Build 118 and AMD Graphics Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marc Collins, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

What's the best configuration?

FXAA or traditional AA?

Application controlled or card controlled AF and AA?

Adaptive Multi-Sample AA or Super-Sampling?

...and what combination of all the above?

The build 118 graphics (traditional AA) are vastly improved on my rig, by frame rates are destroyed in the process :(

Just wondering what others have found success with?

2. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

Without touching the defaults in catalyst, I only used the in-game settings. Through simple experimentation (i.e certainly not scientific) on my crossfire 6770/5770 rig, I noticed little visual or performance difference between the AA choices. FXAA however did look better, with a mild performance hit. Turning AA to lvl3 and FXAA on was a performance hit I could easily live with, so I left them both at that. I keep HDR off, primarily because I personally think it makes the colours gaudy. But the one thing I did that really made a difference was turning sync on to "video". Smooth as a babies bottom on a 60hz screen (only works when your system can stay above 60fps, however).

Mostly useless info, but I hope it helps.

1 person likes this.
  3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Don't sell yourself short sounds all good to me. :)

4. Nige

Nige Registered

To be honest Im struggling to get this game running really well (mainly)compared to some of the other guys on this forum with similar pc specs as me. Quite frustrating, is it because of my AMD 7850 compared to there nvidia's like the 560,660 etc cause the 7850 out performs the 560's.

But I'll keep trying to find a balance. Really hope Tim has a brake through with AMD though or the other way around ;)

5. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Turn the HDR OFF is the way to go:)I did it the first time yesterday and it changed my life,20-25fps increased and better looking colors!

6. Nige

Nige Registered

Yea thats what I've done :) Like I said, it runs fine on my pc, just disappointed I cant turn it up a notch without having heavy lag, thought my pc would be enough but guess not :(

Im hoping its something on ISI or AMD's side, cause I dont want to upgrade again for awhile :rolleyes:

7. RafBR

RafBR Registered

I use:
    - Fxaa off (I dont really know what is it for :D);
    - AA off;
    - Max resolution (full HD) compensates the lack of AA and gives me high frame rates;
    - HDR on;

In game I set everything to high/full except for the shadows that I let it medium.

I am using multiview for three screens. But this should work for single screen aswell.

8. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

There are several things that will impact frame rates. First is HDR, as it can make a huge difference. Second is AA which also can make a huge difference in fps. Track reflections and shadows are also heavy hitters on the fps.

For the time being, track reflections should be turned off, AA in your CCC should be on lower settings. FXAA in game should be off. Shadows should be either low or medium, but nothing higher. Sync to video from the settings in the launcher is a good idea as well.

Just play with those settings until you get a balance of fps vs visual that you can settle for. Don't worry about what others are getting for fps, just shoot for smooth graphics as this will make driving more enjoyable that higher fps that isn't smooth.

9. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

I don't know about this. I HAVE to have 60fps or else the immersion for me is gone. The problem I have is mentally separating replay performance from driving performance. My card performs exceptionally better in the cockpit view than it does in the replays. Which leads me to another thing. I started up rFactor 2 last night and was racing along nicely, but I noticed I wasn't getting 60fps. Felt more like high 30's to mid 40's or so. Probably not even that low since it was a while before I even noticed what was going on. Well I took a peek at Afterburner and had noticed I hadn't even set the profile for overclock. Infact I had everything downclocked as low as possible. I call it my "youtube" setting. Seems to me I should have seen some drastic performance hits but it really wasn't all that drastic. Very strange I must say.

10. tjc

tjc Registered

I seem to get the opposite sometimes... I`ve seen me getting 30 - 40 fps when in cockpit driving but when I go to replay it shoots up to mid to high 50`s or steady 60 but as I say, this only happens sometimes.

11. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

In replays I know I have a lot more fps than I do in cockpit on track, but I suppose that is because the replay is only single screen and racing is triple. Will be nice when they fix this so I can see my replays.

12. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I believe the 'visual physics' are a little dumbed down in replays also, and would account for your FPS.

13. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Any chance we could see some much better replays in the future? Right now they leave a lot to be desired :)

No offense :)

I'd love to see a full rich replay with all the physics enabled for all cars on the track and watch then in all their glory.

14. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

If that's the case then why is it the opposite for me?

15. cluj

cluj Registered

Hi guys, I take the thread if anyone can help me, except for the Build 90 with which i had a good performance with the rest I have not managed to achieve an optimal level of performance and graphic details, with the new ATI drivers (12.11 beta) get between 35 and 40 FPS depending on the mod and circuit, that has made me have almost abandoned the game, I have not too much patience configuring or computer knowledge, if someone with an ATI 6950 and three monitors has achieved a good result I would appreciate post your settings ingame and in CCC, PS sorry for my English.

