Graphics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Craigjw, Oct 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Craigjw

Craigjw Registered

Are there any plans to give the game decent graphics (upgrade the graphics engine), as it seems very 2007-ish in look and feel.

Cars don't shine, have no gloss, textures seem lacking. Any plans to use DirectX 11 perhaps?

2. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

Short answer: no plans for DX11.

3. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

who knows maybe they are working on brand new gfx engine... it might be excuse for current devel progression ;)

true is that gfx is f*** up and ISI doesn't want to talk about its future.

4. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

If you are expecting rFactor 2 to look like pCARS you are in for a big disappointment. There will likely be some improvements to the graphics overall in the coming months, but don't expect photorealism here.

While pCARS looks nice, imo the cars are way too shiny. Real race cars tend to be a bit dirty unless new bodywork was just put on. Too much gloss makes the cars look terrible.

I think rFactor2's graphics do need a little something, but I would much rather have a Sim that's polished in the "Sim" department, not the "eye-candy" department.

5. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I'm sure it is possible with a little of effort. It's really not space-shutle technology.

SMS is working on dynamic dirt on cars. At the end it is easier to dimm effect a bit since it is correct regarding calculations.

Agree. But currently we have none of these and have no guarantee even single one will be polished. Now, I'm expecting an answer: "rf2 is not intended to be finished, it will be constantly developed" which only proves my words ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2012
  6. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

They could've told me they weren't gonna finish it before I bought the damn thing! :eek:

7. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Im sure i read a post from Tim saying DX11 is still a possibility in future.

8. tjc

tjc Registered

I think I remeber something similar from Tim baked bean... also iirc he`s said a few times that the colours in rf2 will be improved when the graphics get an overhaul so yeh, the graphics will be improving for sure but personally I don`t want them to like a certain other titles graphics as they are waaay ott imo.

9. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

There is ONE reason sim's exist - immersion. Graphics maybe the simplest and most straightforward way to achieve that - but it is not the best. Physics is where it is at. Then comes graphics and audio. And I am certain you will see significant improvements there. However you need to realise - that is the very LAST thing that will be polished.

10. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Do you mean gfx or phisics?
    Before you answer, consider ISI's statement it will be not finished, rather constantly developed.

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Dx11 has nothing to do with it, PCars (or many other games) in dx9 mode, looks almost just as good, and in some ways even better than in dx11 mode.

It's all to do with the graphics engine itself, not wether it's dx9 or dx11, as PCars and many other games prove.

Id like to see a ginormous sound engine update. Just like in about all games, its wayyyyyyy behind the graphics, regardless of how good or bad the graphics actually are.

12. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Almost every software title today is doing the same thing. They release a product and it remains in constant development with patches and downloadable content that you can get to improve the product. This is nothing new.

13. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I believe you know difference between "to patch something" and "to develop something".

14. trollray

trollray Registered

Hello all.

I just want to tell you something.
    As said before, the physical engine is the first step, next, come the others.

I have seen so much disapointment adressed to ISI on graphycal stuff, that sometimes, i don't know where they find the energy to work at RF2. lol ;)
    But, no problem, they know they have so many reason to continue the hard work.

If you talk about all the aspects except the graphism, RF2win all the comparaisons.
    Sorry guys but this is the most promising sim in every way that have been given to simracers.
    The weather, temperatures, physicals, turbos, tyres deformation and so much things that are planned or already done makes this sim with the best potential.

After that, when you look well in terms of graphism, you must talk about two different aspects too.
    The 3d Engine and the post effects.

SO, PCARS tracks are not so detailed than RF2 in terms of 3d.
    YES that's true !
    If you want to compare, move away from the car view and focus on each details and numbers of 3d objects. (DOn't pay attention to the other effects like blur etc...)
    No doubt, RF2 have a great potential.

The post effects, or what i called them are really well done in PCARS for sure.
    But, this can be managed later on a graphical engine and with the lot of work to do with the rest, it wil not be the priority of RF2 for the moment.

I can prove it simply.
    Look at the old (2011) video of rain effect in RF2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzWNZcCIYks

This is not like this for now, it's not so great i mean!
    SO, yes ISI will do a great job and maybe they are at a very different stage of graphism for now but everyone must understand that optimised graphics mean also to be compatible with all the material and configurations before launched.

PCARS have the work 90% already done by SMS other titles like NFS shift...
    ISI is working on an physical engine totaly revolutionary and that will boot all the other sims in the rank of old model.
    The Graphism then?
    No problem, that will come and it will be just the top of the whole icebergh. But be patient

Just compare to what is done and use a post effect stuff on your screenshots.. The results can go to magical and that how it will be when it comes GOLD.

THanks ISI for the big big work and not giving us just a game of cars but a real simulation. ;)

15. mpracer

mpracer Registered

+1

this is the rule for a car simulation, the others are just video games

16. killerwatt

killerwatt Registered

Surely you mean your expected answer rather than ISI's answer? You really shouldn't misinform in this way.

17. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

ISI stated a few times, and some forum members bring this argument again and again: rf2 will be under constand developement and is not considered as finished after gold.
    I answered on Nand's post in which he supposed that gfx may be done after other things finished... but what if physics will be under constant developement? Then we got never decent gfx. That was my point.

BTW, After I saw new tracks available for rf2, now I'm sure ISI must not work on gfx anymore. Waste of time indeed. :(

18. Tosch

Tosch Registered

You have to differentiate between features that are not implemented and features that are not activated or reduced. Most of the features that would make this game look cool are turned down so much in the hdr profile that they are almost invisible. Do your self a favour and fire up devmode and tweak the settings until you like it. Post a screenshot how the game should look like.

Here is mine. Tweaks i have done.
    - Mat properties: enhance specular reflection for the road
    - Mat properties: enhance specular reflection for the car body
    - Mat properties: enhance fresnel reflection for car body and helmet
    - Fx settings: Added some bloom.
    - Fx settings: lowered air density (better ambient lightning, not so yellowish)
    - Weather gfx: changed fog to linear with reduced distance

Standard settings

[​IMG]

Tweaked settings

[​IMG]

19. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

He only posts to instigate arguments.

20. Jempy

Jempy Registered

Just tried RF2 for a short time ... downloaded 1 week ago ;) .. and I must say that I'm quite charmed with the driving and FFB and know that graphical improvements will come later.
    Perfect graphism is surely beautiful but might make problem for users with not very powerful hardware.

Just one thing I find necessary to improve is ... the look through windscreen in closed cars: I noticed it in all models: Nissan, Clios and Megane. They look dirty and have too much reflection of the dashboard, making the view unclear ... as if smoking in the car for 3 months and never washing the windscreen inside the car :p

Maybe I missed something, some setting I have to tweak in the graphical options ... I don't know, there's already so much to read in the forum :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.