Getting online!

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Toranaxu1, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Toranaxu1

Toranaxu1 Registered

why when in the lobby are there so many games in there that are locked and no-one in them ?

and why when I join a race I get into my garage and then I get pinged/booted out of there ?

2. Kiro

Kiro Registered

Locked because they are league servers that don't want strangers in there.
    Empty because ppl just leave them on.
    Booted because you either don't have the correct track, mod or car.

3. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

If the Get Mod button is lit you need to click it to download the mod to join the server. Keep your eye on the ARI fun race servers people are welcome to join them and run some laps and the odd informal race in the run up to the actual race and indeed are welcome to sign up for the race :)

4. Tripp

Tripp Registered

With rfactor it works like this
    1. first you must have same car/mod = Race series the server in the lobby list have
    2.Take a look at info from servers so called MOTD maybe it show a link yto a site that server use so you can download what you need
    3.password servers that you must have password for usually pw servers is for liga races
    4.if you miss installed the files that server have or another update you join server first then get kicked/booted from server
    5.missing any tracks or mod that you not can find you may found them here search the mod cars you missing or must have and you may have some luck here http://trippteam.servegame.com:100/

5. Toranaxu1

Toranaxu1 Registered

I haven't got a car at all. when it shows select car there isn't any in there

6. Toranaxu1

Toranaxu1 Registered

thankyou but I really don't have any idea.. but I'll get there lol I hope.. just wanna race and had it for 2 weeks and just can't get online to race..been extremely frustrating

7. Toranaxu1

Toranaxu1 Registered

how do I get a car.. I have no car to select and I can't see any play money anywhere to buy 1 so whats the go..how do I get a car ..
    awww mate I have no idea how to add a mod and I don't even know what a patch is.., but thankyou.. all I want to do is get a V8 super car so I can race with my mates as they are in the same boat as me..we got a guy to download all the Australian V8 supercars and tracks.. so me and my mates have the same deal but can't get online.. so frustrating.., if I hadn't have bought a new comp to do this I would be long gone.. all sounds so complicated for something so simple..,
    thankyou ...

8. Kiro

Kiro Registered

After you download and correctly install the mod and/or track, you need to select the series (mod) in game.
    http://www.rfactorcentral.com/ used to be the place to get most.
    They have some help for installing.
    In multiplayer settings, make sure you are using inet, not LAN.
    Also in those settings, make sure SPECTATE is off.
    Other than that, the manual helps :)

We actually need a little more info to go on.

There is a code to use to get 2billion dollars, dont worry, everyone does it.
    Plus it gives you all the cars, but you need to at least get on a track with a car to use it.
    The game should have come with some cars and tracks and a little money.
    If not, you have done something wrong.
    Pick any car (that you own) and any track and go.
    Once in pits type "ISI_BABYFACTORY" without the quotes but include the underscore in the chat box (and hit return, duh) and then exit the track.
    You will own all the cars then.
    You may need to do that with each new mod that you install.

It's not complicated, you'll get it and be racing in no time :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2012
  9. Toranaxu1

Toranaxu1 Registered

hey mate.. I got a mate that has downloaded the Aussie v8 supercars and track and yes I have spectator off and useing internet..
    I don't understand about selecting a series.. from where.., how ?
    I have only seen money come up on my screen 1 time.. and where is the money and what is the code etc? and what do I do with this money ?
    I need to get on a track with a car to use it.. you mean on track with a car and online?
    thanks for your help mate.. and your wishful thinking lol but I can't see me getting online anytime soon.. because I keep getting told what to do but never how to do it.., and Iam finding it damn impossible for me to online..
    '

I have a file of Aussie V8s and Aussie tracks.. and when I go to get online to create a race I see my tracks there I can pick from but no cars in my garage

10. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

If you are talking about rFactor2, there is no money in the sim. In order to be able to do much of anything follow the instructions at this link: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3626489.html

Once you have downloaded and installed all of the content from ISI then you can see about putting in your Ausie V8's and tracks. and get online. If you are not talking about rFactor2, then perhaps you should tell us which game you installed so we all have a clue what you are dealing with.

