[REL] Zolder Circuit

Discussion in 'Locations' started by wgeuze, Nov 23, 2012.

1. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

To make sure there is no error in this area, I always have kept the material name and the gmt instance name the same. I'll double check this tonight though, so easy to make small errors without noticing it :p

Forgot to mention, I didn't find any errors reported in trace.txt either.

All in all I'm doing something wrong, but what I don't know :p

2. fanlebowski

fanlebowski Registered

this is a material issue :)

you don't use the realroad shader here, or there are some issues with textures in :)

when i have this yellow parts i replace the material by the "reference one" and after this i changed textures.

3. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Problem solved! It was a combination of issues:

- I have a seperate file which I use for exporting the meshes (start/finish on 0,0,0) When importing the track mesh, it merged the new multisub with the old one. Both materials were called track, and I didn't see the difference. The older one didn't have realroad applied, but did have the same tarmac texture.
    - I copied the *.TDF file from my test track, where the realroad material for the road is called, how fortunate, road. This time around however the realroad material is called track. When updating everything, I forget to include the track material in there, so rF2 can add surface properties to the realroad surface.

With these two combined, the first one being quite obvious as noted by multiple people, it's quite understandable errors occur :)

Question:
    I want to stop using my other file and want to export directly from my workfile, where I've centered the track around 0,0,0 How can I make sure the car will spawn on the track, instead of at 0,0,0 where there is nothing but emptiness?

edit:
    seems pretty wide from here btw!
    http://i48.tinypic.com/21alpic.jpg

Will investigate tommorow :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2012
  4. fanlebowski

fanlebowski Registered

cool ;)

and yeah, is this a mix of sepang and zolder ? :p

hum i think you have to check your global track size/scale. all this chicane looks too big and not only just too wide, isn't it ?

5. jtbo

jtbo Registered

AIW is which defines where car will start, start grid, garages, pit area, etc, you can access AIW editor in dev mode and I wish you have strong nerves as at the times it does make you rage quit, but alternative is to input all them numbers manually which kills one's fingers at least.

Try fly mode and look towards ground when adding things, that seem to help things ending up closer to correct position, as they are added to camera/viewers position instead of where you are looking, at least that is how I remember it, I have used it one time only to miniak's camp fire track.

6. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I will investigate further this evening, but while driving, it does feel spot on. On google earth for example, the chicane measures almost 12 meters wide I believe!

The track length of the circuit is 4.011 kilometers in length, my track is 4.009 kilometers, so over that entire distance, I'm only off by two meters. Give or take some deviation in elevation for example, and this should be pretty damn close. What is different here though,
    that the actual corner doesn't follow the track you see there, as the sharp edge of the first bend, is a piece of runoff.

edit:
    just re-measured, I should be bang on, although I'm starting the bend too early, it needs to be a more square corner.

Thanks, I will remember when I'm at that stage ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2012
  7. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Fixed some issues and looked at the width, I adjusted the chicane a little bit, but apart from that, it should be quite accurate. I actually had seconds on the hairpin (or almost hairpin) being off camber, but I just watched an iRacing video and it appeared to be off camber in there as well :) That didn't show up too well in the onboard real life videos so I'm leaving that as is for now as well.

Some areas are still pestering me though, right in the middle of the braking area of the first corner there are some bumps I really need to smooth out. Thats a sucky job though, going back and forth between max and rF2 is a pain :p

Everytime I want to make a step forward, by starting working on wall placement, I need to take a step sideways :rolleyes: :p

edit:
    It seems a good idea to bring the Nissan 370Z over into Devmode so I have the general type of car which is driven on Zolder for reference. Hopefully I'll have (temporary) kerbs and walls placed by the end of next week :)

edit2:
    found another great video
    http://vimeo.com/40184268

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2012
  8. MrDarceh

MrDarceh Registered

looking forward to this, good work =D

9. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Thanks, hopefully next weekend I'll have the guardrails and kerbstones placed, all temporary objects ofcourse :)

10. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Placed the walls and guardrails all around the track. Next up are the kerbstones, and after that hopefully some testing :)
    [​IMG]

The terrain needs a bit of a cleanup later, not quite happy with the direction of some of the edges, that'll make me adjust some existing guardrails and walls as well, but I want everything to be clean :)

11. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

looks great!:)

12. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Measuring out the kerbs :)
    [​IMG]

They're all 1 meter wide now, after double checking their placement I'll go ahead and adjust each to exactly what it needs to be :)

Speaking of which, there are some pretty annoying ones, with quite a lot of steps in them, more like 12 little steps per meter instead of 2 large ones. I'm thinking of having an edge every meter or half a meter, and subdividing in between those evenly. Anyone who laid these types of kerbs before? I only dealth with ' regular' ones so far :)

13. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

What is the green lines? splines?

14. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Those are helpers measuring the location and length of the kerbs, using google maps as reference :)

edit:
    following up on page 1, I checked pCars and made this screenshot, quite similar! :)
    [​IMG]

Even more so, both the pCars and my version, are eerily similar. That could mean that we are both quite close to the original, or equally far off! I have however noted that they have a very high amount of camber in turn 7 (after the short straight following the chicane there). I increased the camber I had on that last week already so it resembled the videos I have more, so I'll stick to it for now as I feel it's pretty damn close.

When all the kerbs are in there, I'll package up the track and upload it to mediafire or something so whoever is interested can turn some laps. Getting direct feedback early on might be quite beneficial :) Come to think of it I'll include the 370Z in there as well as I feel that is a car more suited to this track than the rTrainer and might give a better driving experience.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2012
  15. Twista

Twista Registered

This is looking great! Can't wait to try it when it's uploaded :)

16. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Thanks, I can already promise that it will look but-ugly ;)

17. ethone

ethone Registered

Camber... camber is difficult to get right unless you have quite literally perfect quality laser-scan data. It's also an area where I believe artists for more commercially minded projects might exaggerate a bit to let the track feel more "dynamic" and less flat. Or that's just me having trouble with how hard it is to judge camber from imperfect sources. ;)
    Either way, that's a hard thing to nail down.

18. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

That is very true, and i dont have the budget to have the track scanned ;) when you can only go by distorted onboard shots its next to impossible getting the angle right. I thinl that particilar corner in pCars suffers from overcompensation.

On the other hand, a colleague pointed out that unless your standing on track in the actual corner you cant fully grasp what the camber should be or feel like. Good example is the Tarzan turn at Zandvoort. It really has way more camber than you would suspect if only using onboard footage for example. So Im not sure if exagarating is really that, you will when it is too much quite fasy, for example when it completely unsettles the car.

19. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I could ask if fellow car enthusiasts of 360 might know someone from 360 cup, maybe there might be a simracer among them, that might provide some proper feedback, but no promises, might be that there are none with the time.

20. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Would be great, thanks :)

Have been ill during the weekend but will resume work this week, hope to get the kerbs in quite soon ;)

I'm not really sure if I'll shape up the kerbs right away, it might better to have more people drive it first to check overall layout and accuracy before spending more time shaping those kerbs and the rest.
    It just depends on how long it takes to cut in the rest of the kerbs for the track, I've only done 1/3 now but we'll see. My aim is to 'release' an early alpha (or not even that) something before Christmas :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2012