SLI, fps in the gutter

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Opulence, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Opulence

Opulence Registered

With sli enabled (3 X gtx480) and everything maximum details (4X AA), Build 108, in general ~15-20 fps. No AA, no HDR etc., no change.

No sli, ~40-45 fps. I remember the early builds having the same problem, at at some point sli worked much better in one of the next builds, but forgot which one. I haven't played in a while, it seems the problem exists again in build 108.

Sorry if this is a duplicate bug or already known...

i7 930@4GHZ, 3x480gtx, 2560*1600, Win7 or Win8 no difference.

2. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Unless you specifically need them for some other game or something else (i.e triple monitor, etc...), I'd highly recommend you remove two of those 480s and get what you can while the going is good. I've run rF2 with GTX560Ti-SLI, then on a single GTX560Ti at max settings and now on a single GTX670. Believe it or not, the framerates are actually about the same. I'm not complaining here mind you...it runs extremely smooth on all three setups. It just seems to respond better to large memory buffers more than extremely powerful cards.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2012
  3. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

I tested yesterday a new fresh installation of the 118 build and last nVidia drivers. I have a SLI of 2 460 GTX on one monitor in 1680x1050 and the FPS are very low, impossible to drive in these conditions.

Tested with the same parameters of rF1 in nVidia drivers (80 FPS in full grid of more than 30 cars in Sebring with Endurance Series mod), and

and in rF2 with all at max without FXAA and I have 40 FPS Alone and not really smooth, and 12 FPS on grid with 10 AI ...

I tested without HDR, and I go to 25FPS on grid and 60 on track alone, and it's not really smooth :(

Is One day the SLI will work on rF2, because, I can drive correctly, the feeling is not here due to bad FPS since start of Beta with my SLI on rF2 :(. Very tired of that.

I will test this week my FPS with only one card active to compare, just to check.

4. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

@MaD_King
    I found that rebuilding the player folder after the b.118 install helped alot.
    On b.107, I was getting around 72-85 fps on a single GTX560Ti and around 87-101 in SLI at 2304x1440.
    Initially on updating to b.118, after installing a new GTX670, it was way down to around 50 fps...(not bad...but not what I expected and certainly not as smooth as before). After removing the player folder and letting rf2 rebuild it, the framerate went back up to around 65 fps and got smooth again..

5. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

In my post I indicated a NEW FRESH installation, so nothing in the directory of the new installation (no content).

I tested now with a single card, and I have :
    I have 80 FPS Alone and smooth, and 33 FPS on grid with 10 AI
    I tested without HDR, and I go to 42FPS on grid and 60 on track and alone I go to 95 FPS, and it's smooth.

So it's really linked to the SLI :(

6. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

SLI is not optimal at this stage. The guys have said special viewing options and the like will get addressed later in the list of priorities so I'm sure they'll get to it. I'd just disable it for now before launching rF2.

7. Spyder

Spyder Registered

Opulence, have you turned off reflections? I have to turn them off with my 680s and the frames shoot up from 50 to 120 @5760x1080, everything else maxed.

8. Opulence

Opulence Registered

Yes, it works decent if on medium settings. However it is worse with sli on for sure. One of the worst things is mirrors on of all things, go figure. Having mirrors on even without seeing them cuts about 15-20 fps for me.

9. ORA-Quasi

ORA-Quasi Registered

Obviously why I'm not getting what I expected with a HD 6990 4Gb, I guess:)

It runs quite smooth, and looks fine (not excellent but maybe I expected too much), and 44 FPS is plenty to race with....but that is alone, not in a race.

Everything is on full with AA on 4x (in Catalyst not RF2 config), whilst AF is at 16x. I imagine RF2 is detecting the card as two in CrossFire, and therefore it is not optimised for it as yet.

Anybody give me a heads up on whether I shout have it set, under 'Display', to Bilinear, Trilinear, or the AF setting?

10. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

If you have set a game profile in your graphics software for AF @ x16, then it would overide any in-game AF settings. Its going to try and smooth out the jaggies for you similar to AA.

Try disabling the AF in the catalyst and then running the AF in rF2 display settings, worst to best - bilinear, trilinear, AFx2 x4 x6 x8 x16. From what I could remember when testing the ingame AF settings, they wernt anywhere near as powerful as the windows stuff, ie Catalyst and ATI tray tools and the rest!

On my 32" Sony with HD5750, I use 1600x900, so I see alot of jaggies when close up. My settings in ATI Tray tools are x4 AA and x8 AF. Looks as good as 1920x1080 and runs faster. :)

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Hasn't it always been.........

People should complain more to graphics makers for abysmal mutli-card multi-monitor performance.

At least more then what ISI gets for all its beta bugs combined.

But generation after generation of card we cop it with a whimper. lol :)

12. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

Here we go... again.

Only way to get SLi or Crossfire to work properly would be to resurrect 3DFX, or at least get a hold of their engineers, and ask them how they did it right, in the early 90's. IE: VooDoo 5000

As in my recommendations on other threads... Just buy the top of the line ATi or nVidea card, and have a nice day. Unless 3DMark scores are all important... (I don't even bother with scoring computers) My experience shows that your money is better spent on one card as apposed to 2, 3, or even 4 cards.

Also, if your rig's foundation (mother board) wasn't one designed from the git go for gaming, you may be just tossing your money away anyways.

DD is correct, it's not the game's fault... I've run 2 HD7970s... Pulled the second one out and sold it... I had problems in rF1, iRacing, pCars, and Aces High II. Until the manufactures of these cards make them more hardware dependent, as apposed to software profiles... I don't see a real future for multiple GPUs.

All of this is just my humble opinion.

Hope it helps,

Bryan

13. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Totally agree with that, I have in mind to buy a 670 GTX and sell my two 460GTX and forget the SLI. Perhaps since it will be only hardware, and kick of the software profiles that are the source of our problems, but I have no hope on that !!!

14. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

If it is any help I run a single 670 2gig and triples and it works well, I couldn't afford the 4gig but it seems to be fine on 2gig with full settings. Hopefully with more optimisation it will only get better.

15. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Good to know, thanks.