Graphics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Craigjw, Oct 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WheelNut

WheelNut Banned

if rf2 is to be constantly developed and never finished
    lets look at there first product and was it produced the same way as it seems unfinished
    i think it had 2 patches releases for it
    by the looks of it rf1 is getting finished now with rf2
    so will we have to wait a few years for rf3 to get a finished rf2

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. David Wright 67

David Wright 67 Registered

There are not 66 people working on pCARS though there are more than those working on rF2. Quantity of staff results in quantity of content, not quality of content. Look at AC - far smaller team than rF2 - but pCARs quality graphics.

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

wait for 2 years tell me rF2 is 2007

what a laugh

4. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Ehm, ehm... Asseto Corsa.

5. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

And sofar you got nothing from them than eye candy look. Since ive seen first screen and till now we all have seen only new cars added and some videos from the game. Completly nothing how the game actually is. Few people had the chance to play the game but i havents heard nothing else that is good drivable, a good compromise beetwen sim and fun and this is all we know.
    Atleast whit rf2 we get some progress, yeah its slower than we want it but still we have a chance to test it, build it up, learn it and improve it.

6. trollray

trollray Registered

Better a small draw than a big discussion...

View attachment 4479 View attachment 4480

I just have use a small blur on RF2 screenshot and balance of colors. (Like it will be at gold release i presume ;) )

You see a so big difference?

7. thuGG

thuGG Registered

So you manipulated the rF2 pic and expect us to treat you seriously?

8. tjc

tjc Registered

Agree 100% mclaren777...

Good post. :)

AC is also a small team as others have said, but we have had very little to go by with AC apart from a few screens and some vids and those are not actual vids taken from within the game, they are vids taken on a camera of someone driving AC... not the same imo.

I`ve said this before and I`ll say it agin, imo ISI are doing a good job. Maybe some here think things should be done more quickly and done the way they`d like them done but ISI will do things the way they see fit.

9. tjc

tjc Registered

That`s one of my rf2 screens and tbh I think it looked better the way I took it which was totally unedited...

The blur does absolutely nothing for it in any way imo.

I think rf2 can look very realistic because it`s not all glossy and shiney... I too think the graphics could do with a polish up (which I`m sure they`ll get btw) but I don`t want the ott graphics of certain other titles in rf2... good, sharp, well done graphics by all means but realistic too which I think other titles have lost a bit tbh with all the gloss...

10. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

tjc, but for example pcars with its overglossines still looks more realistic. Just consider cars are detailed (extremely waxed/polished). In other words it's matter of artistic taste, people who prepares textures.
    In case of rF2 it is matter of engine. Inconsistent reflections (cube vs specular, scene rendered into cubemaps uses different shaders than main scene) make it just unrealistic. This is the main flaw (besides optimization).

Just out of curiosity: what you and other will say after AC release, if it will be real sim with modern gfx?

11. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

You see what i mind?

Thinking in that way rF2 never be competitive in the market, thats equal money, thats equal better physics, better graphics, all this having aside the nietzsche rf lovers like us.

12. tjc

tjc Registered

Well firstly MaXyM I don`t agree. I think pCARS looks unrealistic because of the glossy/shiney look. I think it`s too much, too ott if you like and that takes away from the realistic look imo.

Your saying (I think) that SMS guys do it as a matter of taste and that rf2 can`t really do it to that level becuase the engine (as it is) won`t allow it?

Well I think (although I don`t know for sure obviously) that rf2 will have the capabilities to have much better looking graphics with more shine and good, realistic reflections etc... I certainly hope so but I don`t want the level of pCARS gloss and shine as it`s just not realistic looking imo. You seem to think it is and to be fair, you seem to know what your talking about, more than I do on these subjects but I`m hoping for realistic graphics, as I see them and not to ott keeping it realistic imo.

I hope that makes some kind of sence lol...

Going by what I`ve seen, yes I would say something like that. I can only go on the very little I`ve seen of this sim so far but if it looks like it does now at release then I would say it is a real sim with modern graphics... although AC looks good and has very nice graphics, I don`t think (going purely by screens) they are as ott as pCARS for eg, therefor giving them high end graphics but keeping it realistic looking... imo. :)

13. tjc

tjc Registered

+1

:)

14. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

If you had such polished car, it would look like in pCARS. What is unrealistic in pcars is ammount of reflection on some cars, not how reflection is generated. Such reflection may appear in real word (doesn't matter on one car or another). But what is important, that those reflections and whole lighting of scene is consistent and believable in matter of physical properties.

rF2 is not able to reproduce correctly such glossines even if you would want it. But what is worse, it is not able to reproduce correctly semi-gloss or even matte material. It's what is missing in rf2 gfx engine. That's why glass will never looks like glass, aluminium as aluminium and rubber as rubber.

Yep... I have a hope too. But I even don't know if ISI is heading this direction. From what I can see, they struggle with it a lot having no idea how to achieve it. Sometimes it looks like wander in the dark. I (as well as others) would like to see some statement from ISI about this, other than "we will focus on it later".

15. tjc

tjc Registered

Very possibly your right... maybe it is the amount of reflection in pCARS that causes this unrealistic look (imo) but whatever it is, it just doesn`t look right to me. I`m not here to critisize SMS btw, I played pCARS myself for quite some time but I just feel it`s wandered off in a direction that doesn`t please me right now...

Maybe sometimes the process of developing new software can be a bit of wander in the dark... trying new things etc doesn`t always work out first time I guess...

I hear what your saying about the "lack" of statements etc from ISI. I too would like a bit more info sometimes but as I`ve said, it seems to be the way they operate and do things and I do believe they`ll give an excellent sim in the end. :)

16. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

"The proof is in the pudding."
    I run both rF2 and PCARS. Heck! I still own every sim and sim game produced all the way back to GP2. I keep them to remind myself how far we've come in simracing.
    Every Friday I get a patch for pCars. I'll take a car or two out on track and run a few laps. I then spend the rest of the week running rF2, while I wait for the next SMS patch hoping they can sort out the clear lack of mass in the cars and the external sound issues. Bottom line is this: Pcars is pretty and has lots of potential but at this stage of the game, most will admit that nothing beats a well setup Clio at Croft. The handling, the way the chassis reacts, nothing comes remotely close. That's not to say that ISI doesn't need to step up their game considerably...quite the contrary. I'm not giving anybody a 'free pass'. It's been a very, very long time since rF2 was announced prior to the open beta.
    We went for what ...three, maybe four years? While I really like their plan for rf2, the car's graphics should've been much further along...even at release. All I can guess is that they don't want to show their cards too early. I hope so anyway.

1 person likes this.
  17. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Exactly what I do, and sums up my feelings nicely.

18. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

yeah, right. And to not show cards too early, they purposely create bugs and issues. lol
    Maybe they have rf2 ready for 4 years already, but spent this time cheating competition :D

19. Bart S

Bart S Member

I think graphical improvements are spread out throughout all the released builds, I noticed an older build look more similar to a more recent build. I notice this because it seems like they test something then take it out on the next major build while adding something else to replace it. It seams like other than physics which progresses with each released build they cycle through different graphic builds I get the feeling theres about 3-4 different graphic builds.

20. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Well not exactly, there is the point that tech has moved on quite a way since this engine was written and to release before they at least got some optimisation done to use that new tech would be foolish. Last update brought multi processor so that is a start, maybe that is causing some of the delay...who knows LOL

Sorry should have used quote that was in reply to Max

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.