rfactor 2 Car models and lighting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FONismo, Oct 22, 2012.

1. gpfan

gpfan Registered

Lol your right.....

2. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Not letting me give you reputation points Maxy for some reason but well done! Don't understand why i just got a crappy message either off this thread but fair enough

3. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Yes FONismo,I know that and with my last phrase"only feels3 circuit can match them" I wanted to say that ISI should and could do better!

4. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Ps:Where are you tuttle?:p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry double post!

5. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

He's waiting for GOLD :p

6. Tolik

Tolik Registered

sutch a big nose, where is that car from ? ;) looks nice

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah and I agree but give them a chance :) dont forget that just because ISI are professionals it does'nt mean they should be better than feels3 (for example sake), I know many "professionals" in my line of work and they suck at their jobs.....happens in every industry not just computer gaming stuff. I'm sure future ISI tracks will go up a notch or two as no doubt they have seen the communities work to date and seen where they can improve, natural progression I call it.

Not our place to tell ISI who to hire though, they have a business and thats their business!

As for CTDP its just another mod team throwing toys out the pram ,they all knew what the Beta was about, yes its lasted longer than expected but have they ever hit their targets with release dates and been happy with that?! They should realise and know that a lot goes into making a game not just a mod....a lot more, sure ISI may wish they did it differently with the Beta but hindsight is a wonderful thing. As for people laughing at RF2 and saying how they will switch to AC....how do they know what thats gonna be like? simple...they dont, they're guessing its gonna be "great" and "fab" in all areas over RF2 and it probably will be in some but they cant know for sure it will be modder friendlier than RF2 until they get thier mitts on it! (thats not directed at you FON just the usual ramblings at a certain other website!!!)

8. RMachucaA

RMachucaA Registered

Good example GT.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2012
  9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Thats where you're wrong, RF2 is going to be different from rF1 as ISI are releasing a helluva lot more content themselves, therefore the main drive of the game is coming from them with added community efforts. As has already been stated, RF2 has a lot more ISI content now than rF1 did at launch....and we're still in Beta!

10. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Your right it's not my place to say who to hire, i'm just making a suggestion rather than saying do it. About CTDP well i think general modders throwing stuff out of the pram can be ignored but i think teams like CTDP mean a bit more. Either way i'm in it for the long run as i have always been. It's a shame things can't be discussed without people getting rubbed up the wrong way though. It's a fair enough discussion IMO.

edit: And btw yes i agree totally with AC, said the same on VirtualR the other day. I can't wait for it, bit it's not gonna be perfect and it will have it's own issues. Everyone seems to think it's gonna be the perfect sim on release but i don't think so. Either way it's gonna be great but all the hype is too excessive and the expectation it will be 100% sorted on release is silly

11. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

12. Flaux

Flaux Registered

I really feel like a tech-nerd in this very moment (I am NOT! :p) but,...

...right now I would like ISI to forget about all the models and the textures and keep focusing on the maths. We might have 5 to 7 years, maybe 10 years of rf2 modding in front of us. We pushed rf1 to it's limits after what? 3 years maybe? Later came the addition of custom shaders of course which gave the sim another high, graphically.

I want rf2 to have the best features it could ever have. A lot of it is just coding the exe. Getting all those lovely features in and right. Let the engine do as much as it could by itself. So we can focus on creating mods and let the engine bring it alive.

Realtime shadows
    Realroad
    Cloud animation
    Turbo engines
    echo/reverb sound
    physics (big field)

...well complete the list by yourself, it will take some time for sure. And this is all mathematics. :eek: Those will be the features that make rf2 stand out in the end and I hope there will be new features we didn't know about.

Thoughts?

PS: Trust me, the first 5mins after reading this thread I was like "yehhh bring those super HD models n stuff! It's about time!" :p

1 person likes this.
  13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

well obviously no idea what was said privately, although I do worry about ISI myself and their future, that comes from the lack of communication from their end but thats another story entirely!

Wont continue the CDTP thing here, not the place and sorry for ranting a bit about it!

At the end of the day I want RF2 to succeed as much as anyone, I express my dismay at their way of doing things differently to others but that does'nt mean I dont want whats best. I want to see RF2 top of the pile in years to come and forgive me if I have a little faith that they can and will deliver, if its not then so be it, thats life and I'll move on when ready!

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

5 to 7 tops, anything after that and the game will be outdated again, very few games have ever lasted more than 5 years successfully but I guess we can rely on the community efforts to prolong that (hopefully!!)
    I too want RF2 to have the very best features, but I do wish - and this is just my personal opinion - they they would've got the basics right first then added fancy extras a long the way. UI for example...yes its not the core of the game but its the simple thing that delivers the game into your lap and RF2s UI is worse than rF1s in its lack of usability. INI files are something DOS fans are raving about, we should'nt be messing with stuff in a text file it should already be there in the UI added upon each update with new things, editing INI files is sooooo 1990s ;)
    The whole modding aspect, (yes I know its being worked on!) but for me it should be the main focus alongside optimisation during Beta, this was regarded as a modders beta afterall but we're just as blind to ISIs plans with it as anyone...again lack of communication and not knowing what direction RF2 is heading in...all we ever get is "its being worked on" not whether our help is aiding them in any way, not if our forum threads are helping them perfect it so we dont have a poxy clue whats going on hence the frustration by some (and me!) at the lack of significant progress...of which there could be tons behind closed doors but we're not mind readers!

anyway enough rambling, back to Diablo III :p

15. tjc

tjc Registered

If certain modders have shown what can be done with ISI`s engine then I have no fear or doubt ISI can, and will also do it...

I appreciate the frustration here guys, I really do but imo we have to give ISI time.

It`ll all come imo. :)

16. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

And you don't understand that this content is there as a foundation for modding?

Why would ISI be helping the community so much, and consider this content as "mods" (ISI's words, not mine) when, as you say, they could just develop and improve the graphics of these cars/tracks and release it as an entire Sim? Why would they? Because that's not what this Sim is about. This Sim is about the mods, as it always has been.

What made rFactor so good? Mods.

I am still baffled that so many people don't understand that.

17. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Or maybe I've something better to do than talking in this thread...;)

18. djvicious

djvicious Registered

19. Kibbs

Kibbs Registered

20. 10speed

10speed Registered

The detail of 3d models and textures is not so important for me. Just take the tracks as an example. At least for me several tracks released recently (Croft, Fuji and Sears Point ...) by modders are far ahead compared to ISI's stuff. It's not the number of polys or texture detail in the first place but the overall look / atmosphere. Makes me think "hmm, the colors ... delicious", whereas Mills looks ... ugly. Regarding cars there will be several modding groups pushing rf2 to its real limits. Have a look at WSGT2 render previews and you'll know what is possible. But then there is the ingame rendering: See the rfactor2-screenshots-thread and you have to admit there are specific conditions (camera position, angle, ingame time and weather conditions) where the cars look ok. But then again in most other conditions they look overexposed and colors desaturated. So instead of a nice paint finish you just see flat areas. Maybe other developers have added too much bling-bling-ingredience (pCars). But then you can simply deactivate the bling-bling (graphic effects) you don't like and adjust the looks to your liking. With rf2 it's different because you can tell at first glance from any screenshot that it was taken from a computer game no matter which graphics settings were chosen.