Off topic: Force feedback with seatbelts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Petteri, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Petteri

Petteri Registered

Hi all,

Had some thoughts about force feedback in racing sims in general that I thought might warrant some futher exploration, so decided to register here and see what you'd think about feasability of such a system.

The idea I had was that instead of moving the racing seat around to simulate forces, you would thighten the seatbelts on the seat to simulate the feeling you'd get when thrown around your car. For example when braking the seat would thighten both shoulder belts to simulate how you would be pressed against the belts when braking in real life or when doing a tight turn, the system could thighten the outside hip belt and shoulder belt (the system would basically be a seat with five point harness with tightening motors at shoulder and hip belts).

Now, I know such a system could never replace proper motion simulators but instead I'd see it as a additional thing to home simulators in vein of bass shakers and such (which you'd actually be able attach to system like this as well).

With all that said, I'm not at all sure if it would even work but as said though it to be interesting enough to post,

any thoughts?

2. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I would add seat tilting to that, just relatively simple, seat on post with joint that allows rotation over two axis and motors to rotate seat a bit, not very large amount would be needed as seatbelts would give additional sensation. I think alone them might not be so effective.

3. Petteri

Petteri Registered

Yeah, most likely you are correct on that - though in that case it would probably need hydraulics of some sort and with that it would be come rather close to a motionsimulator on its own. Although as you said, less travel would be needed...

Unfortunately this has to be rather theoretical at this point as personaly would have no idea where to even start with such a thing, would just be interesting to know if such a thing has any merit and if maybe somebody had had similar idea earlier and already implemented it one way or the other...

4. Andy_R

Andy_R Registered

There is already a commercial company that incorporates tightening seatbelts into their motion rig.
    I was looking into motion rigs last year and I remember seeing that feature, unfortunately I can't find the link at the moment but if I do find it I will post.

5. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

"tightening seatbelts into their motion rig"...sounds somehow dangerous to me...-;)

6. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Christine just popped onto my mind all of sudden :eek:

7. Petteri

Petteri Registered

Big red 'Release me!' Button might have to be part of the design ;)