Tutorial to convert tracks from rFactor to rFactor2 with 3dsimed

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by SPASKIS, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

You should better use the new real road shader. At that time "road 2 diffuse maps" was used. Road material names should end with wet so that they reflect which is not done in the turorial. Reflections in general are not covered in the tutorial. For the rest it pretty much is the same.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

2. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

3. shiet

shiet Registered

Hi guys.
    I have a problem. I made a track in BTB and I would like to convert it to rF2 and it works except for...
    the realroad (the racegroove texture) shows up inappropriate in the game. I tried copying both Brianza and ISI AMP road material.
    So the racegroove looks like this:

[​IMG]

So after this what I tried is I changed the racegroove.dds to another texture just to see whats the problem and it looks like this.

[​IMG]
    ingame:
    [​IMG]

however it should look like this (ISI AMP)

[​IMG]

so basically the racegroove texture shows up on the asphalt multiple times per m2.

What's the problem?

4. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Mosport :p

5. shiet

shiet Registered

U can see it on my yt channel... this is just a prototype, I would like to decide if it's worth the effort or not to upgrade the visuals. If I can't make the realroad work properly (I mean this is my first ever try to convert) then I let it go. I also have Road Atlanta (much better quality) and Summit Point Raceway. Elevation changes are based on GE and (big AND) iRacing, that was my reference.

6. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Hi shied. You need to scale U,V maps (I would suggest 0,05 factor) the channel of racegroove.dds. You want be able to map it so that it follows fast path but center path.

For real road you can directly copy the original material from an ISI track. You will still have to scale UV maps since BTB uses a simpler shader.

7. shiet

shiet Registered

It's shiet. :)
    Thx for the info, I thought too the problem is with this mapping thing, the problem is I don't know anything about these things (I just enjoyed BTB which is simple) so I guess I just let it go. Somebody else gonna do Mosport eventually (I just hope that not based on the existing ones because they're very inaccurate). :)

8. shiet

shiet Registered

It's OK now.
    [​IMG]

9. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Wow - would be cool - if you release it - TIA

10. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I'm glad you sorted it out.

One advice. Do not use BTB standard grass. It looks awful in rF2. It has a huge tiling effect. Take some textures of ISI tracks. Since you will not be able to properly map it, I would suggest using the multiplier channel to create some variety. You can use also the blending with background picture from BTB to provide some variety and avoid tiling. You can copy the UV from that blended diffuse texture channel and paste it to the Multi channel of grass shader. I think it is Mores track which uses this.

11. shiet

shiet Registered

Euskotracks: thx for advice.
    Blending with background - I know what's that.
    Multiplier channel - I don't know what's that. :)

I know the grass looks like shiet :) I know I have to change it. My bigger concern are the trees, I have no idea where to find rF2 trees, I mean how could I use them in BTB.

12. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

check at the thread of mosport. I answered there

13. sti228

sti228 Registered

There is no way to update this convert tutorial ? As i see lot of things change now. Will be good if someone record tutorial (like in first page) by step to step how to convert BTB track in rFactor 2.

14. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

From this tutorial not so many things have actually changed. I would list the following:

- "real road" shader: Old "road 2 diffuse map" shader has been substituted by "real road" shader. You can directly copy/paste it from an original ISI track. This feature works much better today in 3dsimed than when the tutorial was made.

Beware of the scaling of the different channels' uv maps.
    You might need to rotate textures either in original BTB project or the texture itself. This was the same at the time when the tutorial was made since you cannot rotate textures in 3dsimed.

- "grass shader": old "blended grass infield" shader has been substituted by "multi-layer grass dirt" as the standard. However you cannot use this since BTB does not use vertex painting (Only 0/255 blending between two textures). I keep using blended grass infields for that reason.

- animations and billboards. At the time of the tutorial they were not supported by 3dsimed which now does. However, it has some limitations. You need to use existing objects and place them directly with 3dsimed. It is not possible to include them in an xpack for BTB. For cornerworkers is not too bad since there can be 20 or so. But is quite typical to have over a thousand trees which have to be planted one by one.
    I explained how to do this in Mosport thread also including a 3dsimed tree xpack.

Rely on me that nothing from the tutorial has substantially changed to justify a new video which takes a lot of time to do. Some things can be more or less difficult to do but so were they when the tutorial was done. If you follow the tutorial thinking that many things have changed you will blame to it any time something does not work as expected and you will probably get stuck. A much better approach to follow the tutorial is that many people have successfully learnt the basics thanks to it and now can do many things on their own just by watching other people's work. Open any track with 3dsimed and check any doubt you may have about how something is being done.

If you think I have missed some important change please say so.

The original track simply needs to be a rF1 track. It doesn't matter whether it was created with btb or not. In my case I do use BTB but it is irrelevant.

15. sti228

sti228 Registered

Euskotracks

It's a lot :) Thanks for information.

You mean this topic ? Mosport

Maybe i'm wrong but BTB tracks for rFactor 2 looks strange. I mean car handling and service of road. It's very different. Maybe i missed some part of tutorial i don't know. Anyway will try to figure out.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2015
  16. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Yes in post number 10

17. sti228

sti228 Registered

18. shiet

shiet Registered

I was gonna ask this anyway so where can I find animated cornerworkers, animated pitcrew and that "startflag guy"? Also spectators (not animated). Do you have it? :) I tried to copy/insert them from ISI tracks but they are hovering in the air.

19. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

You need to set pivot point to 0,0,0

20. shiet

shiet Registered

It's not working, it's already 0,0,0.