Green track braking & AI traction/grip

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hedlund_90, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Hi guys, what do you think about the AI? Anyone else noticed that AI have 'too good' traction and grip? Especially in the start. Me and my brother often race against the AI and have noticed this.

Compared to my opponents online I have good starts but against AI I'm totally outclassed. If my starting position is on the dirty/unrubbered side of the track I often loose 4 cars in the start. The car behind me have extreme traction and is probably ahead of me in 2 seconds. If my starting position is on the rubbered side of track, I have a small chance to defend my position.

Also, when track is green the AI is very, very fast from the beginning. I'm several seconds slower, but when track gets rubbered I'm faster than AI. They do not improve their time very much. Also when track is totally green the F2 locks up very, very, very easy. And now I really mean extremely easy, I can only use like 10-20% of my brake no matter if I go 30 km/h or 250 km/h. After 3-4 laps it feels much better.

I wonder If AI is affected of track conditions or is their grip and racing line already pre-determined? To me they seem to drive in a rail totally unaffected by track grip or opponents, because when collide with AI it's probably me that fly off track and not them. They are like glued to track. Or? ;)

To me the AI is really important and right now they are really bad. I've seen videos of old GPL that seem to have fantastic AI. I can't find much interesting servers so I often race offline.

Any thoughts about this? :)

1 person likes this.
  2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yeah they have always had "Extra" grip levels ever since rF1, the AI - as good as they are now - need an overhaul post Gold not just on Grip levels on (Green) tracks but on all aspects, by all accounts they are gonna get looked at at somepoint. Sooo many areas to tweak and fix and improve its hard to keep count so we'll just have to wait and see, what I'd like is more outside ability to edit their behaviour so different mod teams can create truly realistic AI to suit their type of mod (contact, non-contact etc) as I posted about here:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/3009-Open-Source-AI-Code-for-Mod-Developers?highlight=

3. Kibbs

Kibbs Registered

On a green track I agree.

4. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I don't know much but I can say that my perception is that I do better against AI in later laps as rubber builds up...

5. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I have noticed the same things as Hedlund. I often drive with AI because there is no server that allows all the driving aids I prefer. Also, on some tracks, mostly non ISI, Ai can not drive some corner full throttle as those corner as supposed to drive ( for example topeka and black hole ring). This usually end up me hitting their rear and spinning. Increasing skill level slightly improves their speed on those corner but then again they are already too fast on other part of the circuit.

I also hope that AI would pass each other more and do more driving errors.

6. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I often end up hitting their rear and then crash (they don't even recognize it ;)) because they suddenly slow down in very fast corners. But this problem is probably not only ISIs, but also the track builder.

I don't like how the AI is extremely slow when you are behind them, and then drive as fast as you are when you passing them. For example: I'm 3rd, and have two AIs right ahead of me. We have a 2-3 seconds gap to the 4th car, but the cars in front of me drive really, really slow and in just a couple of turns the 4th car is right behind me. If I manage to overtake the two cars and take the lead, the AI's will drive very well again and do not slow down in high speed corners (like they would do if I was right behind them, LOL). Strange behavior.

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

The trouble with user created tracks (and even ISI ones to some extent) is the quality of the AIW. Some rf1 user tracks had poor AIW and as a result the AI sucked and its gonna happen with RF2, those current tracks exempt as everything right now should be classed as beta.
    We could get the best AI in a year's time but we still need the track maker to do a good job on their part, one reason why I'm determined to learn AIW creation to "fix" the bad jobs.

8. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

All that being said guys you have to say this is the best AI I've come across.

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Does this depend on the track you run? I firmly believe the AI are good, but some tracks need new lines for them.