Screen Tearing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Nov 10, 2012.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Only really ever noticed this since I upgraded my PC, other games seem to run fine without noticing (it may be there but I just dont notice it) but RF2 its much more prominent, certainly does'nt ruin the enjoyment of the game but its just "there" and at times it gets a bit annoying.

I run with GPU Sync enabled, tried the other options but either performance is decreased or the tearing is still there anyway (including Off). I've set V-Sync to Always On in CCC, tried that and in game Sync to Off/GPU but still the tearing is there, anyone got any fresh ideas they could throw my way please?
    The FPS & game run smoothly where I rarely notice FPS drops (apart from the obligatory start of races!), just wondering if theres something I've missed in CCC or even a PLR setting? unlikely but you never know! (PC Specs on left)

Not sure of this is an RF2 Bug related issue so throwing it out there for advice in the meantime just incase its me!

2. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Sync = 'Video' is the setting you want for no tearing. I know you said that decreases your performance but that is the cost if you want no tearing. I don't use myself because of the added input lag. Hope that helps.

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah I'd rather keep the performance as is for now and live with the tearing, cant recall any input lag but then I'm probably not good enough to notice that :p

4. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

I can't take tearing at all. Very distracting to me.

5. Spadge

Spadge Registered

By limit performance, what do you mean exactly?

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I never said limit :confused:

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Seriously since the first guide in tearing and other anomalies I have not suffered with it in 20 years.

Must just be good hardware and good OS all I can think of ?

Then again most people have not got a hope in hell of running 100 cars in PnG either have they. ? ( rolleyes) lopl
    http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276809

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_1.html

That statement is UTTER BS !@! lopl

He can't spell to save his life either, found a dozen errors.

8. Spadge

Spadge Registered

Erm ...

OK, allow me to rephrase. How much of a decrease in performance are you seeing with vsync turned on?

9. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Why's that bs?

10. Spadge

Spadge Registered

Please - Do not feed the trolls.

1 person likes this.
  11. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Very strange that you're getting tearing with Vsync enabled. Have you tried running with it off? Is the tearing better or worse? Try capping your frame rates at 60 and see what happens then(with vsync disabled).

12. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

Probably some issue with CCC and game - I would start by not forcing vsync in CCC (set it to application controlled) and then trying the rF2 vsync options (video, gpu, off, whatever there is).

13. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

In the past I've been changing sync on and off. It has been hard to choose between smooth framerate (sync: video) and low input lag/tearing (sync: off, software or GPU). But after driving FIA F2 with both settings I now know which way to go - and it's low input lag so don't use "sync: video". It's just crazy how much harder that kind of sensitive vehicle as F2 is to drive if input lag is increased even slightly (haven't measured it but with "max pre-rendered frames" set to 1 "sync: video" increases input lag by something like 15 milliseconds). However with looser and slower cars increased input lag doesn't matter that much.

I personally use "sync: software" but many have told they don't like it. It causes little twitches every second or two but during racing I kind of forget it so it doesn't bother me. Tried "sync: GPU" too but it's kind of continuously jaggy for me. I believe best combination would be "sync: off" with very beefy hardware so that framerate wouldn't go under ~180 fps.

MarcG: try uninstalling rF2 completely and use default settings in your graphics card control panel.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2012
  14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Fresh drivers and RF2 install so doubt they are to blame, already got PLR at 60 Max Framerate suppose I could try with that higher/Off . Will try the CCC to App Controlled (thanks) and alternate between the in game Sync options again but dont really want to use Video as I said performance drops (by 10+fps) and if others have found input lag thats not the answer for me...I want very little or no input lag whatsoever.
    Thanks all will have a play later.

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Success!
    Max Framerate="60.00000"
    That was the Tearer, thought I turned it to off and tried before but obviously not (you know when you try a million settings and think you've tried them all!!).
    Setting it to 0 and trying other various in game Sync Options plus different CCC Syncs and no tearing whatsoever so I must've had that set to 60 all along. Originally just to stop the GPU from whistling in the menu screens (thats annoying) so now set it to 120 to distinguish that noise and in race no tearing...lovely jubbly!

16. djt

djt Registered

Forcing v-sync with any of the Catalyst driver revisions with Vista or Windows 7 going back years now hasn’t worked with any of the games/sims I've tried (there has been a lot of discussion about this in various hardware sites over the years). In other words if you don't use the in-game v-sync option chances are that with AMD and Vista/Win7 you're not going to get v-sync.

17. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

In my Nvidia control panel it says for Vista vsync . ...... Direct3D games use the in game setting. OpenGL use the control panel.

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah I noticed the FPS was'nt locked to 60 when using CCC Vsync, did'nt realise it was a widely reported issue so thanks for the heads up.

19. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Durge a troll?
    His 600 posts against your 60 (among other things)?

Or is it the other way around? Regarding trolling that is.

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Tearing drives me insane, even when I lock it too 119 or 120 fps (multiples of 60) I still get it, although much less, still easily happens especially when the background is shifting on the screen sideways, like when you do a quick turn or alot in replay mode, drives me nuts. VSynch is horrendous for me, cant stand the lag.

Isnt there a screen technology like the old CRT's that dont have tearing at all? Do IPS panels have less tearing? What about 120hz monitors. I know they are more fluid, but what about with regards to minimizing tearing?..