to be the worst about it.

6. ThoKa

ThoKa Guest

I love the reflections and the dirty look on the windscreen, it really adds a lot to the immersion in my opinion. But it wouldn't hurt anyone to make them optional I think :)

7. Hazi

Hazi Registered

+1 for optional

8. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Nail on the head, please either give me windscreen washers or let me have a clear screen option. A permanently dirty windscreen is a bit silly. Maybe when the wipers work there will be gradual build up of dirt that can be removed? I think Race 07 is the sim that does that and it is a cool addition to the experience.

9. Gilly

Gilly Registered

I have just tried the Clio at night and it is virtually undriveable.

10. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

I am playing in stereoscopic 3D (3D Vision) and in this mode, you do indeed focus beyond the reflection. It is an amazing effect. However, in 2D, its too distracting, so an option would be great so I can turn it on in s3d and off in 2d.

11. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

The glare is on the inside. You would need a rag on a stick.

12. Reprobator

Reprobator Registered

I'm sorry to go in a reverse way of think with you guys but i don't think it should be an option or it should be an option "server wise" wich apply to everyone, because if it isn't it wouldn't be fair.
    The first thing maybe is to balance that effect, make it more subttle a little bit should do the trick.
    and yes having a cleanning windshield option when pitting would be good! amongst animation for pit crew :D

13. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Agree. Very distracting, too strong regarding some cars (Clio, Megane, etc.) and when you set HDR on is worst. The focus remark is right and I guess in 3D it should be amazing. Also, viewing through windshield change a lot the lightning: It's more "clear", more light, washed, and switching to hood camera and you got a darker and more real view. I was hoping a reverse effect here, or no real differences. In my RL car the windshield lower the light lightly to avoid too much sun in eyes, and not the reverse effect ;) Optional could be an option, or soften them a lot...

14. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Didn't mention glare, just dirt...but I guess you were having a joke. Rag on a stick, windscreen washers or a pit girl with a rag. I don't care, I just want a clear windscreen ;)

15. tjc

tjc Registered

Well I`m all for as much realism as possible too and it is good to have the reflections/dirt there as they would be there in real life but the reflections definitely need toned down a good bit and we need working wipers to clean that dirty windscreen.

I hope we can have a real time dirt build up but we also need to be able to clean it off.

16. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Yes, I was having a bit of fun. Although incorrectly called it glare. Seriously though, that is the reflection of light off the dash and back at the driver. It isn't exactly dirt. I too first found it annoying, but eventually focused through it as you would when actually driving a car. It is not something that can be cleaned off. Smooth surfaces tend to reflect things.

17. Reprobator

Reprobator Registered

That and that [​IMG] too!

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Nail on the Head! Reflections currently render nighttime racing impossible for me in Cockpit so I have to go on Hood/Bonnet Cam, I wont mind dirt build up and such but currently the reflections are waaaaaay over done.

19. DavidG

DavidG Registered

I totally agree with this and would actually go further, as I would like to see a ‘no visible windscreens’ option included. I do agree that this should be controllable from the server for multiplayer, but in single player mode we should have full control of features such as this, so that we can play the game the way we want.

20. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

"controllable from the server for multiplayer" > I think it's also important to have a certain consistency in server rules: why having a server rule for windscreeen while people can enable and disable HDR, or drive tripple screens. Windscreen relexions also take some FPS, so wouldn't it be a disadvantage for people with mid range GFX cards? (ie they would loose some fps and maybe get stuttering because of the windscreen...)

One thing is clear: we ALL think it should be an GFX option, if server rules should apply or not might be a decision that goes beyond the windscreen option question.