Too much tire smoke (+ Clio AIs flipping)

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Fabio Pittol, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

Probably reported from earlier builds but worth keep mentioning:

- Too much and/or too early tire smoke. Most noticeable on Clios. (I tried to race the AIs at Lime Rock, but a Drift competitions has less smoke than that. Just couldn't see the the corners :/)
    rFactor2 2012-12-01 20-06-30-40.jpg rFactor2 2012-12-01 20-05-25-18.png

- AI still can't cope with car tending to flip.

2. racechicken

racechicken Registered

not only the clios flipping. i´ve seen that serveral times with the megane and u are right..the smoke is a bit TOOOOO much.

3. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

Looks like bloom. Maybe ISI should add no bloom effect for this kinda stuff.
    Same goes for the mirrors in cockpit view, ive tested few ISI cars and you can barely or even nothing see in them.
    Another problem i see here is the transparent textures still causing problems

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Smoke is a known replay bug.

AI we have to fix, reported again.

5. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

Thanks for the reply, Tim. But that smoke issue happens during the gameplay also. As I mentioned it was almost impossible to race against the AI because I just couldn't see the corners! :cool:

Although I imagine any of the staff guys already gone throught this situation.

6. Reprobator

Reprobator Registered

well a kind of way to avoid it is to set the smoke to follow car's model in the player.plr.
    Too bad is that the smokes sprite are so big because it looks marvelous.

7. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

I also noticed this, I just did a race against AI in the Clios at Limerock, and the smoke in turn one was like getting a blanket thrown across your windshield...... I also noticed cars tires smoking going down a long straight, very odd....

8. 3Dnooblet

3Dnooblet Registered

+1, it happens ingame, not while replay. Impossible to drive in an AI race.

9. jtbo

jtbo Registered

There is too little smoke, yes too much also, both during gameplay.

I did some burnout testing and amount of smoke does not really change too much if I spin rears 40mph or 70mph, however in burnout contests when they spin near 100mph at best amount of smoke is huge, but if you spin relatively slow amount of smoke is small.

So speed of sliding tire surface against surface might need to have more effect, but is this then tied to temperature of tire and up to what temperature smoke amount ramps up?

There can be quite many variables that affect this, maybe something with tires is not yet finished and is affecting that too or maybe it is not tuned to whole range of situations, but just typical race conditions and lockups, either way it appears that min to max ramp up is happening too soon and max is not quite as much as it could be.

Of course also how fast smoke disappears and how fast it expands is something that affects this, there too is some work to be done naturally as smoke can be quite long time there and it expands bit slower, imo, than what I see in sim currently. Takes time and resources of course to adjust properly and with always limited resources might not be most important on priorities list.

Bit difficult to know which part of this classify as bug and which is how it is intended to be.

10. brot

brot Registered

+1

In earlier builds the smoke from AI´s tires was mainly due to a constantly blocked wheel (you could see the tire strip on the road for several hundred meters) and almost only in replays, but now, in build 125 it happens during the race too, and as mentioned also with heavy smoke in corners. I drive Clio and F2, and it happens on all tracks that i´m driving. Pretty annoying.

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It's related to the replay switch. If they had a locked tire when the switch happened (coming from replay, or coming from monitor to you in cockpit), it stays locked. It's a replay related bug, known about.