System Specs:

CPU:AMD Phenom II X6 3.2 GHz
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula Republic of Gamers
    Memory: 4GB DDR3
    Video:Sapphire Radeon 6950 2GB DDR5 HDMI
    Audio: Realtek 5.1
    Internet: Wireless 6MB
    Monitor: 3xHanns-g 22"

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2012
  16. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

5870 here in Eyefinity and about the best I can do is basically all settings to medium, no environment reflections, rain or any of that and a resultuion of 4800 x 900 (can't run the native 5870 x 1080). With those settings I can usually get around 50-60 FPS online, with quite a few cars. On the starting grid the frames drop into the 40's sometimes 30's.

It get's real choppy at that point (hoping for more optimization by ISI before it goes Gold).

I'm not sure newer drivers are the way to go, at least for me running a 5800 series card. I seem to have the best frames and performance on the 11.11c drivers. Anything in the 12's does nothing but cause problems.

17. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I am running the 12.4 drivers Cluj and I am able to run my setup with almost everything maxed. Take a look at my profile and you will see my system specs are very close to yours. I am getting smooth frame rates, though I don't pay attention to fps I just worry about smooth.

My settings in CCC are pretty much default values, though I did untick the triple buffering as it doesn't need to be ticked for most games. In game I have the following:

Configure Sim:
    HDR ticked and Multi-View ticked. Anti-Aliasing set to level 2, sync set to GPU though I might try video later and see what that does.

In Game:
    pretty much everything is maxed though shadows is set to fast.

Will try 12.11 beta driver in a little while and see if anything changes.

18. cluj

cluj Registered

Thanks for the answers guys, I will follow your advices, I have really wanted to enjoy the game in its fulness.

19. kro388th

kro388th Registered

I just tried the 12.10's as they are offical now lol ,with these and the new build 118 I see a nice improvment over the last set for sure ! Ive gone from 35- 40 on grid with 20+cars* setteling to 60-70 after first turn and ok for rest of race to strong 80's now and never dipping under 60 and Ive seen over 100 for the first time- F2's at Snettetron ! and at Brianza (the track that gives me worst FPS at paddoc area when cars are present, like 30 fps) holds in the 80's with dipping to hi 60's in thoe's bad areas(no drop in fps if no cars are parked in pits)

*(i have my visable vehicle set to 10,so the 20+ cars on the grid is not reely relevant but the online race had up to 25 cars at one point, so that makes the starting grid FPS dip a bit more dramatic being only with 10 cars visible lol, I dont need to see more than that many cars in front or back of me to race lol)

I have a gigabite 6970 2gDDR5 on a gigabite MB with 8 gigs of DDR3
    AMD phenomII x4 @3200 so im AMD all the way it seems ..lol I dont know if that helps or hurts ..hah I had nvid card befor but alwase had issues ...

In CCC I have :
    Anti-Aliasing = App controlled
    Anisotropic = App controlled
    Tessellation = AMD Optimized checked
    Texture filtering = Quality (on center tic)
    Wait for vertical refresh= one tic right from performance
    Anti-Aliasing Moad = far left to performance ( with these new drivers i tried center tic and still had 60+ fps but it droped to low 50's around paddoc when AI are parked so i put it back to left)
    OpenGL settings =Tripple buffering tic'd

In game settings :
    Curcuit detail=Full
    Player Detail= full
    Opponent detail=high
    Texture = high
    Texture filter= X16
    Special effects= high
    Shadows= High
    Shadow blur= fast
    movies= om
    Sun Occlusion= on
    Rain drops= yes
    Road reflection =off
    Environment reflection= no
    Wind and crowed= no
    Visible cars is set to 10

Rf config:

My screen rez= 1920x1200 32
    HDR=on (tic'd)
    FXAA=on (tic'd)
    Sync = none (used vid befor but no need now and no input lag at all)
    Anti Aliasing= level 8
    Refresh rate@60Hz
    Wide screen = tic'd

Game looks verry good with these settings for me and im quite pleased so far! ;-)

Your milage my vary !!

20. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Well, I updated to 12.10 and played around some more. Seems like there isn't any optimization after all.

Game still looks bad unless you use Super-Sampling, which kills frame rates.

Shadows strobe and look completely artificial, unless you use Max, which kills frame rates.

HDR looks good (though lots of tweaking is still yet to come I hope to get rid of the cartoonish appearance), but drops frame rate pretty badly.

I await graphics performance optimization...