Should all tracks include reverse option for every track and layout?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kknorpp001, Nov 29, 2012.

1. krulkrul

krulkrul Registered

Historic Spa reverse, make it happen please :)

2. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Yes Rouen! We definitely need that for rF2 historic series. Such a great track and good memories from there even though I once basically lost a fight for national championship (FGPLC3) by crashing into backmarker who had crashed and was waiting me in the middle of the road behind a blind corner. I think I ended upside-down in a position which we used to call "neck-lean" which by the way was quite common back then. ;) Oh those were the days...

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

+1

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yes, there is when a track has never been used in realife that way.

I don't want fantasy simulation, lol

No historic track in the world has,

name one ?

It is artificial in every sense of the word........

Leave the reverse layouts for real rev. circuits. :)

5. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Banking at Monza in Race of two Worlds :)

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

There is always a anomaly that bend the rules, but does that mean it should become the norm.

I want a true simulation, no aids, no fantasy.
    ONE SIM..........
    That's all I ask is that too much. :( lopl
    Like you want all tracks reversed in all sims. lol
    Hardly seems right or fair. p

So fine, you can include that race when you get those cars in rF2.

Then it will not be fantasy, pipe dream la di da

hehehe :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2012
  7. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Im with you, I dont really enjoy fantasy tracks, or reverse, but why ban them if other people do.

8. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

One thing I have observed is that people differ regarding the scope of what is being simulated. For example, you have the accuracy of the track, the accuracy of the mod and the accuracy of the track. But you also have the accuracy of the "race", i.e. the weather, the time of day, the vehicle types and even liveries in the field, the pit strategies, track temperature, fuel consumption, etc. etc. etc.

I personally don't care one bit about how realistic any of this is, probably because I am almost completely ignorant of real life racing as a sport (other than rally) and have never been in a real race car in my life (don't tell anyone ;-)). What's important to me is that the experience is challenging, deep, fun and convincing.

Just thought I'd point this out because I respect those who are looking for the whole enchilada regarding the scope of what is being stimulated. For me? I'll drive an F1 on a go kart track if it's fun LOL.

1 person likes this.
  9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

With 2 versions of a sim you ban nothing.

You have choice then to decide for yourself, AIDS or PRO , REAL or FANTASY ;)

yes yes yes same as aids argument true you can turn them them off and you don't need to install fantasy tracks, all true.
    But that is not the point....it is in the "knowing" ...... it is certainty ........ like iRacing is only example I can think of. ?

Does iracing have any fake reverse tracks or fictional circuits. ?
    I bet a heap of people would like it but ?

So ........why not make 2/4 iRacing versions ?
    one pro one AMA one real one fantasy ?

Obviously I do not believe this will ever happen to rF2, like I not a moron.....just a few spanners loose..........lol weeeeeeeeeeeee :)

10. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

OK. I will give up tracks in reverse, if the SIMULATOR is locked at 100 % damage at all times. Deal?

11. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Perhaps we could force everyone to spend years karting, gaining racing licenses, get sponsorship, then ensure everyone wears a Helmet, fireproof suit and racing booties before they can play RF2. As long as they don't adjust their FFB, use a wheel without adjustable(forced) rotation or borrow setups from other people.

1 person likes this.
  12. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

I think real life tracks that are designed to be run in both directions are fairly rare. I happen to live in a state where we have 3 road courses that actually do this, but there are also a few where it would be extremely unsafe. Still, I think it's pretty cool to do stuff virtually, that you would never do in the real life.

13. Nick Johnston

Nick Johnston Registered

How do you guys know tracks that dont run in reverse with local clubs or regional races? You all look at the big time series to tell which way a track runs, but in reality thats only 2-3 times a year. What about the other weekends the big boys aren't there.

14. 10speed

10speed Registered

Actually it IS interesting. ;)

Most real tracks are driven only in one direction because of security concerns (gravel beds and safety areas).
    Recently there was a report about the new Texas F1 track where it was stated that the direction was changed because of the uphill bit right after start/finish.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2012
  15. ethone

ethone Registered

You don't define a best practice by proclaiming it.

And, no. You're welcome to produce your own AIW if you so desire, but most modern tracks are not designed to be run both ways. Exposed walls/armco is one thing, pit entry/exit, curb placement and even chicane placement are others.

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

A reverse track in a game is just a completely different track all together, you shouldnt think of it it as being at the same physical place but going in a reverse direction, its just a way for our games/sims to have a completely different track, as many tracks but run run in the opposite direction make for VERY VERY good race tracks.

- There is no such thing as mills and toban in real life, does that mean people shouldnt race it, and if they do then it is artificial and is fantasy simulation??

- F1 only races on sundays, does that mean noone should race F1s any other day of the week in racing sims, and if they do then it is artificial and is fantasy simulation??

- ALMS series has never had a race at spa, does that mean having an alms mod race at spa is artificial and is fantasy simulation??

- Many series use different and short version of tracks in real life, does that mean if I use the full version of the track for that same series' mod in the game then it is artificial and is fantasy simulation??

- There is no such thing as Spa 67 anymore, does that mean noone should race it, and if they do then it is artificial and is fantasy simulation???

- If I play 24hrs of lemans, timescaled to last only 2 hrs, does that mean it is artificial and is fantasy simulation???

- In iRacing they do a one make series race with only the Acura/Honda Prototype car, and thats all. Does that mean that is now also artificial and is fantasy simulation???

Of course lots of things we do in these sims is artificial and fantasy simulation, in certain ways, so is having high fovs, adjusting ffb to be more comfortable for you, pressing pause, instant replay etc etc

Many tracks dont run reverse in real life because of reasons such as, safety stuff, run off areas, etc etc etc. Real world problems and issues that dont apply to a video game where all that matters is "put a car on a track and race".

A track in reverse in sims is no different to any other track, some tracks we play never existed at all (mills, toban etc), some did but are now destroyed (old Hockenheim), some still exist but have been massively changed (a1 ring, monza etc). A track in reverse is just another track like so many beautiful tracks out there, no different.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  17. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I will give my opinion as a fantasy track designer and simdriver. Simulation for me goes all around driving as realistically as possible in terms of driving sensation. I don't care if a car or track is real if it looks like real. When in a track the security areas are not present or the kerbs are reversed it does not feel real. I desestimated doing reverse circuits to avoid extra difficulty solving all details and particularities. I agree that when correctly done it is nice since usually it is completely different

18. tjc

tjc Registered

Well first off Durge will answer for himself I`m sure but I think your taking this far too far...

It`s stupid imo to say things like:

That`s taking it too far...

By all means race F1`s every day of the week. I race F1`s when I feel like it but if I`m racing on a real track with a real life car then that`s me simulating what happens in real life so therefor is realistic simulation.

If I race a fantasy car at a fantasy track no matter what time or day of the week, that`s fantasy simulation... imo.

Tbh I`ve never been much of a fan of fantasy tracks/cars in any sim/game... until rf2 came along. There are still only a few I`ve tried (well not that many around yet) but I really enjoy Toban, especially in the 2012 F2. It`s an amazing drive :cool: but is fantasy simulation imo.

Racing tracks in reverse that don`t offer this way of driving in real life is fantasy simulation. By all means, drive as many tracks in reverse as you`d like to... if you like it, fine. I`m not knocking reverse tracks at all but imo doing it that way if it`s not done that way in real life is fantasy simulation.

:)

19. Diavolo

Diavolo Registered

hmmmm ... so after all it seems that this real life video in 10speeds postings shows a fantasy simulation??? :confused:

2 people like this.
  20. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Moral of the story: if I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 apples, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple. Because aliens don't wear hats.