SimVibe anyone?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by taufikp, Nov 17, 2012.

1. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2012
  2. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

From what I read it is not a good substitute for motion rigs, but does enhance the experience depending on the number of kickers you have installed on your rig and where they are placed. You should be able to feel the brakes locking, the engine running and things like that, but you won't get any feel of G-force or motion from them.

3. VLA

VLA Registered

Correct, Gearjammer.

From a stage 5 full motion sim and 5.1 simvibe 9 bass shaker installation, The two have their own chapters to experience independently. However once you combine these two ie: vibration and motion, It just feels complete, two elements we all recognise in any real car motoring.

Prior to simvibe I felt I was achieving a high level of vibration experience, Now with simvibe, It's spectacular. I use that word because of the dimension simvibe reaches, It's vibration... yes... but now it feels specific and with a purpose.

A good analagy would be like upgrading your GPU. Prior to the upgrade you accepted the level of detail your saw, once you upgraded you not only were amazed with the content you were missing out on but also able to use full AA for refinement ect.

@Taufikp...."From what I read, seems very promising and perhaps it can be a good substitution for motion rig platform"
    I know it's not a question, so I'll put it this way....which one would I give up if I had to choose between Simvibe or Motion....

Simvibe would be given up.....because I can always go back to my original vibration setup. Reading between the lines, you can see neither of them would be totally given up.

Food for thought, Let's say that Simvibe costs the same dollars as a full motion simulator, which would I buy first.....
    I would buy Simvibe......I rank it that high.

4. taufikp

taufikp Registered

You guys both are right: SimVibe is a perfect complement for a motion rig, not a substitute.

I did a little research, and found some components that I think are suitable to build a DIY shaker rig, and less expensive than ButtKicker.

DAYTON TT25-16 PUCK Tactile Transducer Mini Bass Shaker 16 Ohm - $13.09 at Amazon
    [​IMG]

- OR -

Aura AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shaker - $45 at Amazon
    [​IMG]

Since I'm using on board audio card, another component that I need to buy is a second sound card PCI 5.1, as suggested by SimVibe. I hope a cheap PCI 5.1 sound card can handle the bass shaker just fine.

At $79, SimVibe is the most expensive component!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2012
  5. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

You can't drive bass shakers with a sound card. You need an amplifier, like a subwoofer amp.

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Yes using x4 buttkickers

Simvibe is excellent , complete control

7. grubyc

grubyc Registered

Are you using chasis mode? What efects?
    Is there a chance to share setup?

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Grubyc

I se extension mode, although its set Simalar to chassis mode, it's a waste of time sharing profiles as diferent rigs/chairs transfer vibrations differently

I'm using engine / road texture vibrations, although setting up my new rig at the moment (custom made) so yet to position units & re-setup simvibe

9. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Ouch! Must buy one more component then (>.<)

Will this Lepai amp ($20.39 on Amazon) big enough to drive bass shaker?

[​IMG]

10. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Doesn't the amp have to have as many channels as you have kickers? So that amp would only drive 2 being stereo. Interesting topic as I planned to buy simvibe with 4 kickers next, then some rams for motion when I can afford it. Did send simxperience an email enquiry with some questions but got no reply, anyone else have a problem dealing with them?

11. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

This is where getting into stereo setups helps alot :) For each channel that the sound card puts out you can have an amp connected. From there, you have have as many speakers as the amp can handle, but to get the most out of the kickers, you would probably want only a single kicker per amp unless you have some nice powerful amps to connect to. There are ways to bridge the output on an amp to get both channels driving a single kicker, but you would need to get information from your amp on how to do this properly if it is supported.

So with all that up there, the optimal as far as performance goes would be a 7.1 sound card with 7 amps connected to 7 kickers. I am pretty sure that simvibe will at least address 5 amps, and I would think it would handle 7, but I have not read up on it to be certain of that part. Needless to say, the vibe setup can cost a bit of money if you go all out on it, but you don't have to do it all at once.

12. Skylar_Schutz

Skylar_Schutz Registered

if anyone has a profile for extension mode (i'm running 1xBK2) pls share with me ..
    i've tried simvibe with iRacing and it is awesome .. so wanna try it with rF2 (build 125 too).

13. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

Anyone know how to turn off the dang music in the Simvibe software? It's really annoying!

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

You should find a slider bottom right hand corner (on the button profile selector intro U.i )

15. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I have four of these amps running my four K-Woon shakers, no problems

16. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

I saw that, but I thought it controlled the vibration volume, too. Thanks!

17. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Video review of SimVibe by SimRacingTonight. Nice.

Summary:
    - LFE shakers such as buttkicker PLUS SimVibe is a MUST HAVE :)
    - Shakers + SimVibe = Poor man's motion system :)
    - Total cost can be quite high :(

18. cookie

cookie Registered

View attachment 6158 View attachment 6159 View attachment 6160

Hi guys I am using SimVibe chassis mode with 4 ButtKicker mini LFE with a car amp JVC KS AX3104 ($140 ) 60W RMS x 4-CH at 4 OHMS (800w max Power ) with a car battery on trickle charge outside . With a ASUS sound card Xonar DX with at output voltage of 2 Vrms required to push the car amp .Set up is working well on my PVC rig

19. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

You might consider investing in a DC power supply so you don't have to worry about the car battery anymore. :)

Funny, I think a computer has a 12V power source that the amp would need hehe. You just need a much heftier PSU :)

20. cookie

cookie Registered

Yes I will update to a voltage reducer 13.8 Volt 20 -30 Amp DC Power Supply from Jaycay $189.00 -$249.00 just testing the max amp usage .