[REL] Zolder Circuit

Discussion in 'Locations' started by wgeuze, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

Re: Zolder WIP

This is it! Got 20 cars. I remember now (too late) it already happened once :confused:
    Thank you for your help.

2. Coanda

Coanda Registered

crashed for me on build 240. Haven't tried reducing the cars as some have suggested.

3. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

Zolder is one of my favorite tracks. Thanks for making this its going to be awesome for sure. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow.

4. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

The road surface at this time is intended to be smooth, it's easier for me to make it more rough down the line than trying to smoothing out a bumpy road :)

5. ZMC888

ZMC888 Registered

On further inspection some of the white lines seem jagged on a few corners, curbs actually very smooth. Lovely the sense of speed from the track surface.

6. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

ZMC88, which ones are you talking about? I know that in turn 2 they look jagged indeed! I have no clue how they came to be that way, I haven't seen them anywhere else though :)

About the curbs, apart from the rumblestrips, the curbs aren't stepped as on most tracks, so that is why they feel smooth, because they are :p I can introduce some steering/road noise on top of them though to make them feel a bit more rough, I'll have to try and feel the result first, it's added on my to-do list.

At this time, I'm working on the track edges and also combined two textures into one :) (track_edges and pitlane_drain into the same)
    After that I think I'm going to model all the terrain in one go. All the walls and guardrails are still lofts, so their shape can be instantly adjusted if the needed is there. Finalizing those will be done when the terrain is more final since they are dependent on that for a correct/final position.

I'm also playing with idea of doing a way smaller track* than Zolder, using the same assets texture wise as a kind of test case leading up to Zolder. For example optimisation and LOD's, trees and stuff. Just letting that float around a bit, maybe it only costs time in an already slow paced project...
    *Already have one in mind, it would be Eurocircuit Valkenswaard which is a really small rallycross track.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2013
  7. ZMC888

ZMC888 Registered

Weguze it's an excellent track, it's in my favorite top 5. Because of its superior layout and the proximity of the trees and road surface it kills places like Palm Beach for pure enjoyment. I'll report back more exactly on the jagged white lines, but maybe it's an ISI bug because they are noticeable in three places for me. I meant that the curbs look visually smooth, nothing to fix!

8. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Small misunderstanding there then ;)

Trees won't make it to the next alpha, but for the one after that I might look into it.

The jagged white lines are on me, that is an easy fix which already is almost done.

9. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

More of them in T2 than I though, almost from kerb to kerb!
    [​IMG]

Looks like I did an operation somewhere with some of these edges still selected, totally weird!

10. MapleHamwich

MapleHamwich Registered

How's the progress coming wgeuze? I'm very much looking forward to the eventual full release. : )

11. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Very slowly, I'm working on the guardrails at the moment and finishing up all the walls are next in line. I just work on the track when I feel like it so I'm afraid it's going to take a while.(As i do this stuff fulltime, motivation can be lacking after office hours)
    When I move to the fun bits, props and stuff, I think speed will pick up a bit again. Right now all the boring stuff just keeps on sitting there, just plain boring really, but on the other hand I want to do a good job building even the boring bits..

12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

There may be others willing to help...if you ask.

13. MapleHamwich

MapleHamwich Registered

No worries about time frames, just excited to hear about progress. If it takes longer to make a better product then that's great. Also, love to see the cooperation of community in the modding scene. : )

14. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

It's a piece for my portfolio, so I won't ask :)

15. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

The guardrails have been textured now, although I'm not very happy with the texture, I did go and proceed with the first walk bridge since I think major cues on the road are important to finish early on as well.
    I know the direction of the project is wavering now and then, but it keeps my motivation up to pick up the things I would like to do, now the road is more or less final. I will try and add more elevation changes later on though, more feedback on that would be quite nice, from people with real life experience at the track.

@Marc Collins
    I do have one favor to ask the community. I know people are eager to drive this track. Soley for that reason, I am willing to get temporary objects onto the track to complete the track feel better at this stage. As time goes by I will replace these with my own assets obviously. For now, as I have little time available, it would be great if someone could send me some simple tree textures which can be used freely without stealing from ISI or something. I can place those relatively easy and it will very likely change the feel of the track quite instantly, it will probably feel like driving a different track altogether. Again, this is just a gesture of good will, I won't keep those trees for example and pass them off as my own, but just an xtree with a material setup would be a good start :)

Anything else which can be contributed would be appreciated by the community if it speeds up a next release I think, but not required by me ;)

edit:
    I'm really looking forward to drive it online some time with people from here ^^

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2013
  16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Great idea. I think feedback from people AFTER you distribute the track will help you perfect it with your own designs and assets. Temporarily borrowing enough stuff to prevent everyone whining, for example, that there are no trees when really you want feedback on elevation changes is sensible!

I predict the more seriously you demonstrate your commitment to eventually finishing this track to a high level, the more others will be willing to share their assets, talent and advice with you.

17. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Small update, more to show that I'm still working :p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Slowly adding in some trees and terrain. The bridges I haven't finished yet but they are in place.
    I used the roads around the track in combination with google earth to guesstimate the terrain.
    The plus side of this, now I have all the roads around the track , I can literally drive round the track : P

18. tjc

tjc Registered

Good stuff wgeuze...

I`ve driven v0.1 alpha a few times now and although it`s a bit strange driving the track at this stage, the layout, surface, curbs etc all look/feel really good.

Looking forward to your updates.

Nice looking bridge there... :)

19. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Thanks, I know what you mean, most people don't get to drive stuff this early, unless they are beta testers and/or part of the pCars project :)
    The first corner now is completely recognizable on track, all these sorts of cues will come along the line, from big ones first to smaller ones later. For example,
    once the big terrain and the trees are done, the bridges and marshall posts will be finished as they also are big cues as to where you are on track or
    can provide info on turning in, braking, etc.

20. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Shaping up nicely.