11. Toranaxu1

Toranaxu1 Registered

oh ok thankyou.. and I have Rfactor 1 .. and I have a feeling Iam not getting online because I haven't got a car to choose from yet I have heaps of V8's in a folder and what I use to practice with offline.., its getting online is my problem.. and I think I have opened my modem ports right..., but Iam getting a guy to come look at them just incase I haven't...

how do I select a vehicle.. I joined a room them and I got kicked of course..whats new there.. but it said because I didn't have a vehicle.. and I can't see any option to pick 1.. I have one when I do test sessions but as soon as I try to go online there is no car and no option to choose 1...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2012
  12. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Usually a server is setup to run a specific vehicle on a specific track or collection of tracks. If you don't have everything that the server has running, you will get kicked. You also need to be sure that your versions match those of the server. The server listing should give you information on what is being run, though I am not absolutely sure how it appears as I have never owned rF1.

13. Toranaxu1

Toranaxu1 Registered

the whole set up of this rfactor racing seems to be so so very fragile to me...,everything seems to have to be pin point actuate to work yet very little to no information is given and what I have found out so far.. all or any information is scattered all over the internet like a bomb hit it.., it is impossible for a new comer like myself to work this out without being a computer geek comp tech and programmer all wrapped into 1..., this can't be right.. I'am hoping I have done something badly wrong if not I pity any other poor bastard that trys this ****...

14. Knight of Redemption

There are hundreds of Mods so it is a matter of making sure you have the right car pack and tracks to get into any given lobby. Bearing in mind the game has been out for years, your not too likely to find anyone still running with the base cars and tracks.

Check out race2play.com there you will find races and links to the mods needed for the races being run. I would also recommend joining a league were you will find help from other members in sorting out the right mods.

I would suggest using rF1 light, download here http://www.rfactorcentral.com/rfactor_lite.cfm

Using this to install mods into keeps things nice and separate and you can have as many Light installs as you want. I use one for just about every mod I run and delete them when I have done with them.

Have a folder set up that you store all your mod and track downloads in, that way you can paste tracks particularly into any light/mod install.

The learning curve can seem a little steep, but you will soon be installing mods like a pro.:)

15. Toranaxu1

Toranaxu1 Registered

thanks mate I will have alook at race2play sounds like a good place.., and I love your confidence in me lol but I have no idea how to download a mod or patch.. don't know how to even add cars tracks... is it as simple as a copy & paste .

If idown load rF1 to keep mods etc in how do they get into the full version that Iam useing.. and if it is just a copy & paste couldn't I just make a folder to put mods etc in ?

thankyou for your help..

16. Toranaxu1

Toranaxu1 Registered

I had a look at that site and it looks pretty good.. but when looking around under cars etc I found a Charger E49 in Bathurst Legends and I click on it and it started to download..I stopped it lol but was that downloading the car that I could add to my car list/garage and if so how do I add it after is downloaded..?

17. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

No, the single car (charger) is most likely an add-on to an existing mod, so you need the specific mod installed first, then add the charger.
    Or the charger is simply a skin to be added to an existing car. But again, most likely part of a mod you first need to install.

A mod can be installed in 3 ways:
    1. its an exe, you simply point it to the root folder (rfactor) and it will install itself.
    2. it a zip, if they made the zip correctly the first folder of the zip should be Gamedata, if so, simply extract the zip to rfactor and it will unzip everything into the correct folders.
    3. its a zip but the folders need to be copy/pasted manualy.

For 3, and just about everything else, you need to understand how the folder structures work.

Simple explanation: the folders are allready in place in rf, a mod/track will just add new folders inside the existing ones or add files to existing folders within rfactor.

More specific:
    Go to your v8 mod and unzip/extract/install it into a temp folder outside of rf (desktop for example)
    Now open the extracted folder and in a new window, open rfactor.

In the V8 temp folder you will see several folders like Gamedata/Moviefiles/Music/rFm/UIData
    Now check rfactor's folder and you will see it has the same folders.

mod and sim, same folders.....
    That means an exe or zip is just adding new content to allready existing folders in rfactor.

So if a mod is not working, you may have installed it incorrectly.

You can do three things to check if the mod is installed correctly:
    1] fire up rfactor, drive arround in single player. No issues? probably installed correctly.
    2] simply re-install the mod by extracting it to rfactor. (rf will ignore previous incorrect installed files but it does/can give additional problems so better go to 3.)
    3] check if the mod is installled correctly to begin with. and this can be done by extracting your mod to a temp. folder and cross-reference if the folders/files from the mod are indeed in the correct folders in rfactor.

So if i look at my own V8 mod which is from ORSM i see that the mod has a folder called Gamedata/Vehicles/ORSM
    Now if i check my rfactor this should be exactly the same.
    same for every other folder in your mod, it should have extracted to exactly the same folders in rfactors own folders.
    If i have no ORSM folder in vehicles after installing i will know it was not installed correctly.

