Dynamic Racing Line

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jethwa0902, Nov 18, 2012.

1. jethwa0902

jethwa0902 Registered

Hi,

Just bought the beta version of rfactor 2 yesterday.
    I love the physics of the game but I would love it even more if I can get an option in game settings for turning on dynamic racing line (full track/only corners) just like in Codemasters, Need for speed,etc.
    Makes driving more confident around a new circuit...

2. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

That would not let rF2 to be a simulation. You should find some time and practice on a track and do some laps to find the line on your own. Only with this you could find your own driving style. Driving like in NFS with a dynamic racing line will not turn you into a good driver, because you will focuse on this line rather than on your car and the track. rF2 is supposed to be a simulation and not an arcade like any other "racing" game. Maybe a racing line is good to learn the track in the firs 5 laps but then you SHOULD turn it off.
    The other thought is that this could be cheating in online racing because you have an advantage to other youngsters. ;) Learning a track without helps could be more fun than with.

3. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

4. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

You'll find some members quite touchy on this subject, some seem to think it would sully the game. Actually if you let the AI run a few laps they will lay down enough rubber to have almost exactly the same effect, giving a good indication of lines and braking points.

5. Kibbs

Kibbs Registered

^That

6. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

The key to learning a new track is taking your time and getting to know the track before you attack it at full speed. Some folks take longer than others to learn a track, but everyone has the ability to learn. Just relax, take your time and you will find you don't need a dynamic racing line. If you feel you need it to learn where the apex of a turn is and stuff, try finding a copy of Carroll Smith's book Drive to Win. That will give you all kinds of pointers on how to learn the racing line as well as how to drive better and faster.

7. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

Lets not forget that the Rf series has driving aids. Hence the sim argument is not valid in my eyes. Why not, if it can be turned off? (Same as driving aids) otherwise, to remain consistent, we should ask to have any kind of help completely removed. Personally i think that any feature is welcome, as long as it can be turned off. ( and enforced on the server side).
    However, i must agree that it would probably not make you a better driver... As the other guys mentioned....practise practise.... I would even not recommend the map plugin, it just distracts you from learning the track by heart, which is the only way at the end.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2012
  8. jethwa0902

jethwa0902 Registered

Honestly guys you are right. Yup have to go around the circuit for quite some laps to get used to it. Physics and realism is much more updated than rfactor version 1 though..

9. Knight of Redemption

Once you get used to what is a very individual Sim you will really enjoy it. The game rewards practice :)

10. tjc

tjc Registered

^^

+ 1

11. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

12. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

Just drive the course and learn how to drive ffs. Or go back to arcade. Whatever.

13. Knight of Redemption

You spend much time on that help and encouragement?

14. elbo

elbo Registered

I use the track plugin all the time, not so much to learn the track but to know where the traffic is at...its great for that.

15. imonarefactor

imonarefactor Registered

I am so sick of hearing this. rFactor has a ton of aids (a page of assists and a ghost car). Why can't this poster request another aid if it will help him/her?

You don't need to turn it on.

16. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Seeing as a lot of the aids are in place to help a person who isn't skilled with racing drive a race car, I guess the same can be said about a dynamic racing line. If the line were off by default, then those of us who love to learn the track and cars won't have to deal with it, so there should be no issues with it being included. Server setup should also be able to disable the line so that everyone is on the same playing field so to speak. The only thing I prefer to have is an aid to see if anyone is coming up on the pit exit so you know if you need to use more caution entering the track, but that is just me.

17. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

if you look at pit road lights when exiting, you get a blue light if someone is approaching from on track.
    I'm sure some of the cheaply made tracks don't have this feature but ISI tracks do and VLM tracks do as well.

As far as disabling real road on a server, why?

18. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

For the Dynamic racing line: Biggest problem would be real road, weather (especially if wind starts to have effect etc.), because that causes the line to never be exactly the same, thus a 'dynamic racing line' would in most cases be incorrect (sometimes just slightly, but possible way off)..... Also, the driving line is greatly influenced by the setup of the car.

EDIT :: and off course it also depends hugely on the car ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2012
  19. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

There is an aid to see if anyone is coming up on the pit exit - its called mirrors :p Joking aside, you should always becareful when exitin pits.

20. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

I don't think wind has a lot to do with racing line - yes you might need to brake earlier or corner a bit slower in some corner but the racing line is still the same. Same with setup. You always strive to race the ideal line. The ideal line changes only if it is wet.