[REL] Zolder Circuit

Discussion in 'Locations' started by wgeuze, Nov 23, 2012.

1. jrg_carrion94

jrg_carrion94 Registered

Looking really good :)

2. WiX

WiX Registered

Its coming along nicely. I am exited.

3. pas74

pas74 Registered

nice work...textures are greats!

4. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Really hyped to see these screen with the new build in effect.

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Yes, looks like excellent texture and colour detail. I love realism :)

6. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Thanks guys, the new system indeed looks a bit better indeed, especially since I didn't bother working on an HDR profile yet. However staring
    at a texture you won't find much improvement, it's the overall color scheme and lighting which has been noticeably improved :)

7. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Crap I lost an entire day this weekend working because I woke up with a headache...

The league which showed interest in this track chose the safe route and went for the older version of Zolder, as would I to be honest, but
    I do think I need to work on the driving side of this track some more. As I'm struggling with time a bit and everything takes a long time,
    it would be nice if there was someone who could work on the AIW with me so I can focus on the visual aspects of the track without
    spending time on AIW stuff.. all in all the later just takes time I'm not really ready to spend but it is necessary. Anyone interested can
    contact me, preferably someone who has experience with this work, including placing camera's and driving lines and maybe more in the
    future :)

The project remains what it is though, just want to speed things up with stuff I don't have to do myself so it won't stay half-assed, driving wise,
    for too long. This way I hope 0.2 Alpha can be actually driven the way it should 9and enjoyed hopefully) and not just be tested for two laps and then never touched
    again :p

tasks:

- Pit positions (are in there for now though)
    - Garage positions
    - Paddock positions for large fields/endurance ?
    - Camera's (TV style!!!)
    - fast AI lines, per car?
    - safetycar line?
    - test the track while you are at it ;)
    - some things I missed probably

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014
  8. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Pit positions: As much as you can
    Garage positions: same as above
    Paddock positions: Much space is always a good thing but the main problem is the space in the pitlane to have separate pit spots for each car. Endurance racers don't like to share their pit spots with other drivers. :D Maybe multiple layouts is a good idea.
    Camera's: There are 4 different cam set's possible. I would divide them into a TV set, a action set (moving cameras), a wide field set (good overview of the racing action) and a static set (good for video capture, good quality, low bandwidth).
    AI lines: The standard fastest path is good for most cars. A path for fwd cars (only Clio atm, Honda makes use of the fastest path because there is no special path set in the talent file) is a good addition.
    Safety car: Makes use of the fastest path but you need left and right path for formation lap.
    Testing: To make a good fast path you need at least 50 laps (per car).
    Other things: Corridors, cut detection, fuel calculation, grid spots, teleport spot, special slow down spot, smooth pit exits and a thousand other things that come into my mind when testing stuff.

I am applying for the job :D

9. baked bean

baked bean Registered

You guys rock, and would make some team :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014
  10. RJames

RJames Registered

Wgeuze, feel free to drop me a msg as I wouldn't mind using the track in some of our leagues so I could put together a test server with a number of guys who give good feedback and information to help you in that area.

Best

Rob

11. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Tosch you have a PM :)

Rob you can always get the latest track, especially if you want to do multiplayer testing. However, at this point this is not
    possible, hence my post earlier. On the other hand, the less I have to worry about AIW stuff, the sooner I can release a 0.2
    which you can actually race :)

12. RJames

RJames Registered

Sorry your right, i really worded it wrong.

We are interested in using the track in leagues once ready. So we would be happy to test any versions out for you while it's being built to aid that process with a few of our guys that are good at giving feedback and info. :)

Best

Rob

13. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Prepping the scene for Tosch, we haven't discussed our plans as we can't seem to catch each other on Skype but I think we soon will, there's always the weekends ;)

[​IMG]

14. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Hey William,

I'm pretty busy atm (laying tiles in my basement :D). Try to catch you this weekend.

btw, pic looks great!

15. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Sweet jesus that was quick haha!

16. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I suppose those tree textures from Tosh have normalmaps :)
    This adds a lot of depth to trees.

I would suggest adding some objects over ground, where trees are (flat circles for example) to generate ambient occlusion under trees :) This would pretty much complete the picture.
    Although I'm pretty sure you thought of that already :)

You're doing great and I really appreciate your attention to all these aspects of visual quality.

17. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

They do, and they work fine as they are now really, the effect diminishes when you get further back though. I might add a spherical normal on top of those but I don't even know if that's already included or not, I just used them as I got them ^^
    (On the other hand, specularity might be 0 right now so any normal map effect will be almost invisible, will check it out later, thanks!)

Sure I can add those shadow objects, just like I will for the guardrails and walls in time but to be honest that is something for later. Even this simple things end up taking lots of time and I'd rather spend that getting work done which can is useful for Tosch :)

I'm as much of a sucker for details as you are I guess ;) Problem is that it is so easy to get lost in a lot of detail, when the base isn't finished enough to warrant this kind of work, but it is so damned fun... Just yesterday I got an idea for grass... I'll really have to put the brakes on that one, so the temp grass texture is going to stick around for a while I'm afraid.

As for the trees, the ones Tosch gave me are meant to be temporary and I plan building my own complete set including fully 3D trees. For now though, really being honest these are great and the question is if I ever get around to building my own set, especially when there are all sorts of objects and buildings still missing from the track ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2014
  18. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

This is actually what I was referring to - by the looks of it it is included :)

Sure thing. Looking at screenshots, I can isolate temporary objects from those made better, so I can see where it's heading :)
    It's a good idea to leave grass for later. Grass is always tricky, so it's best to fit it in later. Besides, having other objects looking good, it will be more motivating to work on grass, to complete the look of track.

I wouldn't bother until you come to the point when it starts to matter. Which means very late in the project :)

19. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Fat chance specular=0 then :)

Motivation is a task all in itself :p

Absolutely ;)

20. Tosch

Tosch Registered

All my trees have normal maps with a sphere as background (or a cone for conifers) and some low and high detail normal maps overlayed. ;)
    The problem is you can't rotate the texture on the billboard (for variation) because it inverts the normal map and the lighting comes from the wrong direction.

[​IMG]