A common mistake is when a mod-zip is not actualy pointing to Gamedata but they zipped it to rfactor/gamadata or something simulair. now, when unzipping to rfactor, it will create a 2nd gamedata folder and the entire mod is outside of rfactor's filestructure. and it will not work.

So, mod-file-structure should be exactly the same as rf-file-structure.
    you could even unzip the mod to a temp. folder and manualy copy/paste everything into its corresponding folders.

For tracks its even easyer, tracks go into rfactor/gamedata/Locations.
    with 2 differences:
    1. its a single track (simply extract it to Locations and it will work)
    2. the track is part of a trackpack and needs to be inside this trackpack folder in Locations (for example my tracks for GP79 trackpack all have to go inside the folder GP79tracks, otherwise it wont work.

this should be explained in a readme or its obvious because the zip of the track allready shows the correct track-pack folder so one again, copy/paste into Locations.

As for mismatches, this is where the real issues start.
    An incorrectly installed mod will give mismatches yes, but also incorrect versions give mismatches. so if you are joining a server with v8 v1.1 on a server using v8 v1.2 it will not work.
    Even more problematic is when servers have tweaked files for their own racing (leagues usualy) and you are sure its all correct but still get mismatches. (this is why rf2 has the current vmod stuff)

same for a track, its HAS to be the same version. (unless a server allows certain mismatches, the server will tell you this)

The best solution to avoid mismatches is starting your own server and invite your friends. either a dedicated server or a hosted game.

Then you have public servers with stock mods/tracks. now its simply a question of finding out what they use (info in server list or they have version name in server-title)

When its a league server with specific files you need to find their website and download/install their custom files.

Or indeed join race2play or simulair communities or even a league. then its just simply a question of installing what they tell you to install.

I may look complicated after all the above but once you get grips with it its actualy quite simple.
    the biggest issue is realy having the same mods/tracks as a server.

Good luck :)

18. Toranaxu1

Toranaxu1 Registered

thankyou so very very much mate.. much appreciated for your help and time.., and yeah it is very complicated to me lol. but you've explained it well. and Iam getting the drift of it.. I saved what you have written so I can read it more to get a better idea and for future reference.. but I don't think I'll be getting into mods just yet.. me and 2 mates got a guy to download it onto our comps so we can reace each other and we have lots of V8 cars and tracks and I think Iam online..not that I have been in a race yet lol..
    Now these server things .. so do I have to create one so me and my mates can race.. or do I just press the create button at the start of the game and pick a track on go ?...
    And do you race V8's .. I saw on the list of servers/host someone had got Oran park which I haven't and I'd really like to have it..

Have a great day and weekend and thankyou

19. Knight of Redemption

rF1 lite is a stand alone cut down version of rF1, it has just one car and track. It is separate and independent of your main rF1 install. You can have as many rF1 lite installs as you like, and the point of it is that sometimes Mods conflict with each other, so it is safer to isolate them by installing into their own Lite install. It also means if you mess up a mod install you have not compromised your main program and can just delete the messed up Lite install and try again. In short a Lite install gives you the freedom to experiment and play around installing mods and tracks without the fear of messing up your main program. A Lite install runs from it's own EXE not from the main rF1 EXE.

On your Charger E49 download, yes that would have been downloading probably several cars including the Charger to drive. That is the beauty of that site, if you see a race you want to participate in they have the Mods and Tracks there to download.

Oh I might add I was just like you only a couple of months ago, totally bewildered by what seemed a very complicated process :)

20. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

There's 2 ways to host. one is called dedicaded server and the other one is called Host.
    A dedi server will remain online, even if you are not there (Provided you keep it live of course)
    A hosted game will stop as soon as the host stops.

A dedicated server can be rented/bought or started from your own computer.
    In your case the most simple way is to indeed simply host a game when you want to invite friends.

So yes, fire up rfactor and click 'create'
    password means is either a closed or open session. your friends will need the pw.
    if your friends can't find the game you probably need to go to Settings under Create first and click 'yes' on Announce on Matchmaker.
    Thats it.
    (the guy in your group with the fastest connection should probably be the one to host a session otherwise you might suffer from lag)

To launch a dedicated server, which will give abit more admin options and also stay online without you beeing there, go to the rfactor folder and find the dedicated exe. when it fires up the options are clear enough so just pick what you want and start it up.

As for V8, we did a season with V8 this year in our league and it was pretty exiting, great mod, lovely cars and tracks. But we have gone back to our main purpose which is classic open wheelers.
    One of our members made a v8-season video, pretty epic stuff :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3zGoiXudM8

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2012